We Need Elite Pass Rushers

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We need elite pass rushers.

Yeah, we need them because look at how the last ten Super Bowl winners have them. "Elite," as you went out of your way to say.

Oh, wait, slmost none of them do. 

Frank Clark is very fine, but he's not elite. The Pats never have one. The 2017 Eagles? Nope. 

You do find one with the 2015 Broncos, but that's the only one.

We don't need one. It would certainly be great if we could get one, but you don't need one to win a Super Bowl, you just don't.

36 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I think Houston and Barrett are FA next year.

Please.

Neither of these guys is elite. Nor can we afford one next year.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, we need them because look at how the last ten Super Bowl winners have them. "Elite," as you went out of your way to say.

Oh, wait, slmost none of them do. 

Frank Clark is very fine, but he's not elite. The Pats never have one. The 2017 Eagles? Nope. 

You do find one with the 2015 Broncos, but that's the only one.

We don't need one. It would certainly be great if we could get one, but you don't need one to win a Super Bowl, you just don't.

Please.

Neither of these guys is elite. Nor can we afford one next year.

Elite is a relative term. There is yearly elite numbers ( top 10) and generational elite players. I’m mostly talking about top 10 any given year. While obviously you don’t need one to win a Super Bowl, if you have a QB like Allen, it will almost certainly improve your chances. 

20 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Elite is a relative term. There is yearly elite numbers ( top 10) and generational elite players. I’m mostly talking about top 10 any given year. While obviously you don’t need one to win a Super Bowl, if you have a QB like Allen, it will almost certainly improve your chances. 

Yes, elite is a relative term. But top ten is certainly not elite. Top ten is somewhere on the order of "very good."

Is Matthew Stafford elite? He's top ten. But he's not elite. Jared Goff is playing like a top ten QB this year. He's not elite by any definition. Elite in football is generally considred top three to five. Is Dak Prescott elite? Please. But he's top ten, though I hate to say that about any Cowboy.

And yes they "will almost certainly improve your chances," that's not what "need" means. A much better 2nd CB, a real big nickel, a real space-eating nose tackle would all almost certainly improve our chances.

We had elite or near-elite defenses the last couple of years. And we certainly didn't have an elite pass-rusher. Again, it would be lovely to have one, but it's unlikely to happen, and it's not a need. A want? Fair enough but that's unlikely. 

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I would honestly try for a huge trade. We are literally 1 or 2 pieces away from winning a super bowl. Now is the time to make those aggressive money moves. 

So ... the time to make "aggressive money moves" is when you have $3.9 mill left on the cap this year and $1.8 mill next year with only 41 guys on the roster for that year?

Yeah, right.

To win a Super Bowl, you have to have 1 or 2 players on defense that can absolutely take over a game. We only have White. It sucks watching other teams getting 10+ sacks a year from players, but we can’t. 

Yeah, because look for example at the 2018 champs, the Pats, whose defensive starters were Trey Flowers, Lawrence Guy, Malcom Brown, Dont'a Hightower, Kyle Van Nay, Elandon Roberts, Jason McCourty, Stephon Gilmore, Patrick Chung and Devin McCourty. Look at that arsenal of game-taker-overers. For their Stephon Gilmore, we've got Tre White. For their ... For their .... Give me a few hours to work this out.

Edited by Thurman#1

To win a Super Bowl, you have to have 1 or 2 players on defense that can absolutely take over a game. We only have White. It sucks watching other teams getting 10+ sacks a year from players, but we can’t. 

Yeah, because look for example at the 2018 champs, the Pats, whose defensive starters were Trey Flowers, Lawrence Guy, Malcom Brown, Dont'a Hightower, Kyle Van Nay, Elandon Roberts, Jason McCourty, Stephon Gilmore, Patrick Chung and Devin McCourty. Look at that arsenal of game-taker-overers. For their Stephon Gilmore, we've got Tre White. For their ... For their .... Give me a few hours to work this out.

Give Epenesa some time.  He has shown flashes.  He hasn’t even played that much this year and he has 1 sack and had nice tackle for loss last night.   I think he needs to get bigger (he looks like a LB playing DE) but I’m hopeful he gets more PT as the year goes on and becomes our big time pass rusher.

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

Give Epenesa some time.  He has shown flashes.  He hasn’t even played that much this year and he has 1 sack and had nice tackle for loss last night.   I think he needs to get bigger (he looks like a LB playing DE) but I’m hopeful he gets more PT as the year goes on and becomes our big time pass rusher.

What I don't understand is why he is noticeably smaller than he was in college. That can't be the plan.

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What I don't understand is why he is noticeably smaller than he was in college. That can't be the plan.

Maybe he looked bigger in college relative to the guys around him, but now in the pros all the lineman are much bigger and hence he looks smaller?

6 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Maybe he looked bigger in college relative to the guys around him, but now in the pros all the lineman are much bigger and hence he looks smaller?

I really don't think so. Look at still pictures of just him, and videos.

Also, I remember when he was drafted, they talked about him maybe kicking inside to play defensive tackle sometimes. He doesn't look anywhere near big enough to do that right now.

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He w as surrounded by smaller guys and wearing bigger pads in college....looks to be a smaller jersey too.  Probably wants the tighter to be less to grab.  I heard defensive lineman in the 80's used to spray Pam on their jerseys.

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I really don't think so. Look at still pictures of just him, and videos.

Also, I remember when he was drafted, they talked about him maybe kicking inside to play defensive tackle sometimes. He doesn't look anywhere near big enough to do that right now.

Lorax used to rush from the inside and he's smaller than AJ.

7 hours ago, Dragoon said:

We need a revamped line and a legit starting corner opposite Tre. 

We need to get rid of these awful contracts from the past 3 years FA signings.  Mario Addison, Trent Murphy, Vernon Butler, Quinten Jefferson, AJ Klein, Josh Norman, and Tyler Kroft at this point are god awful contracts to the tune of ~$54M.  I don’t understand the people complaining about our draft picks, it’s our chronyistic FA signings that are killing this team. 

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like (+1) 2