Josh Allen - week FIVE report card

rayray808

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

A B- is a fair grade.

He had a lot more great throws then bad ones.  Keep in mind that with our terrible running game (how many times did we LOSE yardage on a run?) and all to frequent false starts Allen faced and converted a lot of 3rd & longs.  And every one of those conversions was an awesome throw.

And Allen did take what was given him.  True he forced a couple but that seemed more a reaction to the sense that the game was slipping away as our D couldn't stop them.

And lets not forget the horrible field position.  The Bills started drives at the 10, 9, 2 & 10 yard lines.  As others have said if this is Allen's new floor then we're in for 10 - 12 years of awesome QBing from this guy.

I think this is spot on. It seems to me that people overstate his bad throws today. There were some, but not that many as some make it sound, and he made lots of amazing plays. Drops didn't help either.

Without INT I'd say it was probably B+, maybe even A-. That INT was really bad however, and it takes his grade one down.

And exactly as you say, we had really bad field positions all day.

I coultn't agree more with bolded. If this is the floor, we are definitely set at QB (which we obviously are).

• Like (+1) 2

Again watch every QB in this league and you'll see plenty of bad passes.

However Allen did not play well, but it was probably a B.

The Bills Offense had the ball twice in the second Half (a terrible int and a TD drive).  That was it.  The Defense made Tannehill look like a HoF QB.

Everything seemed off and it also seems that Allen is trying too hard to stay in the pocket and so few runs.  How come Ryan (Tannehill or Fitz) now seem more dangerous running then Allen?

Bad drops, some passes just a little off and may also have been some bad reads.

However he also made some incredible throws too. 

Yep they missed Brown.

BTW love a bad game where he throws for 265 yards & 2 tds..... 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Well we shouldn't let the defense dictate what we do that easily. It's always tough without having all-22 footage because I don't know what went wrong. Were downfield routes not getting open? Were we not calling them? Did Allen miss open receivers? On the game winning TD drive against the Rams we needed to hit a bunch of down field passes and score a quick TD and we did it, even though I'm sure they were trying to take those routes away. So I know we are capable of doing it. For some reason it didn't click this week. It will be interesting to see what the film shows. My initial take based on broadcast footage is that our game plan was all wrong.

I don't think it was a great gameplan. I think they are a bit concerned about the run game and thought tonight was a chance to "get it going" and as such they didn't really get the offense going early. Equally looked in the first half (again from the broadcast angle) like Tennessee were confusing Josh a bit with their coverages. I felt he held the ball longer scanning the field and was a bit late on a number of the throws. Combination of  Josh just not quite being as special as he has been through 4 weeks, a bad offensive gameplan and a good Tennessee defensive plan IMO.

6 hours ago, Trogdor said:

People handle Allen with such kid gloves here lol. He absolutely has something to do with that first interception, he rocketed a pass behind the receiver. He knows, we all know, that Roberts is bad, but he still plays a part in that. I thought he was still better than last year, but he stopped throwing with touch. Many of his passes were back to being fastballs with little to no placement. He also just looked scattered early like he needed to force things in the first quarter. 

He has a fumbling problem, so less is better. Showing them he still can keeps them honest.

The pass hit the receive square in the hands......

I'm giving him a B-

• The first interception was not his fault
  • There were numerous drops (two by Diggs)
  • I saw only two bad throws: the second interception and one to the side line where he didn't set his feet and it bounced short.
  • His worst drives were the two three-and-outs started inside the 10 yard line. He seemed to really miss Brown in these series. After first series he directed a nice scoring drive.  The rest of the drives were well done (I'm still perplexed at what led to second interception).
  • Third down conversions were very well done

• So many team mental mistake penalties. How many false starts?
  • I thought they did a poor job adjusting to TEN taking away 10+ yard passes, and should have taken the dink and dunk sooner. 

Edited by Max Fischer

As for his grade in the game I guess I’d give him a B-/C+ type deal. The second pick was awful especially because Davis had a step or two on the DB so a missed opportunity. A couple more throws were off target (notably one again to an open Davis on a slant) and things only seemed to get worse rather than better as the game went on. A couple more throws could have resulted in picks. There were also a number of really bad drops however. And for whatever reason he didn’t get much help from the run game the (too) little they turned to it (gameplan/playcalls?). And his stat line wasn’t terrible, especially since one of the picks was on the receiver.

Game grades aside I was quite pleased with his performance because it actually continued to confirm to me that his spectacular improvement this year is probably legit. The throw to Yeldon for six and the TD throw to Davis that was called back for a penalty that in no way affected the play are big boy throws that some NFL QBs just dont make because you need all of field vision, anticipation and arm strength to do it. One of the CBS crew members made I thought a good point that Allen is beginning to see the field and anticipate the action the way Mahomes does coupled with the athleticism that they share that enables them for example, to roll out to their left and throw a laser across their body to a receiver breaking in the opposite direction. 

I was expecting Allen to improve this year but frankly I’m amazed by his progress. Like all teams the Bills have their warts but the evidence is to my mind fairly clear that Allen is definitely a franchise guy and on his way to being one of the best. So be happy.

Edited by starrymessenger

48 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a huge Josh fan, and simply love him. But that first INT was not the best throw. Yeah, it should have been caught, but any time you ratchet up the difficulty you run the risk of something like that happening. It happened later in the game too on a pass to Gabe. Finally, he threw a pass to Diggs on the right side in the first half that was simply terrible and could have been picked if not for a nice defensive play by Diggs. He's not going to be great every game, and this just happened to be one of them.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:51 AM, John from Riverside said:

The pass was fast and behind him. Even in the hands that's not easy. Is the receiver at fault...yes, but so is Josh for the poor placement. 

There were 5 drops in the game, and if I remember correctly, every one of them would've been a 1st down. The Roberts' INT & subsequent freeby Titans' TD started a snowball effect that couldn't be stopped, you could feel the wind coming out of the sails. If Roberts catches that ball for a 1st down, it's a totally different game.

Allen has worked on throwing a more receiver friendly ball with less pace on it in those situations that call for that. But in most cases the ball will continue to get to where it's going pretty quickly. Receivers have to be ready for that and get used to it. Brown, Diggs, Beasley are top shelf NFL receivers and we've seen that they can now definitely handle Josh's throws. Roberts is not a starting caliber receiver and he's also less accustomed to catching Allen's passes. The ball was slightly behind Roberts but an NFL receiver is without doubt expected to make that play. I'm sure Roberts would agree. 

It was definitely his worst game of the year and he was off.  That said, it would have been arguably his best game of the last 2 years.  There are still some things that make me nervous but he’s such a better passer than he has been.  I’m encouraged even after the loss. 

he also is a tremendous leader.