Fair-weather Fans

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

As long as one of those wins is against the Patriots....I'm skeptical. BB has taken the McD led Bills to the woodshed to this point. 

Agreed. I know it's three games from now but we need a Defense adjustment. After five games the defensive issues are apparent and BB will be all over that. 

4 hours ago, fishgrappler said:

I am not sure how some of you can go from one extreme to another week to week.

Last week “ Josh Norman is what we needed on this defense”.... then “he should have retired at halftime.”

McDermott is a top 3 coach, then I read some knucklehead posting that he sucks. Highlighting how he has so many large masking losses. Others saying the same about Frazier.

They played terrible, lost one game, had a bad night. Let things play out.

Some frustrated Bills fans sounds like complete irrational idiotic morons that probably have never been nothing other than a fan in sports. Not a coach or athlete.

I’m embarrassed that some of you can turn so fast. Have some resiliency and stop being mental midgets.

Show some support.... Go Bills!!!!

I think the board is just a microcosm of humanity.

Some people are pretty much "steady as she goes" captains - steer their boat in a straight line, never too high, never too low.

Some people are very emotional and all over the place - not saying they're bipolar, but one day their job is the most fantastic job anyone could ever have and their cat is the sweetest friendliest pet ever and the next day their job otally sucks, their boss hates them, and their cat does nothing but pee on their comforter and yackk up hairballs on the carpet.

It actually was like a "storm warning" to some of us mods when some board members were putting party hats on and throwing confetti last week, starting threads about "SuperBowl" and how Josh was "It" as Mr Franchise because we knew the board was going to blow up "equal and opposite" when we had a bad game.  And as you can see from the threads about firing Leslie Frazier and so forth, it has.

I think more people are "steady eddie" than "jump the shark" but the latter make more noise.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

To the OP:  It's generaly not the same people. It's not like there are huge "mood" swings.

I actually disagree - there are a number mood-swing matts on the board.

4 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

People who are critical after losses are generally critical after wins as well, there are just less things to be critical about after a win, usually...

It's a fair point that we do also have both people who uniformly negative (or critical) and uniformly positive.

I can field this one...

It’s actually the opposite of being a fair weather fan. It’s a matter of caring way too much and feeling constantly let down... and I fall into that trap for sure. I was negative as hell last night and projected like a crazy person. 

Maybe some can relate.. maybe not. I’ve been a die-hard fan for so long, thick and thin.. Unfortunately my glasses aren’t too rose colored. Deep down I feel we still have a long way to go. It was too good to be true.  In all honesty, we squeaked out wins against miserable Jets and below average Dolphins teams, and we were a controversial PI call away from losing to the Rams after a 28-3 lead. I love that we could pull out wins (that’s huge)... but while people are calling us ‘Super Bowl contenders’ and ‘Josh Allen for MVP,’ you just know we’re a moment away from the wheels coming off. 

I’m proud of what Allen has done. He IS a franchise QB, and I’m ‘digging’ our offense right now... but our defense is abysmal, and we cannot count on Josh Allen to bail them out over and over again. It’s simply not going to happen.  I love the culture McD has created, but I have very little confidence in his ability to make adjustments and outsmart other teams. Josh Allen has bailed him out as well. But Josh Allen was riding a big wave... and sooner or later we would see the puzzling Josh of years past.  Hoping just one off game. 

I, and so many others are starving for a contender. We get little glimpses of it.. our hope goes through the roof, and then we get let down. It’s the life of a Bills fan. My anger from last night is because I wanted to believe we were there, but it was a gut punch to know we still have many hurdles to get past. It will be very interesting to see where we stand after the Arizona game.  If this team can have a winning record over the next 5 games, I’d love to eat my words... but it’s truly hard to picture it given the state of our defense and coaching. The litmus test will be whether we can beat the Patriots. My heart wants to say yes!  But my head still tells me we find a way to go 0-2. I hope I’m wrong!  I mean, how many people are really confident this team is ready to take the throne from the Pats*?  I do think we’re truly ready to take the next step once McD can take down the Hoodie twice. We’ll see.. and work to be done. 

