A few thoughts about the Titans game, in no particular order

Virgil

Beside avoiding the injury bug, which is huge, there are so little good points. Like every little thing that could go wrong... did. The Offside and false starts, drops, etc. 

You cannot say that game is an indication of what's to come, too many bad things all at once. That will rarely happen, and hopefully won't again this season! But damn, Norman went from hero to zero fast. And Roberts, even if he didn't break one, looked like a stud in games 1-4... today was a dud. So hard to comprehend. Body language was suspect from the start.

As usual, when Josh could run a bit and get physical is game improved, but that was late in the game. Unless he clicks from the get go, it has to be a part of the offensive game plan to get him going physically.

White and Milano were sorely missed. 

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

A series circuit is great when everyone is working together and puts on a great light show.  But when you're totally reliant upon in and one part goes down, the whole thing goes down. 

1 - Tuesday Night Game - Say what you want about COVID rescheduling and if the Titans deserve responsibility, both teams still had to go out any play the game today.  Both teams were missing key players.  Both teams had their normal rhythm thrown off.  But only one team decided to not show up tonight and I have no sympathy for millionaire athletes who don't show up.  Yes, that probably sets the tone for the rest of this.  While I do give credit to the Titans for having a good defensive game plan against us, we also have coaches who's job is to game plan and get their players up for the game.

2 - Mistakes - I was going to call out a few players with their own individual thoughts, but by the time we got to the 3rd quarter, I stopped tracking.  To say we weren't mentally in this game today would be the understatement of a lifetime.  If the false starts weren't enough, every receiver, besides Beasley, found a way to drop a pass.  Roberts took dropping a pass to a new level, and tried to make up for it with some ill-advised kick-off returns.  Neal lost his lane on the huge punt return.  The defense contributed with some really stupid late hits on 3rd down, poor tackling, and other mishaps I'll get to later.  Even Allen was a team player and threw his first real interception of the season, and boy was it a bad one.  For anyone watching the Bills in their first evening prime time game, it'd be very easy for you to think this was the same old Bills.

3 - Allen - While I credit the Titans for running a similar 3 deep coverage and making Allen beat them with small passes downfield, Allen also had quite a bit of time to throw.  The ridiculous amount of drops couldn't have helped his confidence, but that's not something that's really ever shaken him before.  However, come third quarter, you could see that Allen was rattled and making some throws we aren't used to this season.  Not a single throw was attempted more than 20 yards downfield and his interception really was that bad.  I get that Brown was out, who has really become Allen's security blanket, but that's not enough to excuse this offensive performance.

4 - Ten years the waves roll the ships home from the sea,

Thinkin' well how it may blow in all good company,

If I tell another what your own lips told to me,

Let me lay 'neath the roses, till my eyes no longer see.

5 - Rushing attack - While the Titans have made the play action a fundamental part of their offense, our play action is as believable as those tax refund scam callers.  We maybe ran 3 times with Allen under center.  Everything else was out of the pistol or shotgun.  Motor had no head start on the defense nor was called for any outside zone runs.  I'm really starting to get concerned with our rushing offense and I think it's more about Daboll than Motor, especially against a poorly ranked Titans rush defense.  We've got to have some form of rushing attack that opposing teams can respect, and not because Allen is scrambling. 

6 - Norman - Hailed as one of the defensive heroes last week, Norman was anything but this week.  On the first touchdown of the game, Norman didn't even seem to be aware he was in on the play as he made zero attempt on the ball.  I'm not sure if Angry Runs includes plays called back on penalty, but I'm sure Norman hopes not.  Norman played like a guy who had to settle for a one year deal and missed the first three games. Opposite of Tre and being able to play more zone, I'm sure Norman can be a helpful part of the team, but he wasn't ready for AJ Brown at all today. 

7 - Taron - I debated talking about multiple defensive backs, but Taron Johnson also got abused tonight  On a 3rd and long, he got absolutely abused on a route and the look on his face afterwards said it all.  He was badly beaten on a few plays and overall showed that DB has to be a priority in FA or in the draft.  There's no reason our defensive backs should overall be this bad without Tre, especially when the Titans were without their #2 and 3 receivers. 

8 - Defense - The best way to prevent Allen from showing his 4th quarter magic (that probably wasn't going to happen tonight), is to not let Allen see the field in the 4th quarter.  We not only allowed a rushing TD to Tannehill, but also a 20 yard rush later in the 4th quarter.  When we did send pressure, it was up the middle and had no affect on Tannehill's passes.  We made him look competent, and you know how hard that is to do.  Oliver non-existent again.  Yes, we also gave them great field position on a few plays, but our defense did nothing to make Tannehill uncomfortable.  We didn't generate a single turnover gave up 42 points to the Titans.  Yes, we got BLOWN OUT by the Titans.  Take away the short field for two of those touchdowns, there's still 21 points out there and our complete inability to get them off the field in the 4th.

