Josh Allen - week FIVE report card

rayray808

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

WEEK FOUR: A-

WEEK FIVE: B-

26-41 - 63% completion, 263 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT, 18 yards rushing

Ugly game on defense. Ugly game on special teams. A healthy mix of bad luck and bad decisions on offense.

First and foremost the INT off Roberts hands/chest just can't happen. It turns a first down for us, into a touchdown for them. It started the snowball effect of our defense being exposed. I was absolutely furious when that happened especially since it was not on Josh at all. (bad luck)

During the first half drops plagued us in a bad way as well. Drive killers and momentum stoppers. Again, I really felt for Josh on these because it seemed to suck the air out of drives when we are already nearly running on fumes. (bad luck)

Forcing the ball to Diggs became an issue that even the announcers started to pick up on. There was a few passes that could have been picked off, but didn't, however the INT to Davis was a bad one. It reminded me of the "Old Josh" and was just an error that we can't have when we are playing from behind with a defense that is getting abused. (bad decisions)

I originally was going to give Josh a C+ for today, however the rest of the team did so awful that it's tough to pin so much on him. In reality, he was the only reason we were even somewhat in this game. Overall this week had bad vibes all around it. The Titans were almost given the royal treatment by the league of being somewhat "rewarded" for not following protocols. Sure they didn't get to practice, but they got AJ Brown back (who we saw could NOT be guarded by anyone active on our roster) along with other players whom if protocols were not broken and a Sunday game occurred, would not have been playing. On our side? I am convinced that Tre made a family decision to not risk it and play in this game. I don't blame him at all and if you have negative feelings towards him because of that decision... shame on you.

Glass half full: in a terrible, terrible, game - our young QB did not sh**t the bed and stayed poised minus one bad throw. He was spotted on the sideline trying to pick up the defense and rally the guys. A true class act.

Glass half empty: without John Brown our offense has no deep threat and it shows. Our 3rd down safety valve is also gone although Josh still makes amazing plays happen. Most importantly though, our defense went from elite to dare I say... a liability. Our special teams has laces pointed in, fumbled kick returns, and just an overall "hold your breath" every time they are on the field approach. I don't care how good Josh Allen progresses this year, if our D and Special teams take huge steps back - we will not only lose the division, but we might not even get the 7 seed.

What's the perfect way to rebound from this embarrassing loss? Beat the Chiefs on a Monday night.

GO BILLS! 

Edited by rayray808
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'd give him a solid C. He had some noticeably off throws today. Throwing behind receivers a lot. Plus the really bad INT where he just didn't see the defender lurking.

He was also late on a lot of his throws. Receivers had to be open a long time before he trusted throwing it to them. He needs to get that ball out a bit quicker and hit them right when they come open.

But he showed some good stuff. Special teams and defense were really brutal today.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

He played like last year. The touch was gone, missing wide open receivers, forcing the ball into coverage, not taking what defense gives you. 

Good thing is we usually learn from our mistakes and fix them. Especially after a bad loss like this. Hopefully the defense can get to below average or even average and we should be fine

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

This is his worst performance thus far, but it feels so much worse because of what we saw the first 4 weeks. He still completed 63% which could have been better if not for 4 clear drops, one leading to an INT, and another two that could be seen either way. I give him a C+ though because this was the first time you saw him trying to force the game like last year. He locked on Diggs way too often and threw a really bad INT. It was a bad game, the kid is still growing, and he's still much improved over last year. 

C

Looked like one of the few who actually showed up to play tonight.  Made some electric throws.   Was good enough to win if our defense wasn’t becoming one of the worst in the league. 

The second half pick was an absolute gut punch. 

Let down far too frequently by drops and penalties. 

Combine that with the fact that our defensive issues have to be something he’s aware of, adding more pressure to get points every drive.  

Same storm we saw against the Texans, with the same result from Allen... he tries to do too much and it ends up hurting us. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll give him a C+. Aside from the 2nd pick if that is the worst Josh Allen we'll see that is a solid floor, probably a B. But the 2nd pick was just inexcusably bad. He panicked and didn't see the defender. That's a rookie Josh Allen mistake that we couldn't afford in that spot. By and large though he was not the problem tonight. I'm not sure A+ Josh Allen would have won this game either.

• Like (+1) 2

C+/B-.  My only serious gripe with his performance in this game was the 2nd interception.  I'm not going to pick the rest of it apart.  Could have been better,  could have been worse.  I thought he played decently and I do think John Brown's absence affected him and the rest of the offense.  Likewise,  I think its asking a bit much to expect a 3rd year QB to carry the team every week without the occasional bad game.  Its going to happen once in a while. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'd give Josh a C. He wasn't the reason we lost the game but he was a bit off all night. I think the Titans did a really good job especially first half disguising coverages and confusing him a bit but he tried to force too many balls tonight and while the first INT was definitely not on him he got away with two that should have been picked before the 2nd one was. 

Not a disastrous performance by any means and he still had 3 or 4 great throws but not a good performance either on a night when, frankly, almost nothing about the Bills was good.

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

.he got the ball once in the 4th quarter that’s on the other guys 

Yeah I was actually very confident that he'd bring us back if the defense could get them off the field... he was denied a chance. But part of that is the interception he threw. I don't think it would have made a difference, it was still 3rd down that probably wouldn't have converted either way, but he can't make that mistake.

2 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

A very generous B- by the OP.  The int on the first series was a terrible pass that was well behind Roberts.  On a night where Josh had all kind of time to throw, it was a very disappointing game.

Hard no on this.  It hit Roberts in the hands.  Catch that ***. 

• Like (+1) 3

One problem I noticed today was the running game never got going for the 5th straight week. We’ve yet to have our backs go over 100 yards on their own. The OL or play design seems to be lacking. It seemed every Tennesssee run wore us down, put us on our heels and guys got dragged down.. Meanwhile our runs the the defense was coming downhill teeing off on our guys. For all the talk of have big studs on both lines we looked the weaker team today. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2