Why can’t Barkley be the placeholder?

ny33

11 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

The FG tonite, he didn't even make any attempt to get the laces in the right place.  I know longsnappers are excellent at this level, but I can't imagine they're expected to maintain the exact number of (fractional) rotations for each snap.

7 3/4 yards gets the job done. 

52 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It could cost us a game, and it's something that should be very easy to fix. 

Did he make the FG?  I think so.

Would you or any of us know about it if Jay Feeley hadn't been in the booth?  I think not.

Everything else in this game was so great, why be a killjoy?

13 hours ago, ny33 said:

Why can’t Barkley or one of the receivers with good hands be the placeholder? It’s possible that Bojorquez was the reason Bass missed in Week 1. 

Special teams has basically their own practice during practice.  The long snapper goes off with kicker and punter to do drills.  To have Barkley do this would impact his ability to function effectively as the #2 QB.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ny33 said:

Why can’t Barkley or one of the receivers with good hands be the placeholder? It’s possible that Bojorquez was the reason Bass missed in Week 1. 

After the Bills showing last night we are worried about the placeholder??? 

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Would you or any of us know about it if Jay Feeley hadn't been in the booth?  I think not.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but I'll bite anyway. 

Yes, Bass made the kick. 

I disagree, I think plenty of fans would've noticed without Feeley pointing it out. Having laces pointed directly at the kicker is a very rare occurrence in the NFL, and Bojorquez has done it multiple times this year. 

Yes, the game was a disaster, and there are plenty of things to worry about going forward. This play was irrelevant to the outcome of the game. 

BUT it's something that COULD cost us a game in the future (plenty of games come down to missed FG or PAT). AND this is something that can be very easily fixed. You either tell Bojorquez to stop being a knucklehead, or you have someone else (IE Barkley) as the holder. It's really that simple 

• Like (+1) 2

McDermott asked him and Barkley asked for a $500 a year raise to his contract....McDermott said F*** that.

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Oh I definitely saw it.  I saw the bright white laces facing the tv screen before he kicked it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

We are in big trouble next week

6 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

The Bills played last night. It was a Tuesday night game maybe you missed it. Let’s just say, it didn’t go very well. If you have the NFL network they are probably showing highlights right now

Never worry about all the press written about you, good or bad.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Special teams has basically their own practice during practice.  The long snapper goes off with kicker and punter to do drills.  To have Barkley do this would impact his ability to function effectively as the #2 QB.

Agreed, but for years it seemed like the majority of kickholders were QBs, or other 'deft hands' players.  Only that move to maximize workout efficiency seemed to mandate punters move into holding for the Ks.  

15 hours ago, ny33 said:

And somehow you know Barkley will be better at this?  I'd think a punters hand must be pretty good, else they'd be dropping the snaps on punts. The problem too is rotation which to me would seem to be a more a mental thing.

As to using another player, the Bills like most teams in the league use their punter.  30 years ago was easy to have Frank Reich stay after practice an extra 1/2 or so to practice with the kickers.  Today with so much limitations on practice due to the CBA, teams don't want to pull the backup QB or pretty much any players for that matter from their positional drills, full practice, meetings, whatever to work with the kicker.

Maybe Bass wants the ball spotted  1/2 step closer or further than Haush did so the number of rotations on the ball when Bojo receives the snap has changed from prior??

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I noticed and commented several times in previous games that the laces were facing towards Bass and that that’s an issue that Bojo needs to address.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Never worry about all the press written about you, good or bad.

Agreed, but for years it seemed like the majority of kickholders were QBs, or other 'deft hands' players.  Only that move to maximize workout efficiency seemed to mandate punters move into holding for the Ks.  

Practices are a lot more limited now which may have something to do with it. College is also limiting practice time so punters already have experience holding when they make it to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hindsight 20/20, we should have drafted Braden Mann instead if the Bass man. Bojo sucks and maybe Bass would have still been available later or we could have stuck with Hauschka. Mann should have been the pick because he would have been an immense upgrade, whereas the kicking battle was more 50/50. 

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Hindsight 20/20, we should have drafted Braden Mann instead if the Bass man. Bojo sucks and maybe Bass would have still been available later or we could have stuck with Hauschka. Mann should have been the pick because he would have been an immense upgrade, whereas the kicking battle was more 50/50. 

Bojo is 4th in the league in punting average at the moment.  Also refreshing - the teams only punted 12 times in 5 weeks.   His 2 TBs, and the long return have hurt his net average some (41.1)- but hes also had 2 70 yarders with no returns.  

Even the long punt return wasn't really his fault - that thing was in the air for more than 5 seconds.

Mann has a 37.4 yard net average which is near the bottom of the league.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Bojo is 4th in the league in punting average at the moment.  Also refreshing - the teams only punted 12 times in 5 weeks.   His 2 TBs, and the long return have hurt his net average some (41.1)- but hes also had 2 70 yarders with no returns.  

Even the long punt return wasn't really his fault - that thing was in the air for more than 5 seconds.

Mann has a 37.4 yard net average which is near the bottom of the league.

Yup.  Not sure what the alternative at kicker would have been if they took Mann instead. Hauschka is clearly washed up.

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes.  THIS is the real takeaway from Tuesday night's massacre...

Yes that’s what we’re saying. You got a good bead on things as usual there.