Weak, soft or just overmatched?

Toledo Bill

At least once a year this happens. They just show up completely flat and look like it's the first time they've played football. It doesn't even have to be against a particularly talented team. 

2017 it was the Saints running for 300 yards and winning 47-10

2018 it was the 1-5 Colts winning 37-5

2019 was the Eagles running at will

I don't understand why it happens, but it happens. I've learned to just accept it and move on to the next game

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I will agree with you on White but please stop with Milano,  the guy is an average player who people want to hype up as some stud LB   Even when he played we were getting killed and could not stop anyone.  Not enough play makers on defense and it shows

i'd say he is above average, but you aren't wrong.  he's not some stud.

honestly, between our scheme on D and the people we have added and drafted lately, we have the reason for why our d fell from near the top in the nfl to horrible.  i think our scheme works when all parts are working, but any cracks in the dam and we just fall apart.  we aren't anti-fragile!

Just now, colin said:

i'd say he is above average, but you aren't wrong.  he's not some stud.

honestly, between our scheme on D and the people we have added and drafted lately, we have the reason for why our d fell from near the top in the nfl to horrible.  i think our scheme works when all parts are working, but any cracks in the dam and we just fall apart.  we aren't anti-fragile!

Dude the problem is Beanne has sunk a lot of money into medicore defensive players and we just do not have any play makers,  amazing that Jordan Phillips's cap number is 4 million this season and we have Klein's cap number around 6 million

Even games we won i was worried about how soft our defense was and no pass rush

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Dude the problem is Beanne has sunk a lot of money into medicore defensive players and we just do not have any play makers,  amazing that Jordan Phillips's cap number is 4 million this season and we have Klein's cap number around 6 million

Even games we won i was worried about how soft our defense was and no pass rush

well, i have to remind myself of the old adage "it's never as good or as bad as you think it is".  i agree, we just don't have big and physical players (vs Ten who just rumble all night long) and our back ups and new DL have really sht the bed.  with tre white kinda falling off (perhaps been hurt all year) we just don't have difference makers out there.

we do have to remind ourselves tho, overall our d has been outstanding over the past 3 years.  i do feel like that since the second half of the texans game, it seems like they are always playing desperation, they need to fly to the ball and make big plays to have an impact, but they don't suffocate and choke the O, instead they are kinda like a cowboy holding onto a bull, just trying to make it to 8 seconds.

that said, the titans O didn't exactly light the world on fire against us, we lost due to special teams and turnovers (their average start was insane, ours was bad) and just way way too many mistakes.  we had them stopped a few times, but a penalty, or just blown assignment let them convert 3rd downs.  just a badly prepared unfocused team.  i really really hope we get this right vs kc

• Like (+1) 1

This team was never going to go 16-0 and they were most certainly going to have a game like this. They'll probably have another 2 or 3 of them. It was a combination of a lot of things. The game plans were awful. The coaching was bad. The players didn't show up and there was a rash of injuries. I'm on to the Chiefs.

The Titans looked bigger, faster, and stronger.  They had a chip on their shoulders from nothing the Bills did, but they took it out on them.

Josh was rattled but still made big plays and kept swinging.  Some huge 3rd down throws that could have been part of a comeback, but the Titans were not making mistakes like the Bills did.

42 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

C'mon guys this is a hell of an assumption!  Although the Bills did look awful I highly doubt this was the case

Hey, it’s a message board...speculation is ok here. I mean, you do have to wonder, don’t you?

7 minutes ago, colin said:

well, i have to remind myself of the old adage "it's never as good or as bad as you think it is".  i agree, we just don't have big and physical players (vs Ten who just rumble all night long) and our back ups and new DL have really sht the bed.  with tre white kinda falling off (perhaps been hurt all year) we just don't have difference makers out there.

we do have to remind ourselves tho, overall our d has been outstanding over the past 3 years.  i do feel like that since the second half of the texans game, it seems like they are always playing desperation, they need to fly to the ball and make big plays to have an impact, but they don't suffocate and choke the O, instead they are kinda like a cowboy holding onto a bull, just trying to make it to 8 seconds.

that said, the titans O didn't exactly light the world on fire against us, we lost due to special teams and turnovers (their average start was insane, ours was bad) and just way way too many mistakes.  we had them stopped a few times, but a penalty, or just blown assignment let them convert 3rd downs.  just a badly prepared unfocused team.  i really really hope we get this right vs kc

I think we will be fine on offensive side,  even though Allen had an off night he still moved the ball and scored points.  We really need to make some adjustments on defense,  it's been an issue all season.  When you look closer,  we could have easily lost Rams game and Raiders game because they could not stop anyone.

We always have that one game early in the season where we look like we don’t belong in the field. 
mcdermott has always righted the ship. It does feel weird that we are this worried about defense. Hopefully we can get everyone healthy on that side of the ball and get to work. Seems like every game this year someone key is missing. 

Not worried yet. Even if we lose to the Chiefs we’ve got the Jets and Patriots coming after that. Those two are the games we really need IMO. 

Another thing that I believe is showing up is the loss of Lorax. He may not have been on the field for every single play, but the guy was in a way the heart and soul of this defense. You would see him talking to people on the field and on the sidelines explaining situations to them. A LOT of knowledge went out the door when he retired. 

• Like (+1) 4

Mentally soft last night.  

It started when all the questionable players became inactive.   Led by the highest paid player in this team, who developed a mysterious back injury coinciding with a potential Titans match up.  

It bled into the game in the form of drops, penalties and a lack of focus.  

Josh Allen was off, but still played well enough to win the game if everyone else wasn’t completely out of sorts.  

I trusted McD to keep this team focused through the chaos of this past week, but it’s clear they weren’t, and it’s clear the defense has systemic issues that need to be addressed.   It starts with finding a leader on that side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure how anyone can have any confidence in a team that gets smoked 42-16 in a game that is your first true test of the season.  I mean that’s almost a 4 touch down difference.     Losing a close one would be rough but to get embarrassed like that is, to use my teenage daughter’s favorite description of things these days, DISGUSTING.    

And it’s almost happened before this season.    I think most of us watched the Rams game.   While that ended in a victory it was very close to being an extremely embarrassing loss.    It certainly was embarrassing for the defense.     

If they aren’t ticked off after this loss and play well next week it will be a clear indication of what this team is all about.  
Sizzle with no steak.   That can result in a few games of fun for those fans that have never played the game in real life.    

Here’s to hoping they come back with a vengeance!