Josh Allen - week FIVE report card

rayray808

59 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Yikes. These are some high grades. 

I think C - C+ range is fair. 

Josh was far from the problem tonight.

Zero run game. Pretty sure about half is incompletions in the first half were drops including the INT. As good as Diggs was most this game he at least had two drops himself. Penalties galore by every offensive personnel not numbered 17. The costly pick second half pick when we were in scoring range drops his grade at least an entire letter grade alone. So looking at around a B before the pick which I think was fair considering everyone else playing with their heads up their butts. 

Also, a little more confirmation on Allen having a C - C+ type game, just look at his QBR vs. passer rating. His passer rating of 77 would suggest a D level game. But when you factor in game circumstances his  QBR was 69 which is above average. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I was actually very confident that he'd bring us back if the defense could get them off the field... he was denied a chance. But part of that is the interception he threw. I don't think it would have made a difference, it was still 3rd down that probably wouldn't have converted either way, but he can't make that mistake.

Even three their would have been big which i think they were in range for. And of course, the huge return wouldn't have happened either. 

The other thing I noticed about tonight's game vs the first four games is that it was  lot more dink and dunk. Probably a combination of Brown being out and what the Titans were doing defensively. They got two weeks to study film after all. That fourth quarter TD drive took way too much time off the clock but that was the offense we were utilizing tonight.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The other thing I noticed about tonight's game vs the first four games is that it was  lot more dink and dunk. Probably a combination of Brown being out and what the Titans were doing defensively. They got two weeks to study film after all. That fourth quarter TD drive took way too much time off the clock but that was the offense we were utilizing tonight.

Well we shouldn't let the defense dictate what we do that easily. It's always tough without having all-22 footage because I don't know what went wrong. Were downfield routes not getting open? Were we not calling them? Did Allen miss open receivers? On the game winning TD drive against the Rams we needed to hit a bunch of down field passes and score a quick TD and we did it, even though I'm sure they were trying to take those routes away. So I know we are capable of doing it. For some reason it didn't click this week. It will be interesting to see what the film shows. My initial take based on broadcast footage is that our game plan was all wrong.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

C+

He missed some throws but as others have mentioned Andre set the tone for tonight. I counted 4-5 drops. Everyone seemed off tonight. And I'm sure the nonsensical week of "who we play" factored in. I was concerned that there were moments when Josh seem to lose some poise. Obviously Smoke is more valuable then we thought. He will bounce back but I'm terrified that our D is so bad it may not matter.

Could just be an avalanche of all going on with this game that caused the offense to be out of sorts, and they were... everybody just seemed off.... but I’m drafting a burner early in the draft if what I saw with no Brown was any kind of cause and effect.  

This didn’t look like the explosive offense that can score from anywhere that I’ve seen Weeks 1-4.  

Allen was off most of the game....he was zipping passes with little touch behind receivers, he was pressing and impatient when the Titans took away the deep stuff and made him dink and dunk down the field. To be successful with that, Allen needed to be sharp and patient, and the Bills offense as a whole needed to play sharp; They were a hot mess of penalties.

Allen - solid C this game. He regressed in some ways and I think he knows that this is the blue print that teams are going to use against him. Forcing the patience and consistent execution of a game played behind the sticks, when the deep zones are well defended. To be fair, this also forces the Bills offense as a whole to prove they can execute play after play without shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers.

Diggs was a beast. Beasley was not too shabby either.

I know it is not exactly true, but I always feel that Knox has one good catch, and then one crucial missed catch. I am leaning more towards giving Kroft the starting slot on the depth chart, he has been a more reliable target for Allen when he has been the featured TE. Let Knox work with the jugs machine for a few weeks.

Edited by WideNine

C- 

It would've been lower if not for some incredible passes that helped make up for the fact that like one third of his throws were off target. Some of them like the first INT were bad ball placement but a lot of them were just off. He wasn't seeing the field well either. This looked at lot more like last year's Josh than what we saw through the first four weeks.

