Fair-weather Fans

I am not sure how some of you can go from one extreme to another week to week.

Last week “ Josh Norman is what we needed on this defense”.... then “he should have retired at halftime.”

McDermott is a top 3 coach, then I read some knucklehead posting that he sucks. Highlighting how he has so many large masking losses. Others saying the same about Frazier.

They played terrible, lost one game, had a bad night. Let things play out.

Some frustrated Bills fans sounds like complete irrational idiotic morons that probably have never been nothing other than a fan in sports. Not a coach or athlete.

I’m embarrassed that some of you can turn so fast. Have some resiliency and stop being mental midgets.

Show some support.... Go Bills!!!!

• Like (+1) 10
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 minute ago, fishgrappler said:

Last week “ Josh Norman is what we needed on this defense”.... then “he should have retired at halftime.”

McDermott is a top 3 coach, then I read some knucklehead posting that he sucks. Highlighting how he has so many large masking losses. Others saying the same about Frazier.

Some frustrated Bills fans sounds like complete irrational idiotic morons that probably have never been nothing other than a fan in sports. Not a coach or athlete.

I’m embarrassed that some of you can turn so fast. Have some resiliency and stop being mental midgets.

I never liked the Norman signing, I think he is washed.  

However, I wont kill him here because everyone knows AT BEST at this point in his career he is a serviceable CB2.  He is in NO WAY a CB that can follow and man up a teams NO1 WR.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 4

Fact is, Norman isn't a #1 CB and he was asked to play that role last night.  He got eaten alive which, if you have followed his career, is probably what should have been expected.  But, just because he is not a #1, doesn't mean he doesn't have a place on this team. 

AJ Brown is a tough match up for anyone.  But, if Tre had been able to go last night, he would have shadowed Brown and Norman would have gotten an easier assignment and probably would have fared much better.  It's all about putting players in the right spots to succeed.  Norman isn't a #1 CB, but he is one of the 3 best CBs on this team.  We have yet to have all of our CBs on the field healthy at 1 time.  Once Levi comes back and Tre is healthy, let's slot them where they belong and see what happens then.  Way too early to say Norman can't help this team.

• Like (+1) 9

Game Day threads are nauseating to read. There's countless Bills fans that seem to need to spill bile whenever there is a bad play or a bad game. It's probably a defense mechanism against gets their hopes dashed, if they trash the team their fragile ego won't be crushed if the Bills don't live up to expectations. I wish there was a Big Boy thread on game day where you were only allowed to post on football, and all other emotional outpourings get moved to a "Dr. Phil gives Bills fans trauma advice" thread. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sometimes teams just get steamrolled. Happens to the very best. Happened to the 90’s Bills all the time. 

But if the overreactions are a big deal for you you may want to stay away for a couple weeks. 

I dont expect thing to get better Monday. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, fishgrappler said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'fair weather fans'

I don't think I fit into a lot of what you are saying...yet I actually admit at times to being a fair-weather fan.

When the team is really good, I watch.  If a game is going sideways really quickly, I'll often start to look for something else to watch. In the past at the end of the year when they Bills were out of the playoffs and playing out the final few games, I might watch..or I might watch a different game with playoff implications. By that definition, I am a fair weather fan, and I'm fine with it.   However, I do not flip-flop on players that quickly, or my opinion of the coach.

I think you might have individual fans confused with fans as a group.  It probably isn't a lot of the same people saying a player is great one week and then a bum the next week.  On a week where a player does well, you get a ton of praise from people who already like that player..and people who don't like him are quiet.  However, that player has a bad week and the ones who like him are quiet...while the ones who don't like him speak up.  It isn't individual 'fair weather fans' at all.....it is the circumstance of each individual game that allows for certain people to pick the opportunity to best speak up and voice their opinion..which really doesn't change for them.

It’s cathartic to complain for some.
I support Beane and McDermott but they make mistakes. We all do. We just don’t have millions of people watching our business decisions and commenting on them.

