Dawson Knox and the TE position

McBean

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

How many drops has Kroft had? Knox went out with injury and they didn’t target kroft 

He's had a few. Not as bad, or noticeable as Knox, but he also isn't what you would call 'sure-handed'.

I would say that I currently prefer him to Knox, as I just don't trust Knox to catch the football.

I'm not sure he dropped a pass last night, but I think he was one of the numerous 5 yard offensive penalties for a false start although I'm not 100% on that.

All we actually have at the TE position atm, is 'potential' and very little in the way of 'production'.

I believe they gave Knox opportunities last night, and they might have used him more, if he had held onto the football. He made at least one catch before the drop. Without looking too hard into it, iirc, he had two receptions, and two drops. Supposedly he also got dinged up, but I doubt he would have seen the football anyway after the second drop.

Knox has a lot of potential, but none of it will be realised unless he holds onto the pigskin.

Poor poor management of the TE position overall. Knox is not improving at all and is approaching TJ Graham and Zay Jones ' bust level. 

Kroft looked good in one game and disappeared as he has for most of his time here. 

To those who say TE is not required in this system is not understanding an overall balanced offense

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TheProcess said:

No question Knox has failed to progress this year. Injuries haven’t helped, but he still has problems with consistency and looking the ball in. 

Sorry but dude has stone hands. The Knox experiment will soon be over. Back to the drawing board. This is why I wanted Hunter Henry so bad. We haven't had a stud TE in forever. 

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm fine with having mediocre TE's if we can get the defense turned around. The offense is not the problem.

But when our #2 wr is down and they start doubling Diggs all of a sudden you wish you had a TE corp. The top 2 TE's in the NFL played in last years SB. I remember this guy named Gronk in a few SB's too. The TE position is much more important than you think. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

He is approaching bust status.  He's way too inconsistent and is not a dependable target.  It's a shame, because I had high hopes.  He's simply not getting any better.

Cue the “he’s still learning the TE position” excuses

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

But when our #2 wr is down and they start doubling Diggs all of a sudden you wish you had a TE corp. The top 2 TE's in the NFL played in last years SB. I remember this guy named Gronk in a few SB's too. The TE position is much more important than you think. 

I didn't say it is unimportant. But if we are going to expend assets to fix something it should be on the defense, not the offense.

5 hours ago, QB Bills said:

He's a young player who has showed flashes of elite athleticism. But sure, let's get rid of the guy. His issue is between the ears, not having stone hands. Whether he gets over that or not remains to be seen but it's far too early to cut bait on him. 

If he turns it around, he can be one of the best tight ends in the league. A good team doesn't get rid of guys like that this early. 

Flashback post from the offseason😕

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yea, when Allen is dealing with drops and penalties all game then Knox drops a massive gainer right in his hands... I just about lost it.   I'm pretty close to being done with him.  

Where did Knox drop a "massive gainer right in his hands"?

He had 3 targets last night. 

One he and Josh were clearly not on the same page at all - not sure whose fault. 

One he hauled in and gained 15 yds, including pwning a guy

One was thrown a bit high, and he got his hands on it but couldn't haul it in.  It was a catch that a top TE makes 9.5 out of 10 times, but it was hardly "right in his hands"

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Knox is a mismatch on linebackers because usually more athletic than them and also a mismatch with defensive backs because he has size.  He just needs to stop having these mental lapses on easy, catchable balls.

Wait.....wait....don't tell me....Could Knox switch sides to linebacker?

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

Without looking too hard into it, iirc, he had two receptions, and two drops. Supposedly he also got dinged up, but I doubt he would have seen the football anyway after the second drop.

Is looking at the box score "looking too hard"?

3 targets.  One reception.  One target was not catchable.  One was.  I don't know if they'll call it a drop because it was over his head

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where did Knox drop a "massive gainer right in his hands"?

He had 3 targets last night. 

One he and Josh were clearly not on the same page at all - not sure whose fault. 

One he hauled in and gained 15 yds, including pwning a guy

One was thrown a bit high, and he got his hands on it but couldn't haul it in.  It was a catch that a top TE makes 9.5 out of 10 times, but it was hardly "right in his hands"

Wait.....wait....don't tell me....Could Knox switch sides to linebacker?

Is looking at the box score "looking too hard"?

3 targets.  One reception.  One target was not catchable.  One was.  I don't know if they'll call it a drop because it was over his head

Knox had a slight jump and the ball hit him in the actual hands... not the fingertips, his hands.  

The jump was so slight that Knox landed in stride. 

Even the announcers commented that he has to catch that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sorry but dude has stone hands. The Knox experiment will soon be over. Back to the drawing board. This is why I wanted Hunter Henry so bad. We haven't had a stud TE in forever. 

I don’t have any evidence on my side to support that Knox will eventually “get it” or suddenly become a more consistent pass catcher, but we can’t bail on our draft picks every time we hit a rough patch in the road. It takes time for guys to develop...sometimes. No question Knox has to get better, but you can say that about most of the guys on this team after last night’s drubbing. 

It was painful enough watching the game, I didn't need the additional grief of looking up box scores. ;)

They should definitely call it a drop, as although it was above his head, it was pretty standard NFL fare. I'm fairly certain Knox himself made an indication that it was 'on him'.

While I'm not precisely correct, according to the 'box score', I am correct in believing that it's a toss up as to whether or not Knox catches the football. ;) 1 catch, 1 drop.

The major flaw with Knox, is his inability to catch the football with any consistency. I'm not even sure that that is arguable, tbh.

Going from memory again, there was only 1 'drop' that I thought was especially difficult, and that was a throw to Davis, that had some serious heat on it, where it was put where only Davis could get it, but on the stretch. It sort of went through his hands, but I don't think he could get them closed quick enough, if the truth be told.

Diggs had a couple I would ordinarily expect him to get, but they were low throws, again, possibly by intent, as it would prevent the DB from getting at the football easily.

Knox said he purchased a Jugs Machine and practiced catching the ball all off season. 

I was hoping to see some improvement.  You would think...

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/08/how-josh-allen-george-kittle-helped-buffalo-bills-dawson-knox-grow-this-offseason.html

“I realized most of the issues that I had were on the easier balls,” Knox said. “Josh (Allen) would put a great ball right on my chest. I would kind of be already looking to make someone miss before I secured that. So it’s kind of just going back to the basics, training my eyes to the tuck.”

Knox’s solution to fixing the problem was working with a Jugs machine all offseason and getting together multiple times with Allen.

“I had a Jugs machine all offseason which was great. And then obviously getting together with Josh a lot helped there too, so I think I’ll be prepared and ready to go this season.”

13 minutes ago, Buddo said:

It was painful enough watching the game, I didn't need the additional grief of looking up box scores. ;)

They should definitely call it a drop, as although it was above his head, it was pretty standard NFL fare. I'm fairly certain Knox himself made an indication that it was 'on him'.

Like I said, I don't know what the "drop" criteria used by different organizations are, but that's 100% a ball I expect a good NFL TE to come down with.

13 minutes ago, Buddo said:

While I'm not precisely correct, according to the 'box score', I am correct in believing that it's a toss up as to whether or not Knox catches the football. ;) 1 catch, 1 drop.

That's pretty much spot on.  Knox catch % last season: 56%.  Catch % so far this season: 50%

• Like (+1) 1