A few thoughts about the Titans game, in no particular order

Virgil

Best just to forget everything about this game from the Titans covid fiesta, the postponement, the NFL making up some BS (Titans not at fault) explanation and then the Bills literally giving the Titans the game. I am very concerned going forward with this defense. They are beaten up and dont look like they have much self belief. They got ripped apart today by the mediocre talent of Ryan Tannehill and at many times in the game looked utterly lost for what to do.   I know football is not basketball, where a time out can settle everything down but Frazier and McD have to do something different in these games where the defense is getting manhandled. It happened in the LA game and happened throughout tonight's game. They have to be able to mix things up and dial in something new on defense when things arent working.  As for  the talent that we have to work with, its looking pretty grim,

.  We need to hit the FA market and get somebody who can 1. Sack the QB, 2. spy the QB so he doesnt run for 50 yards, 3. knows what an INT is? and/or and maybe most importantly shows some leadership when the chips are down and raises other peoples games up. Right now we seem to lacking in a 4 of those areas!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm confused as to why we ran the ball so much tonight. It was a weird reversal of what's worked for us this year. We had way too many 3rd downs and eventually you're going to run out of luck on those. Especially that drive that took forever to start the 4th quarter, what was the game plan there? Don't we have a downfield passing offense?

I really am not worried about Allen or the offense, I think it was just a bad night for them. I like Gabe Davis but he's still a rookie and he can't get open as consistently as Brown can. Brown's injury combined with uncharacteristic drops and the terrible interception just snowballed into a bad performance. That doesn't concern me as much as the defense who have looked exactly the same all year long.

To your running point. I think it was because they THOUGHT a depleted team who hasn't been conditioning would allow them to wear them out. What I dont get is running when you have to score in a hurry. 

I will beat the table that we need some speed in the backfield. Moss and Motor are essentially the same. No change of pace. 

I am just worried this post will bring about Wade talk. 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm confused as to why we ran the ball so much tonight. It was a weird reversal of what's worked for us this year. We had way too many 3rd downs and eventually you're going to run out of luck on those. Especially that drive that took forever to start the 4th quarter, what was the game plan there? Don't we have a downfield passing offense?

I really am not worried about Allen or the offense, I think it was just a bad night for them. I like Gabe Davis but he's still a rookie and he can't get open as consistently as Brown can. Brown's injury combined with uncharacteristic drops and the terrible interception just snowballed into a bad performance. That doesn't concern me as much as the defense who have looked exactly the same all year long.

Titans had the 31st ranked rushing defense entering tonight. Coaching obviously thought that was a weakness, and obviously it did not work at all for us tonight. 

Bills finished with 57 yards on 20 carries (minus the garbage time runs) 

I agree on the defense that it's been bad all year. With an average offense this team would be 1-4 right now 

• Like (+1) 1

Let’s face it: Even though the Bills have improved under McBeane, they have drafted poorly and it’s starting to show.  Other than JA and Tre White, they have whiffed on all of their premium picks over the past three seasons.  Oliver, Edwards, Epenesa, Ford...None of these guys are playing anywhere near their draft level, and these past few drafts have been loaded with big time players in the first two rounds.  Josh’s progress and some good free agent pickups have hidden the problem, but this is suddenly a team without much talent on defense, despite using a ton of draft capital on that side of the ball.  I mean, they didn’t even come close to sacking Tannehill tonight.  This is not going to be an easy fix.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dubs said:

The defense is going to have to evolve into some of the patriot defenses of their heyday. Might give up lots of yards and even points, but cause turnovers, get big stops, and hold teams to more FGs than TDs. 

Rarely do we go through a game without any chance for a turnover.  Just felt like the D was not even threatening tonight.

Oh well.  Diggs got me enough points to have a big come from behind fantasy football win.   That was the only positive thing for me.  Everything else about this game sucked.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Titans had the 31st ranked rushing defense entering tonight. Coaching obviously thought that was a weakness, and obviously it did not work at all for us tonight. 

Yeah but they've been a very poor pass defense too. It doesn't make sense to go away from what's been working for us all year. Especially once the Titans started pulling ahead. I've never seen less urgency from an offense down 3 scores in the 4th quarter. Ultimately it probably wouldn't have mattered but when it does matter they have to do better than that.

17 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

I think it was because they THOUGHT a depleted team who hasn't been conditioning would allow them to wear them out. What I dont get is running when you have to score in a hurry. 

On some level I do understand that game plan. I thought early on they were trying to grind the Titans down. But they needed to change it up once it became apparent our defense couldn't stop them. Where was Beasley in the 1st half? It was just a poor game for Daboll and I think he has been outstanding in every other game.

Tonight's game was in no particular order.

1 minute ago, In Summary said:

Re 7: I can't dump on the defensive backfield too much when the D line gets no pressure.

I wish Edmunds had the heart and instincts if Milano.

There's no Dawg in Edmunds. Both Milano and Edmunds are to small to consistently make tackles. We don't even run a 4-3 anymore.  Taron Johnson sucks. It just blows me away we had a top 3 Defense the last 2 years and now we can't even get off the damn field. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah but they've been a very poor pass defense too. It doesn't make sense to go away from what's been working for us all year. Especially once the Titans started pulling ahead. I've never seen less urgency from an offense down 3 scores in the 4th quarter. Ultimately it probably wouldn't have mattered but when it does matter they have to do better than that.