10 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I'd say a C+ would be generous.

That's not to say he won't rebound, but today was not an above average game...not unless we're grading him on a 2019 scale.

QBR would suggest it was an above average game at 69. Heck, even a good game. We can poo poo QBR (though i think it is a good stat,) but I think it has meaning with this game because it re-affirms what most of us saw with our own two eyes. Lot's of drops by the receivers and penalties putting us behind the eight ball. 

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

QBR would suggest it was an above average game at 69. Heck, even a good game. We can poo poo QBR (though i think it is a good stat,) but I think it has meaning with this game because it re-affirms what most of us saw with our own two eyes. Lot's of drops by the receivers and penalties putting us behind the eight ball. 

There were definitely some drops today, including the first INT, but Josh wasn't doing his receivers any favors with his ball placement. Diggs also made an incredible one-handed save along the sidelines that probably should've been incomplete.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Allen was off most of the game....he was zipping passes with little touch behind receivers, he was pressing and impatient when the Titans took away the deep stuff and make him dink and dunk down the field. To be successful with that, Allen needed to be sharp and patient, and the Bills offense as a whole needed to play sharp; They were a hot mess of penalties.

Allen - solid C this game. He regressed in some ways and I think he knows that this is the blue print that teams are going to use against him. Forcing the patience and consistent execution of a game played behind the sticks, when the deep zones are well defended. To be fair, this also forces the Bills offense as a whole to prove they can execute play after play without shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers.

Diggs was a beast. Beasley was not too shabby either.

I know it is not exactly true, but I always feel that Knox has one good catch, and then one crucial missed catch. I am leaning more towards giving Kroft the starting slot on the depth chart, he has been a more reliable target for Allen when he has been the featured TE. Let Knox work with the jugs machine for a few weeks.

100 balls out of the jugs will not help Knox. You can either catch or you can't.  He'll eventually be released. 

You'd basically never see the top 5 QBs in the league make that throw on the 2nd pick. But I got a feeling Josh Allen is kicking himself right now for that one and will do better next week.

The loss sucks, but I think Josh and the whole team will bring a prove it mentality next week, making it real competitive. If we won this week I think we'd have seen a softer bills team next week. So its not all bad

Well.... Deep breath. If I'm grading based on how I've graded all season that was a D performance. 

He had some accuracy issues and turnovers. I felt like it was an average performance but the turnover knocked him down from a C. Just like his good games, turnovers always key. 

Let's have a strong bounce back week vs Chiefs. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

People handle Allen with such kid gloves here lol. He absolutely has something to do with that first interception, he rocketed a pass behind the receiver. He knows, we all know, that Roberts is bad, but he still plays a part in that. I thought he was still better than last year, but he stopped throwing with touch. Many of his passes were back to being fastballs with little to no placement. He also just looked scattered early like he needed to force things in the first quarter. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am going with C plus

The first int was not his fault at all......it totally hit Roberts in the hands and he popped it up.....very Zay Jones like

The second Int was all Josh.....a strange through

Hardly ran at all which is an effective weapon for him

He has a fumbling problem, so less is better. Showing them he still can keeps them honest.

C-.  My grades are harsher now because I judge him on a higher standard now.  He was very good on 3rd down and made some impressive throws.  His 2nd interception was awful.  He tried to force it too much on Diggs and ignored an open Beasley on a few of those plays.  However, the lack of a running game, drops, and a defense who couldn't get off the field were much bigger problems.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

People handle Allen with such kid gloves here lol. He absolutely has something to do with that first interception, he rocketed a pass behind the receiver. He knows, we all know, that Roberts is bad, but he still plays a part in that. I thought he was still better than last year, but he stopped throwing with touch. Many of his passes were back to being fastballs with little to no placement. He also just looked scattered early like he needed to force things in the first quarter. 

He has a fumbling problem, so less is better. Showing them he still can keeps them honest.

It hit him between the numbers and bounced off his chest.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1