Dawson Knox and the TE position

McBean

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

He is approaching bust status.  He's way too inconsistent and is not a dependable target.  It's a shame, because I had high hopes.  He's simply not getting any better.

What drives me crazy are those easy catches that I’m sure even 300 pound OL man could make that he drops time and time again , 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Knox is a big tease. He has absolutely everything you want in a TE. Except hands.  Can a TE learn to catch? Or is it either you have it or you don’t, like maybe QB accuracy?

Nobody is expecting or asking of him to make acrobatic or spectacular catches just catch the damn ball that a high school player can make , I’m starting to believe that he’s hands are much worse then Zay John’s 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm fine with having mediocre TE's if we can get the defense turned around. The offense is not the problem.

Agree with this for the most part, however the drops are getting old and he has been missing on big opportunities. Would be great if they could somehow get an upgrade there, but yeah they HAVE to get this D figured out. It's been very disappointing thus far.

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Knox is still a work in progress and he has the POTENTIAL to be a big time contributor.  At the same time you're right that we need a lot more production out of our TE's - particularly between the 20 yard lines.

My one concern is that the Bills offense is one dimensional . That we are a QB/WR driven O.  This will work against lesser teams and when Allen and the guys are ON this is a hard offense to handle.  But you can shut down the WR's if you don't have to worry about the TE's AND the RB's.  The other glaring need on the Bills is a running game and a true #1 RB.

Be interesting to see what the Titans were doing against the run.

They have been terrible against the run and were usually using a 4 man front. We should have had more daylight, but they were able to cut behind our blocks and were into Singletary's legs before he hit the gap. 

This was especially true on the left side with Ford and Dawkins. Pass pro was fine over there, but they looked confused run-blocking.

Game planning-wise, they had our running plays well diagnosed, and had effective means of countering them.

I don't place that all on Singletary. Our run blocking and run play calling needs to be better. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, McBean said:

Haven’t had a legit TE in years.

Dawson Knox remains my most unpopular Bill. He does nothing but drop passes and makes a play once every blue moon.

A good TE would work wonders for this offense. I know some have mentioned Zach Ertz and that would be amazing, but don’t think it would happen.

Any TE’s out there worth looking at or are we going to have to throw the kitchen sink at Kyle Pitts in the draft?

I don't really know what the Dolphins are doing but Gesicki would be pretty alright.

I don’t know how many times I can say this but Knox is an unreliable receiver. People want to pretend that he’s going to get better and blossom into a great TE but he looks nothing like someone ready to take on that role.

Frankly, with how good our WRs are I don’t mind not having a great TE. What bothers me is that we don’t even have one that I feel confident will catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

He is approaching bust status.  He's way too inconsistent and is not a dependable target.  It's a shame, because I had high hopes.  He's simply not getting any better.

Thats the whole thing-- no improvement.  Had basically no experience in college as a pass catcher, and now we see why.  

Textbook example of a great athlete who isnt a great football player.

34 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t know how many times I can say this but Knox is an unreliable receiver. People want to pretend that he’s going to get better and blossom into a great TE but he looks nothing like someone ready to take on that role.

Frankly, with how good our WRs are I don’t mind not having a great TE. What bothers me is that we don’t even have one that I feel confident will catch the ball.

In the first quarter, I have to think he ran the wrong route on that throw by Allen that landed near the sideline not near anyone. Thank god a DB wasn't sitting there in zone. I also seriously doubt that Allen didn't know the play. That can't happen, especially since TEs are supposed to be reliable safety valves. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In the first quarter, I have to think he ran the wrong route on that throw by Allen that landed near the sideline not near anyone. Thank god a DB wasn't sitting there in zone. I also seriously doubt that Allen didn't know the play. That can't happen, especially since TEs are supposed to be reliable safety valves. 

His drop was also the product of a lazy route iirc...just lagged straight out instead of bending in away from slotDB

Knox is imo worse than unreliable right now, he is a detriment. A TE who doesn't provide that safety net for the QB is useless

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Hard to call a late third rounder a bust, but I get it to an extent...

Unlike Edmunds who I am ready to call a bust at MLB, it is too soon to give up on Knox and Oliver. Knox is the most physically gifted tight end the Bills have had in decades and he is still learning the positon( he had very few targets in college). He deserves more time but I would be fine trading for Ertz as a one year rental.

Oliver is getting close to bust category but I will hold off until week 8 next year before making a final opinion. DT takes a long time to develop.