In the meantime, please go get us some defensive help, Mr Beane!

5 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Are we fair-weather for having flashbacks of 2008?

I mean sort of feel this way. Yesterday was a pretty bad loss and my enthusiasm is muted but I'm not throwing in the towel because of that. I'm willing to accept a loss to KC even but I need to see a fairly strong bounce back on all sides of the ball. 

Edited by Rochesterian Bills Fan

On 10/14/2020 at 12:56 PM, Gugny said:

I think you might be @C.Biscuit97's soulmate.

Needs to be an 8 or higher though. 

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the board is just a microcosm of humanity.

Some people are pretty much "steady as she goes" captains - steer their boat in a straight line, never too high, never too low.

Some people are very emotional and all over the place - not saying they're bipolar, but one day their job is the most fantastic job anyone could ever have and their cat is the sweetest friendliest pet ever and the next day their job otally sucks, their boss hates them, and their cat does nothing but pee on their comforter and yackk up hairballs on the carpet.

It actually was like a "storm warning" to some of us mods when some board members were putting party hats on and throwing confetti last week, starting threads about "SuperBowl" and how Josh was "It" as Mr Franchise because we knew the board was going to blow up "equal and opposite" when we had a bad game.  And as you can see from the threads about firing Leslie Frazier and so forth, it has.

I think more people are "steady eddie" than "jump the shark" but the latter make more noise.

Good post.  As a reformer homer, I will say it’s much easier to watch games now.  We definitely got punked a bit and it ended up being a blowout but I’m honestly not that discouraged.  The Bills aren’t the best team in the nfl but they are getting there.  I’m a little disappointed but far from mad.  

we’re on to KC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, albanyfan said:

So....a couple fans had one bad night...No need to get frustrated and call them irrational idiotic morons and mental midgets. I’m embarrassed that you can turn on fellow fans so fast. Have some resiliency and show some support.  Go Bills fans!!

At least they’re not alone

30 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Nothing fair weather about this, this team just needs to play hard, don’t mind if they lose they just need to not beat themselves. 

You think "not playing hard" was our problem today against KC?

🤔

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You think "not playing hard" was our problem today against KC?

🤔

There was a lot of problems including self-sabotage and playing the pity card. That’s playing soft IMO. This team loves shitting their pants in prime time games. The gameplays on offense and defense was pretty bad too. 

On 10/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, fishgrappler said:

I am not sure how some of you can go from one extreme to another week to week.

Last week “ Josh Norman is what we needed on this defense”.... then “he should have retired at halftime.”

McDermott is a top 3 coach, then I read some knucklehead posting that he sucks. Highlighting how he has so many large masking losses. Others saying the same about Frazier.

They played terrible, lost one game, had a bad night. Let things play out.

Some frustrated Bills fans sounds like complete irrational idiotic morons that probably have never been nothing other than a fan in sports. Not a coach or athlete.

I’m embarrassed that some of you can turn so fast. Have some resiliency and stop being mental midgets.

Show some support.... Go Bills!!!!

Because they don't know as much as they think they do.  The issues the last 2 weeks on Offense are on Josh, and I believe it's all the mental aspect of the game.

On D it's a mix of injuries and preparation.  We lack disciplined leadership on D.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Fair-Weather!? Our coach can't access talent! Phillips and Murphy both healthy scratches and he started 3 practice squad players on the D-Line! They assembled a garbage roster on the defensive side of the ball! Hard to root for...I don't see us stopping anyone this year!

Some of us are not fair weather fans. We point out good and bad. What is really annoying is when you post a critique of the team or a player the rose colored glasses crowd on here blasts you for not being a fan. 

The reality is the folks like me and others who were skeptics of McD, Edmunds, the pass rush, and the more difficult schedule got vilified after the 4-0 start. 

All that said the season is young. McD will get his chance to prove himself. They still are my pick to win the division if McD can beat Belichick. 

But I will say this, he preaches character and toughness, and where do you see that on display? No where. He has built a team of physically soft players. Go watch that Tampa defense. Every guy is 10-15 pounds heavier and more physical than every player on the Bills defense.

• Like (+1) 1