Defensive Assessment Thus Far

On 10/13/2020 at 11:35 PM, GunnerBill said:

Nope. Edmunds is the biggest liability at the moment. He bites heavy on every play action fake he follows every designed misdirection and he creates huge holes in the zone scheme.

The Dline is not playing well but we all knew from the moment McDermott arrived here that MLB is critical in his defense. Once you create a hole by dragging that piece out of place the integrity of the zone collapses pretty quickly and there become spaces to attack. 

BITES ON EVERY MISDIRECTION

oh just stacking Lewan on a free release no big deal

just stop

Edmunds is a significant weak link on this team. I know he's "only 22" and 3 years from now he'll be "only 25" or whatever, but I don't think he's a very good linebacker. He's an athletic freak capable of outstanding plays no doubt, but he has terrible instincts and doesn't have any ability to disengage blocks. At his current level of play, I see him as far more of a liability than any sort of asset and I'm looking to address the position early in the draft, if possible.

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

just stop

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

just stop

This second video is typical Edmunds. Waiting for the play to come to him until he gets engaged by a blocker and is subsequently caught in the garbage.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I have. Edmunds got killed on play action all day. 

Go ahead and show me. I'll wait.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

This second video is typical Edmunds. Waiting for the play to come to him until he gets engaged by a blocker and is subsequently caught in the garbage.

'Engaged by a blocker'...maybe consider why Lewan is getting a free release into second level. That play is good defense by everyone except 99.

The Bills were just playing the covid defense Monday night and it kind of worked, nobody seems to have caught the virus.

The defense was following CDC guidelines and maintained safe distance from Tannehill and Henry, and they gave the receivers at least 3-4 yards open space on most pass plays.

Judging by the number of false start penalties and jumping Offside penalties they didn't see to have their heads involved, Hopefully this week they'll be into the game a little bit more.

39 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Bills were just playing the covid defense Monday night and it kind of worked, nobody seems to have caught the virus.

The defense was following CDC guidelines and maintained safe distance from Tannehill and Henry, and they gave the receivers at least 3-4 yards open space on most pass plays.

Judging by the number of false start penalties and jumping Offside penalties they didn't see to have their heads involved, Hopefully this week they'll be into the game a little bit more.

Prepare for a warning point from Hapless.

On 10/15/2020 at 3:25 PM, GoBills808 said:

Go ahead and show me. I'll wait.

'Engaged by a blocker'...maybe consider why Lewan is getting a free release into second level. That play is good defense by everyone except 99.

Wow the guard moved Harry 15 yards on single team block, woof. Oliver is the one doubled, while Jerry handled by the tight end and losing the edge. 

Edmunds with a nice shed and tackle on a three time pro bowl tackle. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:19 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

Ed Oliver and AJ Ep are huge liabilities on defense. Quite frankly a disappointment. Edmunds is good, but it’s clearly he is hurt. Milano is undervalued and was missed, he makes plays everywhere. We need a Bruce and LBs.

AJ is a non factor. Ed needs a space eater next to him. Edmunds isn't as good as people think. He isn't a true MLB and he will be paid soon. Is he worth it? Shoulder or no shoulder. He's not effective when the o line gets to the second level. Milano is the better of the 2 lbs for sure