On some level I do understand that game plan. I thought early on they were trying to grind the Titans down. But they needed to change it up once it became apparent our defense couldn't stop them. Where was Beasley in the 1st half? It was just a poor game for Daboll and I think he has been outstanding in every other game.

I agree with that sentiment. I wish I were good enough to know the read progressions. It seemed like there were guys on passing plays who were open well before Allen threw it. If he did. Daboll needed to abort the run as you said. It was just the case of hoping to catch the d sleeping. But they seemed wide awake to me. Geez those guys can run for days

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I will be watching the replays of this game a few times. Epenesa looks like he has some burst on the outside and the arm length to abuse some RT’s. 

You couldn’t convince me to watch one single replay of this game for any amount of money in the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

It never ceases to amaze me how many bad things we all see when the Bills lose a game and yet were there during the wins too.

Bills OC Brian Daboll, now that he has gotten serious looks from other teams about becoming their new HC, Falcons, Texans. He seems to shoot himself in the foot just like he did last season after that awesome Cowboys game win with that craptastic play calling against the Ravens the following week. Granted, the Bills passing offense looked unstoppable until this game

This game proves you simply can't be a one dimensional offense in this league. They lose WR John Brown for a game and suddenly the passing offense goes into the ceramic convenience? Josh Allen 26 of 41 for 263 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs. QBR 69.4. It wasn't like Allen was under a ton of pressure either as the Titans only sacked him once. Did Tenn steal the Raiders theme against the Chiefs and pass rush fewer while dropping more into coverage? 

Does Daboll not see who has the hot hand on offense or simply just does all game what he planned on doing from the start? The Bills had extra time to prepare for the Titans and yet fell on their face. 22 rushes vs 41 passes. Singletary 11 rushes 25 carries a 2.3 YPC avg. TJ Yeldon 7 carries 52 yards 7.4 ypc avg. 

Cole Beasley caught 6 of 6 passes. Diggs caught 10 of 16. Davis caught 5 of 9. 

The Buffalo Bills need to build a power run attack for when the snow, cold and wind gets to Buffalo and when the passing game isn't working. They don't have that part of their offense working very well. Previous to the Titans game, Bills offensive rush game for the season, four games 21st in rush attempts. 28th in rushing yards. 

Now that the entire NFL world watched as Tennessee took apart that Bills defense for 42 points...do the wheels come off now? 4-1 Chiefs, 2-2 Patriots, 5-0 Seahawks...

I mean, what is with the containment issues?  DE's routinely breaking inside of their blocker instead of sealing the edge.

And the 3rd & 7 Offside was such a hair puller.  Overall, the penalties were pure amateur hour - just bad coaching.  Championship teams can't make that many unforced mistakes.

But that 3rd & 7. We had a shot there.  Even if the kicker makes the FG, we're down 14 w/ plenty of time left.  That cannot happen.

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Best just to forget everything about this game from the Titans covid fiesta, the postponement, the NFL making up some BS (Titans not at fault) explanation and then the Bills literally giving the Titans the game. I am very concerned going forward with this defense. They are beaten up and dont look like they have much self belief. They got ripped apart today by the mediocre talent of Ryan Tannehill and at many times in the game looked utterly lost for what to do.   I know football is not basketball, where a time out can settle everything down but Frazier and McD have to do something different in these games where the defense is getting manhandled. It happened in the LA game and happened throughout tonight's game. They have to be able to mix things up and dial in something new on defense when things arent working.  As for  the talent that we have to work with, its looking pretty grim,

.  We need to hit the FA market and get somebody who can 1. Sack the QB, 2. spy the QB so he doesnt run for 50 yards, 3. knows what an INT is? and/or and maybe most importantly shows some leadership when the chips are down and raises other peoples games up. Right now we seem to lacking in a 4 of those areas!

This defense lacks a true leader. Last year we saw Shaq & Phillips show passion. There has been no one willing to step up and become that leader that we've had in the past. It just feels like a bunch of guys. We're in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CaliBills said:

I also completely blame the NFL for keeping the Bills in limbo from Friday - Tuesday.  Not knowing if they have to play the Titans on Tuesday or the Chiefs on Thursday.

Titans had it easy. Game plan for the Bills for basically two weeks. Get healthy. and hold out of facility practices and meetings.

I love the "well they are professionals so they should be prepared".  Just put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes.  It is ridiculous the NFL put them in this spot to have to be concerned about playing a team that had 23+ covid positives and trusted they were following the rules. While also have to be concerned about played two different opponents within 2 days of each other if the other one doesn't go.

I'm not going to make excuses for this game, because the Bills were horrible.

Having said that, when the NFL says this season will be "unfair" for some teams, we all know who's immediately going to be on THAT list. Usually, it's the same teams that get the short end of the stick. 

The Bills must always be prepared to beat more than just the opponent... with either the refs, or the NFL, or both adding to the difficulties.

Edited by Búfalo Blanco
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:performance.

7 - Taron - I debated talking about multiple defensive backs, but Taron Johnson also got abused tonight  On a 3rd and long, he got absolutely abused on a route and the look on his face afterwards said it all.  He was badly beaten on a few plays and overall showed that DB has to be a priority in FA or in the draft.  There's no reason our defensive backs should overall be this bad without Tre, especially when the Titans were without their #2 and 3 receivers. 

They need to try Phillips in the slot.  Johnson looks cooked.  I don’t know why, but he can’t cover a bed with a blanket this season.  He has to sit.

Edited by purple haze