Jordan Phillips has been missed

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's an awesome straw man argument.

Could you show us all the posts saying "he is the best player on the D"? I'll take any posts from this year or any year he was on the Bills.

You read way too much into my comment...

I am tired of seeing the comments that Star is the missing link because the D is not playing well

Im assuming the fact that you have been here a while would mean that the positive comments here since Star joined the team a few years back are few and far between...

And for the term “ straw man” that you have thrown back at me... why did he take a pay cut again? You don’t seem to have addressed this point ..

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Jordan Phillips gave the Bills a huge push up the middle and were not getting that this season,  now we have our ends just racing up field .  QB'S are just stepping up and making throws,  huge error not resigning him.  This defence is bad because we cannot get pressure and our DB'S cannot stick we receivers for extended time,  our pass rush is trash

I agree and Shaq was great at setting the edge. These are not little things we are missing and it's all on tape for the entire league to see = exposed.

Bills either need to make a trade or sign someone like Dareus and hope he can be coached back up. 

Edited by Real McNasty

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You read way too much into my comment...

I am tired of seeing the comments that Star is the missing link because the D is not playing well

Im assuming the fact that you have been here a while would mean that the positive comments here since Star joined the team a few years back are few and far between...

And for the term “ straw man” that you have thrown back at me... why did he take a pay cut again? You don’t seem to have addressed this point ..

What I read into your comments was your actual words. If you don't want to have people "reading way too much" into your comments, don't say stuff like:

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Makes me wonder why Star agreed to take a pay cut in the pre Covid days considering he is the best player on the D?

You sure don't believe it, so saying it like that makes it look like you're saying that's being said by others, which is a straw man.

And yes, he's gotten way too much abuse here over his time here, far more than he ever deserved. Bills fans tend to find whipping boys and pile on. He's been one.

He took a pay cut of $1.75 mill from his $50 mill contract ... in exchange for a longer guarantee. I thought your question was rhetorical since the answer was so obvious. Both sides got something from that.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

What I read into your comments was your actual words. If you don't want to have people "reading way too much" into your comments, don't say stuff like:

You sure don't believe it, so saying it like that makes it look like you're saying that's being said by others, which is a straw man.

And yes, he's gotten way too much abuse here over his time here, far more than he ever deserved. Bills fans tend to find whipping boys and pile on. He's been one.

He took a pay cut of $1.75 mill from his $50 mill contract ... in exchange for a longer guarantee. I thought your question was rhetorical since the answer was so obvious. Both sides got something from that.

My actual words meaning that there is no room for irony or jokes.. are you suggesting that every comment that is posted here needs to be literal or else prepare to be challenged to show examples of what other posters have said?

To underscore the point I am making if not already apparent... it’s convenient for some to say that Star is the reason why the D is not playing as well as last year... I don’t buy this argument particularly when he has been here a couple of years with limited love shown here..

What other players have taken a pay cut this year by the way? Is that a sign of a critical piece of the team?

Well if you talk to any of the "experts" on this board, Jordan Phillips wasn't any good to begin with. Double digit sacks and constant disruption in the backfield isn't important in McDermott's bend over and break defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I say this every time a Phillips thread appears: his sacks last year were almost exclusively coverage sacks. 

This year, through five games, he has seven tackles and two sacks. Not exactly star caliber. 

He’s a good player but that’s it. 

Just now, TroutDog said:

I say this every time a Phillips thread appears: his sacks last year were almost exclusively coverage sacks. 

This year, through five games, he has seven tackles and two sacks. Not exactly star caliber. 

He’s a good player but that’s it. 

OK, but who on our team is better right now? Where's the "upgrade"??

5 minutes ago, Luka said:

Well if you talk to any of the "experts" on this board, Jordan Phillips wasn't any good to begin with. Double digit sacks and constant disruption in the backfield isn't important in McDermott's bend over and break defense.

He didn't have double digit sacks and wasn't a constant disruption in the backfield.  

If he was a constant disruption in the backfield, he wouldn't be around the 18th or so highest paid DT per year.  A guy under the age of 30 who can get to the QB on the interior all time time is getting the Brinks Trunk.

2 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

OK, but who on our team is better right now? Where's the "upgrade"??

