Reasons To R.E.L.A.X ; Look at Bills teams from past

Like A Mofo

Listening to WGR for awhile and reading twtter and come comments here, you would think that Richard Jauron has entered the building and the Bills are back to their losing ways again.

Take a breath. Relax. The Bils are still 4-1.

Last night was simple: Tennessee had 2+ weeks to prep for this game, the Bills had 3 crucial turnovers that gave the Titans amazing field position. It happens. It was a bad night. Special teams had major breakdowns. Allen had some ill advised throws and was off. The running game was putrid. The Bills weren't outplayed as bad as the score indicates.

Just look at our own franchise history, now I know the NFL is different know then in the glory years of the early 90's but..

The 1992 Buffalo Bills started 4-0 and were on fire. Then the Bills lost at home to Miami 37-10, the Bills were hammered, could you imagine this board in 1992? In fact, the Bills lost the next week again 20-3, this place would have melted down. That Bills team of course went in to win the AFC.

1990: Week 2 the Bills were hammered by Miami 30-7, and the Bills proceeded to win their next several games on the way to their first Super Bowl.

Am I saying the 2020 Buffalo Bills will enjoy the same results? Who knows. A true measure of how good a team is is how to they react after a bad loss. Let's see what this team is made of next week.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We weren't going to win every game. We will still likely lose 4 more. The defense is still the most troubling aspect of this team. The last couple of years we have been mainly healthy, especially at key positiions. This year we have some important players missing time, as well as some others who opted out due to Covid concerns. Hopefully this team is playing it's best football on both sides of the ball and healthy heading into January. After that all bets are off and it's a one game season every time we step on the field. 

• Like (+1) 3

Before the season started I went game by game & had the record 11-5.  So far I've picked every game right in my pre season predictions. Unfortunately, I had them losing to KC to go 4-2 before winning 3 of the next 4 to be 7-3 going into the bye.  The final 2 losses were @ SF & @ NE and right now I think the SF game can safely be put in the W column.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Listening to WGR for awhile and reading twtter and come comments here, you would think that Richard Jauron has entered the building and the Bills are back to their losing ways again.

Take a breath. Relax. The Bils are still 4-1.

Last night was simple: Tennessee had 2+ weeks to prep for this game, the Bills had 3 crucial turnovers that gave the Titans amazing field position. It happens. It was a bad night. Special teams had major breakdowns. Allen had some ill advised throws and was off. The running game was putrid. The Bills weren't outplayed as bad as the score indicates.

Just look at our own franchise history, now I know the NFL is different know then in the glory years of the early 90's but..

The 1992 Buffalo Bills started 4-0 and were on fire. Then the Bills lost at home to Miami 37-10, the Bills were hammered, could you imagine this board in 1992? In fact, the Bills lost the next week again 20-3, this place would have melted down. That Bills team of course went in to win the AFC.

1990: Week 2 the Bills were hammered by Miami 30-7, and the Bills proceeded to win their next several games on the way to their first Super Bowl.

Am I saying the 2020 Buffalo Bills will enjoy the same results? Who knows. A true measure of how good a team is is how to they react after a bad loss. Let's see what this team is made of next week.

This is what I began to hold onto late in the 3rd quarter last night, once it became clear it wasn't going to get better. 

I lived through those teams and remember getting hammered once or twice a season.

Carry on, Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember the golden era Bills getting waxed on national television by the Chiefs and Steelers.  We also got our butts kicked by the Oilers the week before the you-know-what game.  It happens.

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Before the season started I went game by game & had the record 11-5.  So far I've picked every game right in my pre season predictions. Unfortunately, I had them losing to KC to go 4-2 before winning 3 of the next 4 to be 7-3 going into the bye.  The final 2 losses were @ SF & @ NE and right now I think the SF game can safely be put in the W column.  

Same here except I had them going 10-6 after starting 4-2.

It was just one of those nights. Sometimes, and early play can set a tone that lasts until the final whistle.  That 1st INT was that play.

Then, it was just Murphy's Law - penalties (2 that extended eventual TD drives), more turnovers, not setting the edge, blown coverages, et al.  

I didn't see much in the game that gave me that feeling I've had in other seasons: that this team just can't compete, or isn't a contender.  I thought Allen was still great outside of the one bad INT.  

