Josh Allen - week FIVE report card

rayray808

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

One problem I noticed today was the running game never got going for the 5th straight week. We’ve yet to have our backs go over 100 yards on their own. The OL or play design seems to be lacking. It seemed every Tennesssee run wore us down, put us on our heels and guys got dragged down.. Meanwhile our runs the the defense was coming downhill teeing off on our guys. For all the talk of have big studs on both lines we looked the weaker team today. 

We have a line built to pass block and running backs who lack the burst to hit the hole. Once a game Singletary will make a guy will and break off a 10-15 yarder but so far I remain if the view this guy is not an every down NFL back. I can't believe I am about to say this but we might need more Yeldon? 

5 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

One problem I noticed today was the running game never got going for the 5th straight week. We’ve yet to have our backs go over 100 yards on their own. The OL or play design seems to be lacking. It seemed every Tennesssee run wore us down, put us on our heels and guys got dragged down.. Meanwhile our runs the the defense was coming downhill teeing off on our guys. For all the talk of have big studs on both lines we looked the weaker team today. 

We have an above average pass blocking line and a below average run blocking line... maybe Feliciano helps in that regard.  

Tannehill’s line the opposite.. they aren’t that good at pass pro, but he gets rid of it quick and is mobile - however, they are maulers in the run game for Henry. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

We have an above average pass blocking line and a below average run blocking line... maybe Feliciano helps in that regard.  

Tannehill’s line the opposite.. they aren’t that good at pass pro, but he gets rid of it quick and is mobile, but they are maulers in the run game for Henry. 

Then it’s amazing how quickly they got open with how quickly Tannehill gets it out.

C+ sounds about right to me. Although he did have some absolutely fantastic throws, even in this debacle. Main things for me that takes the grade down were the bad INT and the fact that he seemed to be more than occasionally throwing behind his targets tonight, which he hasn’t done in a while. 

Allen is the best player on the team though, along with Diggs and White. We’ll need some more guys to step up.  

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Then it’s amazing how quickly they got open with how quickly Tannehill gets it out.

I mean, 3rd and 19, he has two dudes running wide open up the middle of the field for a first down to choose from. 

That’s been every game this year.  We take away deep shots, for the most part, but underneath/intermediate stuff is open with hardly any resistance. 

Just now, SCBills said:

I mean, 3rd and 19, he has two dudes running wide open up the middle of the field for a first down to choose from. 

That’s been every game this year.  We take away deep shots, for the most part, but underneath/intermediate stuff is open with hardly any resistance. 

Edmunds in no man’s land. He’s always out of position. Years past he seemed to be involved in many more passing lanes getting PDs.

42 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I like that you grade the QB on his performance rather than the outcome of the game. 

This was definitely the worst game by Josh this year, but it wasn't terrible. I think B-/C+ is fair. 

I would agree with a B.  The Bills had no running game going which put them behind the sticks quite a bit - yet he still converted some 3rd downs.  

The INT was a killer though.  If you are going to give Allen a C, what are your grades for some other players?

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That’s on the LB’s.... Edmunds is just bad.  At this point the Bills should just sign Nigel Bradham

and sit Edmunds 

A B- is a fair grade.

He had a lot more great throws then bad ones.  Keep in mind that with our terrible running game (how many times did we LOSE yardage on a run?) and all to frequent false starts Allen faced and converted a lot of 3rd & longs.  And every one of those conversions was an awesome throw.

And Allen did take what was given him.  True he forced a couple but that seemed more a reaction to the sense that the game was slipping away as our D couldn't stop them.

And lets not forget the horrible field position.  The Bills started drives at the 10, 9, 2 & 10 yard lines.  As others have said if this is Allen's new floor then we're in for 10 - 12 years of awesome QBing from this guy.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

A B- is a fair grade.

He had a lot more great throws then bad ones.  Keep in mind that with our terrible running game (how many times did we LOSE yardage on a run?) and all to frequent false starts Allen faced and converted a lot of 3rd & longs.  And every one of those conversions was an awesome throw.

And Allen did take what was given him.  True he forced a couple but that seemed more a reaction to the sense that the game was slipping away as our D couldn't stop them.

And lets not forget the horrible field position.  The Bills started drives at the 10, 9, 2 & 10 yard lines.  As others have said if this is Allen's new floor then we're in for 10 - 12 years of awesome QBing from this guy.

Allen has to be the most automatic 3rd and long QB I’ve ever seen.  It’s absurd how strong he is at throwing dimes in these situations. 

• Like (+1) 3

Not great...got in a rhythm then threw another bad INT. Didn't even attempt a deep throw.

That throw to Yeldon for a TD was an absolute laser tho.

Where were the overs? Titans were playing a lot of zone, where were the deep floods? Seemed way too content to let the Titans dictate what we did instead of attacking like we have all the other games on offense.

Wasn't terrible by any stretch and his receivers dropping catchable balls didn't help either. Like the entire team Allen was just off today.

I'd give him a B- or C+...

I am struggling to think of a single player that played well...I mean even Bojo with that booming punt had a blatant HS miscue where he held the FG with the laces facing Bass...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I dig this weekly thread.

I’m generally about a 1/3 of a letter grade harsher than you are. But this week I am a full letter grade. I thought he stared down receivers, point the ball ball at receivers, threw into triple coverage, and stayed with his first read too long/all day. It was much better than the last two years but not good overall. 

There was a major positive I thought. Odd to say, I thought this might have been his best game in terms of feeling the pocket. There were plus where not only would have been sacked and not made a step forward/left/right last year, but plays where he may have been sacked in the last few weeks. I was impressed with this part of his game this week. 

I feel the B- this week is pretty fair.  His passes were not on the money as in past games however most were still pretty catchable.  The second int was bad.  Must have lost track of the defender.  Tried to push the ball to Diggs too much the first half instead of spreading the ball around which he was so good at in other games. 

I think the score could have went a little lower but I like the B- because he was one of the best players on our field today, if not the best.  He had drive killing drops.  Some of those passes were off but catchable and the receiver should/could have made a play for him.  Also he was constantly playing behind in score, behind the sticks from penalties, behind in field position, and had not much running game.  He was also pressured more this week than in the past.  Yet, he still continued to convert 3rd downs being behind it all.  This is why I feel the grade goes up to the B-.

Edited by Scott7975

C+

He missed some throws but as others have mentioned Andre set the tone for tonight. I counted 4-5 drops. Everyone seemed off tonight. And I'm sure the nonsensical week of "who we play" factored in. I was concerned that there were moments when Josh seem to lose some poise. Obviously Smoke is more valuable then we thought. He will bounce back but I'm terrified that our D is so bad it may not matter.