We Need Elite Pass Rushers

A few years ago all we had to do was "get a franchise QB". Now its just walk down to the super market and get a generational pass rusher.  Thats progress I suppose. 

Taking a look at pass rush stats the past year or two it looks like elite pass rusher may be more rare than franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Trading multiple first rd picks and paying a guy 20+ mill a year doesn’t seem to be Beanes way of doing things.  

Players that will get a massive raise, from us or elsewhere:  Josh allen, milano, Darryl Williams, Edmunds.  

Players with expiring contracts the next couple years that will need to be replaced or given a raise/extended-  Every DB not named white and Poyer;  We don’t have any worthwhile LBers not named Edmunds or Milano, every DL not named oliver and Epenesa has an expiring this year or next, RG (whoever that may be), Smoke Brown.  

the defense will likely have a LOT of turnover in the next two years similar to what we saw on offense the last 2.  Considering our QB will be making 35+ mill a year instead of 5-6, we have to make the most of our draft picks imo.....and not trade multiple 1st rd picks for another player that will make 20 mill a year instead of being under control for 5 years making 2-4 mill a year

While I trust Beane drafting for the most part, he hasn’t proven to find competent pass rushers. Oliver has disappointed as well. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

While I trust Beane drafting for the most part, he hasn’t proved to find competent pass rushers. Oliver has disappointed as well. 

seems to me that he drafts BPA in most rounds. This years draft was awful in terms of pass rushers.  There weren’t many past the first rd that had much potential imo.  In epenesa, he drafted the best available.  Just happens that he was the best Available pass rusher.  Oliver is fine the majority of the time.  He’s not a problem.  Daryl Johnson seems like a decent pass rusher to me and he should be taking snaps from Murphy, who is regressing even more.  

what I don’t like about our DL right now, Addison and Hughes are playing the majority of the snaps together.  Hughes is playing the left side, which he hasn’t done regularly since Indy (and he was ineffective). Addison has always played the right side.  Going into the season, I thought jerry and Addison would split reps on the right and the left would be a deep rotation of Jefferson, epenesa, Murphy and johnson.  Star opting out moved Jefferson inside 100% of the time. Murphy is bad.  Epenesa looks like he had covid and weighs less than Poyer.  Johnson rarely plays. 

so instead of having one Hughes and Addison always fresh and firing from the right, we’re playing them both at the same time and on more snaps.  They’re tired. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

At this point, I'd just settle for DEs who can set an edge and know how to keep contain. Getting back Milano, Tre and Levi Wallace goes a long way in helping this defense get better on down and distance. 

Especially with the Chiefs. containment is going to important with a mobile QB and a dangerous RB who move really quickly to broken containment

You can't just go get elite pass rushers, but i'm certainly hopeful we bring in fresh legs next year.., especially if this issue persists all season.  

You can get guys like Alton Robinson in the mid-rounds.  I was hoping we'd snag him and now he's earning PT in Seattle with some impact plays..

Impact.  Plays.   

Gone are the days where defenses can smother the opposition.  You win on defense by making impact plays.. sacks/fumbles/interceptions.

For as bad as we were last night, the Titans got an early 7-0 lead due to a turnover.  

For as bad as we were last night, the Titans were about to have a war going into the 4th quarter if Butler doesn't intercept Allen.

It's all about those impact plays. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Shaq Lawson + Jordan Phillips:  3 sacks

Mario Addison + Quinton Jefferson:  3 sacks

Not to toot my own horn in this thread, but I was high on trading two 2nds for Yannick Ngakoue, and dude already has 5 sacks.

You can send accolades to drdankenstein@twobillsdrive.com. Thank you.

• Thank you (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

We need a revamped line and a legit starting corner opposite Tre. 

I think Norman can be that guy.  He really wasn't bad last night. The one PI that extended the Titans drive was a real ticky tack call.  Brown had some big receptions, but I'd be hard-pressed to say that Norman got burned on those - his coverage was tight.

He would have been fine last night as the #2, with Tre on Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I think Norman can be that guy.  He really wasn't bad last night. The one PI that extended the Titans drive was a real ticky tack call.  Brown had some big receptions, but I'd be hard-pressed to say that Norman got burned on those - his coverage was tight.

He would have been fine last night as the #2, with Tre on Brown.

Maybe, but Norman can’t be a long term plan based on the position and his age. Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We suck at drafting people who can get 10 sacks a year. Drafting elite CBs are the only thing we do well on defense. 

I wish we would have kept Jordan Phillips who had 9.5 sack last year.  Not bad for a guy in the middle but we also need an edge rusher.  It seems like we did not replace the guys that left with quality player.

4 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

To win a Super Bowl, you have to have 1 or 2 players on defense that can absolutely take over a game. We only have White. It sucks watching other teams getting 10+ sacks a year from players, but we can’t. 

So true 

We've played 5 games with a grand total of 10 sacks. Addison has 2 which projects him to 6 for the season.  Murphy & Hughes combine for 1 sack. Our opponents now know they have time to carve up our backup dbs. At least last year Jordan & Shaq generated pressure. This year is no hurried and a nice protected pocket. If you want to get a laugh watch Daryl Johnson give a lame attempt at a bull rush. Without any pressure on the qb it won't matter how talented White is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We've played 5 games with a grand total of 10 sacks. Addison has 2 which projects him to 6 for the season.  Murphy & Hughes combine for 1 sack. Our opponents now know they have time to carve up our backup dbs. At least last year Jordan & Shaq generated pressure. This year is no hurried and a nice protected pocket. If you want to get a laugh watch Daryl Johnson give a lame attempt at a bull rush. Without any pressure on the qb it won't matter how talented White is.

Fitz looked like an all pro against us. We won’t win a Super Bowl without elite pass rushers. Almost every team that makes it has one or two. Pittsburgh always manages to draft them and WRs. Pittsburgh’s scouting department deserves a raise.