Tonight exposed again we need a no1 back

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Our run blocking is atrocious. I’d say we should try and fix that first. Our lines look soft as hell out there.

This line can't run block to save its life. Pass blocking is a different story, but, they can't get out of their own way on run plays.  They have been suspect all season in the run game. 

How many times have run plays been blown up in the backfield this year?  No push at all. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

I thought Williams had the RT spot locked down. Was he rotating with someone? If so I didn't notice.

I think its by default. Nsheke can't stay healthy and Ford has to play guard. Williams is probably the best of the 3, but I would like to think they want to get better over there

7 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Isn’t he injured?

I don't think so anymore. I think if he were still on IR/injured there would have to be an injury settlement. So he was eligible to come back week 5. I assume he was cleared to play then released. 

Could be wrong on this, I will let one of the gurus correct me on this. 

8 hours ago, ColeB said:

For one carry that he lost like 3 yards, I reran several times to see what happened.  It wasn’t the O-line or Singletary per se.  The DB came right up to the line on the outside, then run blitzed.  A play action would’ve left them short on coverage unless another defender went back.  (Can’t check. I deleted the game immediately) This has me wondering if a tell has been identified with one or more of the Bills offense regarding a pass VS a run.  that DB didn’t hesitate at all as if he knew it was a run.

Singletary is pretty terrible in pass protection. So you can kind of start there. If he is in the backfield he is probably running the ball. It is why he went entire drives without a touch. We were playing from behind and had to throw. He would have been a liability. 

Tonight exposed the loss of John Brown, and what happens when the offense is not focused.. 7 drops, multiple penalties and turnovers.  

Could the run game be better, of course... Needing to get our #2 WR healthy and playing with more focus is what separated us from 16 points against the Titans and 30+

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If defenses are at the point now where they respect Josh not to play us man...and are going to run basically a cover 2 shell and force us to nickel and dime the way down the field...we need a running game more then ever...love Motor but he’s ideally a no2 hopefully Moss or Yeldon get more touches 

I"m not persuaded that the problem with the run game is the back.

It's hard to make any yards when you're met in the backfield, or when you run into your blocker's frannies

56 minutes ago, Mango said:

Singletary is pretty terrible in pass protection. So you can kind of start there. If he is in the backfield he is probably running the ball. It is why he went entire drives without a touch. We were playing from behind and had to throw. He would have been a liability. 

And yet, I've seen some good blocks from him in the pass game this year and he's clearly worked on it a lot.

In fact I think others called his blocking out as being a small bright spot in the game.

Could you give a couple examples from this game (or Raiders) where you feel he was a liability?

Per the personnel grouping data at Sharp Football, we rush 42% of the time from a 1-1 set (71% of our offensive plays) and 25% of the time from a 1-0 set (21% of our offensive plays.  I believe Singletary is usually the lone back in these sets. 

Against the Raiders and last night, he was on the field for 89% of the offensive snaps.

These data would seem to argue that in fact, Singletary is on the field quite a lot during pass plays.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I"m not persuaded that the problem with the run game is the back.

It's hard to make any yards when you're met in the backfield, or when you run into your blocker's frannies

And yet, I've seen some good blocks from him in the pass game this year and he's clearly worked on it a lot.

In fact I think others called his blocking out as being a small bright spot in the game.

Could you give a couple examples from this game (or Raiders) where you feel he was a liability?

Per the personnel grouping data at Sharp Football, we rush 42% of the time from a 1-1 set (71% of our offensive plays) and 25% of the time from a 1-0 set (21% of our offensive plays.  I believe Singletary is usually the lone back in these sets. 

Against the Raiders and last night, he was on the field for 89% of the offensive snaps.

These data would seem to argue that in fact, Singletary is on the field quite a lot during pass plays.

I agree he has been better this year in PP. He got a lot more snaps when Moss went down. Unsure where you are getting the snap count number for the Titans game. The only thing I could find that has been updated since last night is Buffalo Rumblings (so take that with a grain of salt) and has DS at 62% of snaps for the game. 

My original comment is a bit of recency bias since Singletary seemed rarely on the field the second half last night on top of Yeldon having a better game on the ground. To your point I think it was Yeldon who gave Tennessee a free run at Josh in the second half. 

I will have to go back and take a look at the game again to see if my feels actually equal reals. 

7 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

This line can't run block to save its life. Pass blocking is a different story, but, they can't get out of their own way on run plays.  They have been suspect all season in the run game. 

How many times have run plays been blown up in the backfield this year?  No push at all. 

A Big bruiser like Derrick Henry can make an average run blocking Oline look good IMO.

I agree with OP to an extent. Its not that I don't think Singletary should be the featured back. I believe a big down hill runner is needed to complete the 1, 2 punch IMO. 

I believe we are fine at RB though I do believe, even in a blowout loss, Yeldon showed why he should get a few more touches a game.

His fumblitis last pre-season really cost him.

Edited by Beast

19 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Our run blocking is atrocious. I’d say we should try and fix that first. Our lines look soft as hell out there.

Hoping Mongo can help there, he was a beast run blocker last year. Other than that I think there isn't much out there. O-line is good at pass pro but isn't really mauling in the ground game. Mongo might be able to help a bit.

18 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They did it because the Titans were giving up 5.8 yards/carry. Apparently Daboll didn't get the memo that his OL is incapable of any form of run blocking. 

And the Bills QB was averaging 9 yards per attempt and the Titans were down Adoree Jackson at CB and their best DL.    

Daboll played away from the Bills offensive strength when he certainly didn't need to.

And he seemingly failed to take into account that the Bills defense was beleaguered coming into the game and really needed a night of just rushing the passer and keeping pass plays in front of them.   You do that by putting points on the board, not trying to execute 12 play drives.

Just a stupid and out of touch gameplan.    Like I said.........reminiscent of the Thursday night game versus the Jets in 2017.   These mid-week games are something that McD and company have to figure out.  

• Like (+1) 2