Dawson Knox and the TE position

McBean

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There are also many times when he misses his block assignment. 

Edited.    That's actually the biggest thing that stands out to me.   

His blocking is incredibly inconsistant.   He's outright whiffed or just run right by his man more times than I can count.   Very hard to understand why, and it's blown up more than a few plays...

Guys let’s not forget that Knox was rarely used / targeted at Ole Miss. I think the Bills tried to get a hidden gem, but perhaps he isn’t the hidden gem you think he is. Maybe he was dropping passes at college during practice and that why he wasn’t used much. So, are we asking too much from him? Is this ceiling? Next year the Bills should draft a TE that has established himself in College.

Edited by Cubanmist

6 hours ago, Cubanmist said:

Guys let’s not forget that Knox was rarely used / targeted at Ole Miss. I think the Bills tried to get a hidden gem, but perhaps he isn’t the hidden gem you think he is. Maybe he was dropping passes at college during practice and that why he wasn’t used much. So, are we asking too much from him? Is this ceiling? Next year the Bills should draft a TE that has established himself in College.

We traded up into the 3rd round to draft him. So no, we are not asking too much of him, he just hasn't done too much yet.

• Like (+1) 2

Looking forward to Tommy Sweeney getting back. Knox may turn into a solid TE one day but like a lot of TEs it seems he’s taking some time to develop. Sweeney has only been on the field a bit but he seems to always produce, that’s really all that matters. Just gotta start giving him more opportunities. 

On 10/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Gugny said:

He is approaching bust status.  He's way too inconsistent and is not a dependable target.  It's a shame, because I had high hopes.  He's simply not getting any better.

Gugs, agreed.  I had high hopes for him as well, but if you’re always more concerned with the homerun that you look up field too fast and drop the ball, you’re no good for the team.  Kroft May have not little world on fire, but he catches most so far, and then worries about what he’ll do after he secures the ball.

After watching th eMiami rookie TE, and some other rookies, I just don’t know if Knox will progress.  I was fine with being patient with him last year, but he’s making the same mistakes as last year.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gugs, agreed.  I had high hopes for him as well, but if you’re always more concerned with the homerun that you look up field too fast and drop the ball, you’re no good for the team.  Kroft May have not little world on fire, but he catches most so far, and then worries about what he’ll do after he secures the ball.

After watching th eMiami rookie TE, and some other rookies, I just don’t know if Knox will progress.  I was fine with being patient with him last year, but he’s making the same mistakes as last year.

That hasn't been his problem this year.  This year it seems to be high catches which require him to leave his feet.  He gets his hands on them but can't haul them in.  And to be fair, he's only played in 3 games so far, which isn't a lot to judge whether he's progressed or not.

I wonder to what extent coaching plays a role.  I know no evil of Rob Boras as a TE coach, but I know no particular good of him either.  As an OC for the Rams he was an unending pile of craptastic suckitude.

For those who argue, "give him time", it's possible that like Allen last year, he's improved in 1-2 regards and still has a gap he needs to work on.

But I sure do wish we were playing a functional contributing TE right now.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:31 PM, JohnNord said:

How long can we use the “potential” for players like Knox?

There's a pretty well-established standard. You can judge a draft after three full years. Some guys are excellent week one. Others take the three years. And sometimes you'll miss out after three years because someone takes a leap after that. 

But that's the standard. Generally speaking you can figure three years to judge draft busts. 

Doesn't mean everyone should get that chance. Some guys just obviously stink, and when they get cut we know the coaches saw it too. But if they're still on the team, three years.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, klos63 said:

We traded up into the 3rd round to draft him. So no, we are not asking too much of him, he just hasn't done too much yet.

I still think they had Josh Oliver or Jace in their sights - Oliver had the largest hands and was very sure handed and very athletic, but the Jags jumped in front of us (and GB) and grabbed him.

Greenbay picked up Jace Sternberger next...before Knox.

I am sure Knox was up there on Beanes board too. The athleticism was undeniable, but the hands were still a bit inconsistent.

Ol' Miss had a bevy of weapons and in their offense Knox did not get a lot of looks so the hands were a legit "?" when evaluating.

But we may want to count our blessings Jace was on Greenbay's IR last year, and Oliver has been sitting on the Jags IR both years due to freak injuries.

So 2019 was a deep draft for TE's, but many have struggled staying healthy.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's a pretty well-established standard. You can judge a draft after three full years. Some guys are excellent week one. Others take the three years. And sometimes you'll miss out after three years because someone takes a leap after that. 

But that's the standard. Generally speaking you can figure three years to judge draft busts. 

Doesn't mean everyone should get that chance. Some guys just obviously stink, and when they get cut we know the coaches saw it too. But if they're still on the team, three years.

We’re halfway there and it doesn’t seem like Knox has improved all that much.  

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That hasn't been his problem this year.  This year it seems to be high catches which require him to leave his feet.  He gets his hands on them but can't haul them in.  And to be fair, he's only played in 3 games so far, which isn't a lot to judge whether he's progressed or not.