The CB2 situation is feeling a little like the QB situation heading into 2018. McDermott sold Beane on the fact he could get by with what he had at CB and LB.  I suspect CB and and LB will be addressed early in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, fishgrappler said:

This is a grade a sh*t post. 

We’re allowed to voice our concerns. It doesn’t mean we’re fair weather fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We played horribly bud. You don't think the coaches are going to tear these guys a new one this week? Players aren't just as upset? Athletes and fans are competitors. It ain't the end of the world but it's a wake up call. And it's concerning for sure.

It's a whole nother thing to write off the season bit I haven't seen that just yet for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is my fair and balanced post:

Anti-Bills:

• They lack depth and miss their injured players.  John Brown makes a lot of great plays for the offense and draws coverage away from other guys.  The defense is not the same without its 2 starting CBs and its (arguably) best LB.
  • This year's defense, even with a full lineup, is not very good.  They are thin at LB and CB, the D-line misses Star as a run-stuffer/blocker occupier and the pass rush is not getting to the QB.
  • The Bills don't have much of a run game this year.  It seems to be a combination of the line not effectively opening up holes and the RBs being small and lacking power and burst.  (Maybe Yeldon can help - he was effective last night.)
  • The Bills played a terrible game in all phases last night - they laid an egg.
  • The coaching staff did not have them ready.  I get the sense they were overlooking the Titans, who were a mess due to the COVID thing, and were looking ahead to the Chiefs.

Pro-Bills:

• The Titans are a really good team.  They were in the AFC Championship game last year for a reason.  They throttled Baltimore in the playoffs.  A team can lose to them without necessarily being a bad team.
  • Most teams have a couple of bad games during the season.  The Super Bowl Bills teams certainly did, the Super Bowl Patriots have too.
  • The Bills are 4-1 and in first place at the quarter pole.  Nothing to complain about.
  • Other than the Jests, the Bills have beaten some good teams.  The Dolphins aren't Super Bowl contenders, but are a solid, middle-of-the-pack competitive team.  The Raiders and Rams are among the better teams in the league, evidenced by the Raiders beating KC last week and the Rams beating everyone other than the Bills.
  • The Bills have a lot of talented players, including a franchise QB.  They can use last night's game as a wakeup call and get back on track.

The world is not ending and nobody needs to be fired or have their extension rescinded.  As mentioned above, the Bills played a terrible game last night and got blown out by a good team that was more ready to play, but they are 4-1 and in first place.  There is plenty of time for the injured guys to return and for the coaching staff to get them back on track.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, fishgrappler said:

Like it or not expectations have been raised.  

Fans complaining or getting upset because of a horrendous game isnt being a fair weather fan. If anything it just shows their upset because they care about the team. Fair weather fans are the people who only care when they win and the moment things swing they are no where to be found. Now we certainly have a lot of emotional eccentric fans who the attitudes swing week by week, but that is ok  and given the drought years and trauma from that I get it.

I have freely admitted when I have been wrong i.e Rosen over Allen, the Bills getting Diggs, I am sure I will be wrong about wanting Frazier fired to shake things up and reframe the defense. But that is part of being a fan and I will at least credit the people who are pissed even ifs it irrational for giving a crap then those who won't even be found or only care to be around when things are good.

I am trying my best to keep in mind Allen has looked really good and even though last night he wasn't as good, he is a huge bright spot and can get the team to the playoffs. The defense scares me because its gotten to a point if the offense makes mistake against a quality opponent like the Titans or even the Rams shouldn't have been INT, we have very little rope to give. This years schedule offers very little room for mistake if you want a good seed for the playoffs and division title. Heck even the playoffs are very competitive with the Browns, Colts, Raiders, and even Chargers looking very competitive for the final spots. Nothing will come easy like last year and thats ok, I just hope that they give Allen and the offense the ability to be mortal at points without it costing us games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, fishgrappler said:

I think you might be @C.Biscuit97's soulmate.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1