Dawson Knox and the TE position

McBean

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Dude, it's been 5 games. And he's only been healthy for half of them.

And he’s fumbled and missed catches he shouldn’t...... which makes it a flashback 😉

He’s not showing progress , he’s showing mire of the same. Not buying his  stock

• Like (+1) 1

It was a mistake playing him so much early yesterday.

They wanted to run the ball a lot early so he was the TE and when you then have he and Roberts both out in a pattern it greatly increases your odds for the kind of turnover that Roberts served up with that interception.

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was a mistake playing him so much early yesterday.

They wanted to run the ball a lot early so he was the TE and when you then have he and Roberts both out in a pattern it greatly increases your odds for the kind of turnover that Roberts served up with that interception.

Is that why Roberts was out there?  Because they had him in to run block?  That must be a freakin' tell.  Why not run a 1-2 set and bring in Kroft and Knox?

We don't seem to have a power-blocking run game anyway, our run game thrives (and I use that word loosely and not per common definition) on misdirection.

More bodies back there just mean more chances to trip on each other's feet.

I will say Roberts did have a beautiful sideline catch with oodles of Toe Drag Swag, but it didn't make up for him "setting" the ball right into the arms of the Nashville "OH" on our first series.  And yes, it was slightly behind him and could have been a better pass, but NFL receivers make that adjustment. 

Or for his poor decisions in the return game.  Or for his fumble.

Knox is sooooo raw. Patience is important here. The drops can be fixed. He also pancaked a guy on McKenzie’s touchdown. I think he has that potential to be a top guy and I think he will be. Remember, and I write this alot, but the guy was a high school QB who walked on at ole miss and became a tight end, and really didn't play a whole lot. He will get there. Tight ends sometimes take a while. Knox is Jeremy Shockey, who had a ton of issues with drops early in his career, but to me, this is the same guy. The upside is there and something we have not had at the position in a very long time. Just to add, I hope we see Tommy Sweeney again soon. He can help this team. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, those have definitely run dry.  Just like, "Edmunds is only 22!"

Edmunds has plenty of game experience to start using the bust label.  The unknown is how hurt is he?  Maybe the guy is playing with one shoulder like Biscuit did one year. Maybe he needs off-season surgery.  If not then he has regressed badly.

As for Knox, he has barley played more than 16 games and in fact he is still learning the NFL TE position.  Too soon to call him a bust but certainly is ok to be worried about his career trajectory and catching ability.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

He is playing like a guy who had 0 tds in college.  Great athlete but I don’t know if he’s the long term answer.  

15 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Knox is sooooo raw. Patience is important here. The drops can be fixed. He also pancaked a guy on McKenzie’s touchdown. I think he has that potential to be a top guy and I think he will be. Remember, and I write this alot, but the guy was a high school QB who walked on at ole miss and became a tight end, and really didn't play a whole lot. He will get there. Tight ends sometimes take a while. Knox is Jeremy Shockey, who had a ton of issues with drops early in his career, but to me, this is the same guy. The upside is there and something we have not had at the position in a very long time. Just to add, I hope we see Tommy Sweeney again soon. He can help this team. 

Fair post but it’s the nfl.  How long are you supposed to be patient for? What if the guy just isn’t good enough?

• Like (+1) 1

Factoring out the Titans game (which was a total team loss, the defense gave up 3 TD's on field position of less than 30 yards, the offense didn't score a lot and turned it over.) The bigger issue with this team is defensive consistency. The defense shut down the Jets (as they should) but had a bit of mixed games against the Dolphins and Raiders and then had a horrid game against the Rams. Once again factoring out the Titans game the defense has been fairly mid-level. The offense even with a lackluster TE group has been good, putting up enough points in all of their games. 

Overall I would say that if there is a big piece to be added via trade I would think it is going to be on the defensive side of the ball.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is playing like a guy who had 0 tds in college.  Great athlete but I don’t know if he’s the long term answer.  

Fair post but it’s the nfl.  How long are you supposed to be patient for? What if the guy just isn’t good enough?

I think for a guy like Knox who has shown flashes of great potential but has a lot of raw growing pains you probably are looking at a three year process. Knox to me should be getting split snaps with Kroft this year and then year three is make or break for him. But in regards to 2020 the pass catching group isn't an issue. They have 4 legit WR's so there isn't a need for Knox/Kroft to be anything more than complementary targets (which I think they are.) The big addition this team needs will likely come on the defensive side.

37 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Factoring out the Titans game (which was a total team loss, the defense gave up 3 TD's on field position of less than 30 yards, the offense didn't score a lot and turned it over.) The bigger issue with this team is defensive consistency. The defense shut down the Jets (as they should) but had a bit of mixed games against the Dolphins and Raiders and then had a horrid game against the Rams. Once again factoring out the Titans game the defense has been fairly mid-level. The offense even with a lackluster TE group has been good, putting up enough points in all of their games. 

Overall I would say that if there is a big piece to be added via trade I would think it is going to be on the defensive side of the ball.

I think for a guy like Knox who has shown flashes of great potential but has a lot of raw growing pains you probably are looking at a three year process. Knox to me should be getting split snaps with Kroft this year and then year three is make or break for him. But in regards to 2020 the pass catching group isn't an issue. They have 4 legit WR's so there isn't a need for Knox/Kroft to be anything more than complementary targets (which I think they are.) The big addition this team needs will likely come on the defensive side.

That’s fair but imagine what having a big consistent target in the middle of the field could do for this offense.  

On 10/14/2020 at 10:31 AM, JohnNord said:

How long can we use the “potential” for players like Knox?

considering he was raw coming out and hes played in what about 16 games, he can get some more time to develop.

If we give up on him, he would be playing on another team right away

On 10/14/2020 at 1:52 PM, Bangarang said:

I don’t know how many times I can say this but Knox is an unreliable receiver. People want to pretend that he’s going to get better and blossom into a great TE but he looks nothing like someone ready to take on that role.

Frankly, with how good our WRs are I don’t mind not having a great TE. What bothers me is that we don’t even have one that I feel confident will catch the ball.

IDK, Kroft seems to snag what's thrown his way honestly. 

On 10/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Like I said, I don't know what the "drop" criteria used by different organizations are, but that's 100% a ball I expect a good NFL TE to come down with.

That's pretty much spot on.  Knox catch % last season: 56%.  Catch % so far this season: 50%

He needs to go to the Josh Allen school of how to improve your stats.

23 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Knox has tons of potential, but at some point you need to become a reliable playmaker. I’m not buying the Shockey comparison, because Shockey was a Rookie of the Year, and All-Pro in his first season. He had drop issues as well, but made enough big plays to make up for it. Knox had the legendary Bengals run, and a nice catch against the Pats last season, and that’s his career. This season we only see him when he’s dropping passes. The good isn’t outweighing the bad, and that needs to at least even out by the end of this season. If he doesn’t show mass improvement by the end of this season, I’m not counting on him becoming a future star. 

Edited by SirAndrew

TE is the weakest position on the Bill's squad this season.......Dawson Knox isnt ready for average play in the NFL;Furthermore,  Kroft is uneventfully every wk just like in Cincy....

..we are a playoff team with a talented roster.....this build through the draft babble doesnt apply when you are sniffing an AFC east title and a deep run........get the greatest TE possible in Orchard Park  ASAP