I wonder to what extent coaching plays a role.  I know no evil of Rob Boras as a TE coach, but I know no particular good of him either.  As an OC for the Rams he was an unending pile of craptastic suckitude.

For those who argue, "give him time", it's possible that like Allen last year, he's improved in 1-2 regards and still has a gap he needs to work on.

Should be a focal point for Allen.
Maybe Boras Allen and all the TEs + Gilliam should take a weekend/weekday get away to get to know each others needs and desires
 maybe even a safety and LB to give the perspective of how to cover a TE.

disconnect a little perhaps ?

no preseason and no training camp has affected this team and it shows at times.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

We’re halfway there and it doesn’t seem like Knox has improved all that much.  

5/16 is not half

Knox has played 2 games plus 2 halves (3 games)

Patience, grasshopper

17 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Should be a focal point for Allen.
Maybe Boras Allen and all the TEs + Gilliam should take a weekend/weekday get away to get to know each others needs and desires
 maybe even a safety and LB to give the perspective of how to cover a TE.

disconnect a little perhaps ?

no preseason and no training camp has affected this team and it shows at times.

I don't think Boras Allen and the TEs need a brotherly retreat where they sing Kumbayah and make s'mores or psychoanalyze each other

Allen desires them to run the right routes and get open and needs them to catch the damned ball when it comes their way

More reps would help probably, but every team is in the same boat

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Coaching shouldn't be an issue. I don't know about Boras either, but Daboll spent a few years as the TE coach for the cheaters, so coaching shouldn't be an excuse.

I don't necessarily have a problem with giving Knox more time, I just don't want it to be at the expense of someone who can do the job more competently atm, be it Kroft, or Sweeney if he comes back.

While the team appears to have progressed mightily - on Offense anyway - I don't want that progression to be compromised by inconsistent TE play, which is what Knox is atm.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

5/16 is not half

Patience, grasshopper

I don't think Boras Allen and the TEs need a brotherly retreat where they sing Kumbayah and make s'mores or psychoanalyze each other

Allen desires them to run the right routes and get open and needs them to catch the damned ball when it comes their way

You make it sound so simple. and i suppose it should be really :)

The Offense has opened up the game this year via Allen. Play calling and his ability to check in and out.

TEs (Knox ) would do well to play study better and prepare to be the check down each down nearly with Josh Allen at the helm.

John Brown is fierce when he knows the play has broken down. getting back to the ball and making Allen see him. Knox and Kroft could learn to count off and turn their heads and possibly feet  to come back to the ball secure it and get down lol

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

5/16 is not half

Patience, grasshopper

I was including last season.  At some point the whole “raw” excuse wear off.  Put up or shut time

On 10/17/2020 at 8:55 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I absolutely agree, no harm in keeping him around. 

But here's the problem: right now he's listed on the Depth Chart as the #1 starting TE, with Kroft as #2 behind him.  We're not just keeping him around, he's our starter!  We're counting on him to contribute.

Meanwhile teams like KC and the Ravens and the Titans that we have to contend with to go anywhere have great strong contributing TE right now, as we speak, sometimes more than one.  So while we're starting a physically talented kid who might need 2.5 more years to develop, they're starting a fully-mature Orca, a Killer Whale.  It's almost like we're playing 10 vs 11 in a TE set (relative to the talent on the other team)

Then there's our #2.  Kroft seems like a hella nice guy, but he's like a Beluga whale or something.  It'll swim unnoticed in the deep blue sea of the gridiron.  Every few weeks it'll pop to the surface carrying a ball on its head and it's like OMG LOOK AT THAT IT"S KROFT AND HE JUST CAUGHT THE FOOTBALL AND IT'S A GREAT CATCH TD TD and then he disappears again. 

Our zoo curator neighbor raves about Belugas vs Killer whales and Dolphins.  She says Beluga Whales have just the sweetest personalities and are the most fun to play with.  As a young keeper she and a fellow keeper used to spend hours after work swimming with them, hugely enjoyable.  She says swim with an Orca and there's always an undertone of "Yeah, I could kill you any time and we both know it."  But if you want someone to be The Boss and do dramatic things on a regular basis in your show, you need an Orca. 

At some point, don't we need to look for the TE equivalent of an Orca?

I just wish to note that Karma caught up with me for this post calling Kroft a "Beluga whale".  I caught a helluva Ear Worm from Raffi's "Baby Beluga" all day and into the night.

So open note to Kroft....Knox is out....HERE'S YOUR CHANCE!  Pop to the surface of the Bills game with a ball in your hands and show us what you got!  Seize the Day!  Seize the Lightening!    Make us go "OMG LOOK AT THAT IT"S KROFT AND IT"S A GREAT CATCH TD TD BILLS!" and I will gladly on your behalf, tote a damned Raffi Earworm all night.

Because really, Belugas are special