Tonight exposed again we need a no1 back

The first mistake they made was trying to come out running the ball in the first half.

This is a passing team now and the circumstances around this highly unusual game situation called for bold/aggressive play calling.............you don't want to come out and try to out-Titans the Titans.

But that's what they tried to do.

Just throw from play action early and often..........it always opens up receivers even if you hardly ever actually run the ball.    Once they went empty backfield it pretty much assured nothing but dink and dunk opportunities from the defense and that exposes you to potential turnovers.

From the outset Daboll didn't have his finger on the pulse of this game...........it felt like that Thursday night Jets game in 2017 where the Bills came out trailing after halftime and Dennison tried to run the ball up the middle to no avail and was forced to punt.    That defense was playing on fumes(the defense tonight was also under duress) and they were immediately disheartened by the lack of aggression from their offense.

That lack of effort carried over for 2 other games.  

• Like (+1) 2

I miss Spain and Feliciano for their pull ability. I agree 1m% that we need a number 1 rb but that line has to do better as well. Winters I know nothing about but I know Ford and Dawkins are maulers and morse is agile so it remains to be seen what exactly they want up front.

Not to mention the RT spot is still by committee. I would have loved to try to get a rt in the draft. Maybe Trey Adams can get in shape and work the right side

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The first mistake they made was trying to come out running the ball in the first half.

This is a passing team now and the circumstances around this highly unusual game situation called for bold/aggressive play calling.............you don't want to come out and try to out-Titans the Titans.

Just throw from play action early and often..........it always opens up receivers even if you hardly ever actually run the ball.    Once they went empty backfield it pretty much assured nothing but dink and dunk opportunities from the defense and that exposes you to potential turnovers.

From the outset Daboll didn't have his finger on the pulse of this game...........it felt like that Thursday night Jets game in 2017 where the Bills came out trailing after halftime and Dennison tried to run the ball up the middle to no avail and was forced to punt.    That defense was playing on fumes(the defense tonight was also under duress) and they were immediately disheartened by the lack of aggression from their offense.

They did it because the Titans were giving up 5.8 yards/carry. Apparently Daboll didn't get the memo that his OL is incapable of any form of run blocking. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They did it because the Titans were giving up 5.8 yards/carry. Apparently Daboll didn't get the memo that his OL is incapable of any form of run blocking. 

This, 100% this. Titans run D is terrible, but that just shows you our O line can’t run block for nothing. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If defenses are at the point now where they respect Josh not to play us man...and are going to run basically a cover 2 shell and force us to nickel and dime the way down the field...we need a running game more then ever...love Motor but he’s ideally a no2 hopefully Moss or Yeldon get more touches 

Nah,  the O-line was out there getting slapped up.  Nowhere for Motor to run.  They looked soft on both sides of the rock, mentally and physically.  I turned that mess off.  YUCK.

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Singletary isn’t the issue though. He proved himself last year. Our run blocking has taken 4 steps backwards this year. 

For one carry that he lost like 3 yards, I reran several times to see what happened.  It wasn’t the O-line or Singletary per se.  The DB came right up to the line on the outside, then run blitzed.  A play action would’ve left them short on coverage unless another defender went back.  (Can’t check. I deleted the game immediately) This has me wondering if a tell has been identified with one or more of the Bills offense regarding a pass VS a run.  that DB didn’t hesitate at all as if he knew it was a run.

Edited by ColeB
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is a great point supported by data, and I don't think most fans realize it.

You don't need a successful run game for play action to be effective.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Running back is the least of our problems and leveon bell is just an “oh I know that name, sign him” player. Everybody needs to stop bringing him up like it would actually fix anything.

Singletary and Moss are a great 1-2 punch. We just can’t block. It will get better when Feliciano comes back.

Moss is terrible. He is too slow. 
The issue is run blocking. They OL is soft and Feliciano won’t solve that by himself. 

42 minutes ago, ColeB said:

For one carry that he lost like 3 yards, I reran several times to see what happened.  It wasn’t the O-line or Singletary per se.  The DB came right up to the line on the outside, then run blitzed.  A play action would’ve left them short on coverage unless another defender went back.  (Can’t check. I deleted the game immediately) This has me wondering if a tell has been identified with one or more of the Bills offense regarding a pass VS a run.  that DB didn’t hesitate at all as if he knew it was a run.

The Titans do have a fairly decent defense, but their run defense of late has been atrocious. Just doesn’t make sense how almost every team has looked like all stars against Singletary when he was lights out last year. The only thing I can think of is Spain and Feliciano must have been opening up more holes. But our pass blocking has been phenomenal. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If defenses are at the point now where they respect Josh not to play us man...and are going to run basically a cover 2 shell and force us to nickel and dime the way down the field...we need a running game more then ever...love Motor but he’s ideally a no2 hopefully Moss or Yeldon get more touches 

Don't blame Singletary. 

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Tonight exposed again we need a no1 back

Looked to me more like we needed better blocking in front of him.

Not that this was a good game for anybody wearing Bills colors, but Singletary wasn't the problem.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yea was Daboll's worst gameplan of the season IMO. They made some nice adjustments at half time but it was too little too late. Nobody comes out of last night with much credit. Coaching staff or players. Was just a mess. 

The sort of game that the best thing you can do with is put a bow on it quickly today and clear your heads and move on.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

I miss Spain and Feliciano for their pull ability. I agree 1m% that we need a number 1 rb but that line has to do better as well. Winters I know nothing about but I know Ford and Dawkins are maulers and morse is agile so it remains to be seen what exactly they want up front.

Not to mention the RT spot is still by committee. I would have loved to try to get a rt in the draft. Maybe Trey Adams can get in shape and work the right side

I thought Williams had the RT spot locked down. Was he rotating with someone? If so I didn't notice.

All 3 levels of the defense stunk last night. John Brown out causes our O not to take the top off. Moss out hurts too. We are gonna have a long Monday night against KC as rhey feast on this D. If we were not so depleted at CB Norman would be shown the door. He was that bad last night.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Singletary looks terrible but so does our embarrassing OL blocking.  Give Moss & Yeldon tons of reps. I bench Devin after tonight. What is keeping this coaching staff from giving TJ more touches?? Ridiculous.....

Singletary looked bad because this line doesn’t run block.

I think Tenn had lot of time to game plan for this week. They took away big plays and rolled the coverage towards Diggs. Couple of bad throws and with this defense game was out of hands. This was a game where offense needed D to step up and they did not. We have been used to big plays on offense and when that didn't come offense/Allen panicked. He looked flustered to me from that first pick. 

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Running back is the least of our problems and leveon bell is just an “oh I know that name, sign him” player. Everybody needs to stop bringing him up like it would actually fix anything.

Singletary and Moss are a great 1-2 punch. We just can’t block. It will get better when Feliciano comes back.

Moss isn’t great at anything.