Josh Allen needs to run the ball more

I think this is an overreaction.  Every situation is going to dictate which "Josh" should play each week.  For last night's game, i agree.  He probably could've taken off more as long as he can avoid those hits.  Yes, our defense was atrocious last night, but mainly because the offense put them in horrible positions.  From there, neither side of the ball could gain any true rhythm.  Yes, we were missing key defenders on defense, but I think the biggest loss we had last night was the absence of Smoke.  Our best defense this year is our offense and it was evident how much they missed Smoke because they were not able to stretch the field.  But in response to the original post, Josh doesn't need to be a RB each week.  They just need to learn how to adjust when key players are missing.

No, he doesn't.  We just need guys to catch the ball when it hits them in the hands.  Seven drops, one leading to an interception.

If that happens last night, we keep up with the Titans scoring and start off the night 1st and 10 at the 40.  Instead the Titans, who already came into the game with their hair on fire, get the ball in scoring position.....and away we go....

Edited by SCBills

Simply I expect one 20 yard Allen run per game.  Yesterday no one was spying on him, coverage was tight, often 8 men in coverage & Allen was a pocket passer.  

I've seen no scrambles.

There were opportunities & this has been since week 2.

Talking about it right now on WGR.

I'd like to see him run more....not designed runs though....scrambles....when you play a team that gets good pressure, I have no problem throwing in a few plays where there is 1 or 2 reads only, and the '3rd' read is for him to take off and run...as long as he gets down to the ground early.  

As for last night....of course it could have been his shoulder that was hurt last week that kept him (and the coaches) from using more QB runs.

I thought this way coming into the season but last night's game notwithstanding he's improved too much as a passer to go back to that, especially against zone defenses like the Titans played. Having said that, if his accuracy continues to regress I might change my tune. Hopefully it was just one bad game.    

15 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s more about just moving the ball in general. The bills aren’t concerned with fixing the rushing attack or else they would be using a FB or Lee Smith. Or Lee Smith as a FB.

I think in general the Bills have been moving the football down the field without a problem. Turnovers on the other hand tend to nullify any accomplishments in yardage. I think when you can run the ball effectively it provides a safer way to retain possession of the football and rest a tired D IMO. Josh Allen running the football does not help when it comes to turnovers IMO.

I love how Daboll has turned the Buffalo Bills into a high powered passing attack. Just don't abandon having good run support. ( not JA)

Edited by Figster

I was about 20 yards away when Josh Allen ran over the Eastern Michigan defense...then he lowered his shoulder and broke his collarbone.  He is an amazing runner; but I think the Bills will see more success when he isn't running 10+ times a game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The first 4 games of this season were incredible. Allen’s improvement (as a passer) is truly remarkable. He’s starting to get respect across the league and making his doubters question themselves...All of that is wonderful. 

What makes Josh Allen special, are his legs. The best play the Bills offense has, is Allen running the ball. There is no reason to take that away from ourselves. There is plenty of data to support either side of the injury risk but you can’t play this game with fear of injury. Can Allen drop back and beat some bad teams with his arm? Sure. Is he going to beat the better Defenses that way? It’s yet to be seen.

IMO, we are at our best when Allen is making plays. Not only with his arm but also with his legs. The recklessness he plays with, can drive you crazy at times. But my biggest fear with this team, was them coaching the playmaker out of him. The last few games it seems like Allen has been told to scale back the running. I think the only way this team reaches its full potential, is to let Josh be Josh. It opens up so much for our offense and makes teams defend every blade of grass on virtually every play. We need to get that balance back and not try to become an offense that just drops back and passes 40 times a game.

You didn’t happen to see the Cowboys game Sunday, did you?

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Nope. He doesn’t. He needs to pick and choose when to take off like he has been and win from the pocket with his arm like he has been. 

...EXACTLY......I fear that if we get thumped by the Chiefs, he'll try to do more on his own because of his competitive and winning nature, risking injury......Dak wanted a few extra yards and it cost him the season with some major surgery.....Josh needs to keep his head screwed on and be patient with some of the injured guys hopefully coming back.....

• Awesome! (+1) 2