There isn't anyone better on the interior of that line. Not to mention, people don't understand his role to begin with. His role was to get into the backfield. The stats were just a bonus honestly. He was a disrupter.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He didn't have double digit sacks and wasn't a constant disruption in the backfield.  

If he was a constant disruption in the backfield, he wouldn't be around the 18th or so highest paid DT per year.  A guy under the age of 30 who can get to the QB on the interior all time time is getting the Brinks Trunk.

9.5, sorry. Let's find some more hairs to split lol Face it, this board doesn't know anything about football. People arguing against Phillip's importance to this defense are just butt hurt that he signed somewhere else. Proof is in the pudding. This defense is worse without him and Shaq. That's the fact of the matter.

8 minutes ago, Luka said:

There isn't anyone better on the interior of that line. Not to mention, people don't understand his role to begin with. His role was to get into the backfield. The stats were just a bonus honestly. He was a disrupter.

9.5, sorry. Let's find some more hairs to split lol Face it, this board doesn't know anything about football. People arguing against Phillip's importance to this defense are just butt hurt that he signed somewhere else. Proof is in the pudding. This defense is worse without him and Shaq. That's the fact of the matter.

Answer the question.

Why would a 28 year old interior pass rusher who is a constant disruptor sign a 3 year $30 million dollar contract?  Why is he not a top 5 paid defensive tackle and not extremely coveted by 90% of every team this past offseason?

Proof is not in the pudding because you didn't offer any proof.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Answer the question.

Why would a 28 year old interior pass rusher who is a constant disruptor sign a 3 year $30 million dollar contract?  Why is he not a top 5 paid defensive tackle and not extremely coveted by 90% of every team this past offseason?

Proof is not in the pudding because you didn't offer any proof.  

He was second in sacks from the DT position and my guess is the front office thought he was playing over his head and didn't want to pay him.  His contract isn't proof of his production or lack there of.  He signed a 3 year 30 million dollar deal because Beane people didn't trust his production but I've watched a few cards games and guess what he's making a difference for their D.  I'm not calling him a top five DT but he's better at penetrating than anyone we have on our roster currently. What seems to be concerning is that we keep paying people who can't get to the QB consistently who's main selling point would be getting to the QB (ie Murphy) and we keep letting people go who were actually productive.  Hopefully this is in part to the coverage being off with so many injuries and as we get people back we will have people covered and get to the QB more but I have to say I'd trade Murphy and Hughes for Lawson in a heart beat.

Star was a space eater and Phillips was excellent at the push up front. Beane gambled that he could let Phillips & Lawson go and find subtitle replacements which is failing spectacularly and killing the D.

Beane did get Phillips off the free agent wire so I believe he can find guys, but I am not sure why they are waiting so long. They really need a big guy in the middle.

13 minutes ago, Luka said:

Lol you have the balls to say we don't known anything about football when literally all you've done to try to make your point is bring up someone's sack total.

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

He was second in sacks from the DT position and my guess is the front office thought he was playing over his head and didn't want to pay him.  His contract isn't proof of his production or lack there of.  He signed a 3 year 30 million dollar deal because Beane people didn't trust his production but I've watched a few cards games and guess what he's making a difference for their D.  I'm not calling him a top five DT but he's better at penetrating than anyone we have on our roster currently. What seems to be concerning is that we keep paying people who can't get to the QB consistently who's main selling point would be getting to the QB (ie Murphy) and we keep letting people go who were actually productive.  Hopefully this is in part to the coverage being off with so many injuries and as we get people back we will have people covered and get to the QB more but I have to say I'd trade Murphy and Hughes for Lawson in a heart beat.

This doesn't make sense.  What does "Beane people" have anything to do with what other FO do?  

An interior penetrator and constant disruptor is the most coveted position on defense.  If on film he was doing that, he would have had multiple teams banging down his door to sign him.  

I would say his contract is proof of what was seen on film.  

Look at the extension Buckner signed.  He's getting paid more than twice the amount than Phillips....it's because he is a constant disruptor and gets to the QB.  

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I actually miss Shaq Lawson more than anyone. He was great in run support, was fast enough to to get to the side line and just controlled his gap. He could also get around 5 to 8 sacks a year. 

agreed, i was thinking we could replace him, but clearly we have not.  we've lost too much impact on the DL, and our LB position is just weak.

ironically, our run d is better this year, even with the rams trash game.  our pass d has fallen off a cliff.