12 minutes ago, F.W. Cyclone said:

As soon as I saw yesterdays inactives I knew it was going to be a uphill climb for them to win

Same, but probably for a different reason..  When all of our questionable players were ruled inactive, including Tre White, I got this sinking feeling that our team was not mentally prepared to play this game.  

I'd say the inordinate amount of penalties and constant drops by our receivers is pretty strong evidence that there was a severe lack of focus.

Yes they are 4-1 but they had 4th quarter deficits in three of those games. If they lost a close game yesterday I think the panic would be less. But the defense has been consistently awful with a different excuse for each game. I will grant you injury issues but there are no DL injuries and they have sucked all year. 

11-5 is still quite possible but I had them at 11-5 with a win over Tenn. I'm worried about Pats (Newton and mental issues with that team), Seattle, Pittsburgh, KC, and maybe AZ. That is five possible losses that gets them to 10-6 at which time the playoff scenarios get more dicey.

Like I said in another post they should be favored or no more than 4 pt dogs in any game the rest of the way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Positive view - The team is 4-1. Allen has clearly improved a ton. The new weapons on offense are huge. This team can score with the best of them. One game stinker vs TEN does not change anything, they were not going to go 16-0. The D will get healthy and McD will fix it. 

Negative view - Yes the team is 4-1. But they were losing to MIA in the 4th quarter and took the lead with 6 minutes left. They were losing to the Rams until scoring with under a minute. Even the Raider game was in question until late. A win is a win but 4-1 with all contestable games and could easily be 2-3 or even 1-4. The TEN was a disaster as has been the D all season. Only the Bills and Raiders have winning records but a negative scoring differential. 

Edited by ngbills

Good thread and Like a Mofo...

I agree. I wrote this and was looking for a good thread to post it:

"I will be honest. I'm not worried about us. We beat ourselves last night. The Titans were the beneficiary of that. We just need to not beat ourselves. It sucks it happened in embarrassing fashion on primetime TV, but better to happen now then in a more crucial time."

We very well could lose to the Chiefs this week too. If we do we're still 4 and 2 with alot of football left. We have a tough schedule this year and we just need to get into the playoffs. I was hoping we were that lights out invincible team and JA was the MVP. Last night showed that we aren't that yet and he isn't that yet. That doesn't mean down the road we won't be and he won't be. We're still progressing toward that and are still a darn good team. 

Josh was 62% and threw for 263 and 2 tds (yeah 2 ints too but for a bad night I'd say)... that is growth right there. He and this team have grown. Just have to not beat ourselves and I think Josh will further craft his game on figuring out what do to in this type of game situation and it will bode well for us in the future.

Edited by akcash

We were missing 3 of our main cover guys, the Titans had 21 points off turnovers along with a garbage time TD.  We also had a lot of stupid penalties.  We definitely played a sloppy bad game, but it happens occasionally.  Im not nervous about the rest of the season, nor am I scared of the Titans if we meet in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, akcash said:

"I will be honest. I'm not worried about us. We beat ourselves last night. The Titans were the beneficiary of that. We just need to not beat ourselves. It sucks it happened in embarrassing fashion on primetime TV, but better to happen now then in a more crucial time."

The Bills primetime curse is alive and well!

• Haha (+1) 2

I am hoping it will be the freaking wake up call the Defense needs. 

For years we have been begging to offense to bail out the defense. This year the offense has been carrying this team. The one week they needed the defense to step up they failed. Maybe this will get them to say ***** the offense cannot bail us out all the time. 

also maybe it finally wakes the offense up as well showing them you cannot go into a shell for entire QTRs of a game and ends this third QTR thing they have going for years now. 

knowing the offense has performed so well this year and Not seeing a complete game from them yet is really encouraging for me though. 

Not to be Debbie Downer, but if you're going by past years, remember the last time the Bills started 4-0...

2008: The 4-0 Bills fly into Arizona only to be demolished by a Cardinal team that took out Trent Edwards and knocked the living snot out of him and he was never the same...ever...again.  Team finished 7-9...

The NFL is a week-to-week league and we've been high for a month.  You're only as good as your last game.  Last night stung, a lot, but it's in the rear-view mirror and the ship has to right itself against Mahomes and company or we're going to think the sky is falling and continue to fall until our next win.

The Bills were exposed last night, pure and simple.  Porous defense, anemic run game but with a gunslinger that can beat you.  We're not the 1990 Bills or even the 2008 squad...we're somewhere in between...and only time will tell. 

Edited by Ned Flanders