9 - Edmunds - Unless he absolutely loses a game for us or turns it around, this is the last week I'm going to talk about Edmunds.  I don't know the extent of his injury, but Edmunds is not playing anywhere near up to his potential.  He had one good 3rd down break up pass, but that's about it today.  He fell off of multiple tackles and was terrible in coverage.  On one play in particular, Edmunds was covering the middle of the short field and had no offensive Titans anywhere near him besides Brown, whom he proceeds to make a catch within a few yards of him and doesn't react at all.  If I'm being to hard on the kid, let me know.  But when is the last time his name was mentioned in a positive or dominating way.

10 - McD/Espenesa - On 3rd and 7, Espenesa jumped Offside on a hard count by Tannehill.  While that was par for the course tonight, the reaction wasn't.  Unless I've missed it, I've never seen McD pull a player off the field for a mistake and it goes to overall show how bad tonight was.  If McClappy and captain positive himself had a moment like that on camera, then that's all you need to know.  I also found it interesting that McD called a timeout when down 35-16 instead of letting the game end.  I take that to mean he's trying to prove a point about not giving up and executing correctly going forward.  However, in giving up two more touchdowns afterwards, I don't think that message landed.  I would love to be a fly on the wall in that locker room and hope the beating is worthy of this performance.  The streak of not getting blown out is also over.

LVP - It's hard to pick one person in this pit of misery, but Roberts has to get it or me.  The fumble at the end of the game wasn't going to change anything, but add in the early interception, the poor return choices, and drops....Congrats Andre.  You earned it!

One of the unwritten rules is to not post one of these so close to the end of the game and let things simmer.  However, it's Tuesday, I'm tired, and this wasn't a game.  Also, ***** you Vrabel and Tannehill for the last touchdown pass.  That's a dick move and you know it.  Titans climbed up the list of hated teams with this game and entire mess. 

4-1 with the Chiefs coming up.  We need to get healthy quick.

Go Bills

The Bills defense has looked awful all year.  Regardless of missing White & Milano they are slow and poor tacklers. NO PASS RUSH!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Did not enjoy this game one bit. I couldn't help but have flashbacks to the crapoy Bills teams of the past. Allen regressed badly wrong, defense was horrendous, what running game or pass rush?, and Oline sucked wrong. A total disaster tonight. Hoping this makes us better. My biggest concern was how bad Allen was. He panicked, was inaccurate, stared down receivers, and didn't run at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Id rather say this after a win @Virgil but once again, well written. I  am concerned with the running game. Not sure what the answer is but we cannot run the ball. Singletary does not look hungry and Im not sure if it is because his "job is secure". Need the shake that kid up. 

Bills were not even slightly disciplined today. Not sure what that was all about. Did the spend the week worried about getting covid in Tennessee? Hard telling without knowing but it was horrendous.  Josh Allen. First time the camera zoomed in I told my wife he looks sick. I saw it in a game last year too. He played like it as well. Just saying. Did anyone else see it?  Well. Thank God that is over. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The problem with Edmunds is hes the same exact player he was when we drafted him.

Fast, tall LB.....but hes slow to diagnose and always seems to be going tot he wrong place.

He was responsible for a lot of thise bootlegs Tannehill had because he gets so fooled on PA and runs himself right out of the play.  

I'm getting to the point where I just think this is the olauer he is and its below average.  Every time Milano misses a game it reinforces that hes the only Good LB we have

• Like (+1) 1

Good post and review, as always. 

Tonight’s loss really brought to surface a lot of the issues the defense has been having this year. We figured out that if the offense has an average to below average night then we’re going to lose. 

Josh had a rough night, and that’s expected. Every QB has a rough game. He still battled, but the turnovers were crucial and given the state of the defense there’s no way were overcoming those. 

As far as the defense goes I don’t even know where to start. Yes, we can say we missed Milano and Tre, but let’s be honest here. The defense has been extremely suspect all year WITH them. There is absolutely ZERO penetration by the defensive line and every time we blitz the blitzers just run straight into guys. The linebackers can’t fill gaps or cover and the DBs are invisible. Even Hyde and Poyer have been very suspect. 

I don’t know how to fix it nor am I paid to do that, but maybe this loss is a blessing in disguise as they can now face the problems head on, and not have them masked by the offense that just outscores everyone now. 

A lot to get fixed this upcoming week. Hopefully they can do it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The defense is going to have to evolve into some of the patriot defenses of their heyday. Might give up lots of yards and even points, but cause turnovers, get big stops, and hold teams to more FGs than TDs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Several glaring factors from this game.

1. Team was not prepared to play.

2. The defense has regressed as a whole.

Yes.. White, Milano, and Star are big reasons, but the defense is a season-long concern.

3. Bills are a good team, but not great. The cupcake games against Jets and Miami made us look top 5. We are closer to the 8th-12th best team. A reality-check.

4. No running game.

5. Josh Allen led some impressive drives, but he really hurt the team tonight.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Nope because defence has been trash all season,  you cannot win a playoff game with a defence that cannot make plays

The defense definitely needs to step it up two or three notches,  but with multiple starters out,  including both starting corners,  I'm not surprised they played poorly tonight.   But you're right,  they likely can't sustain these types of defensive performances over the course of a full season.    

Bottom line is we weren’t ready to play.  Can’t say I blame them but it is what it is.  Josh wasn’t sharp, there were a lot of drops and a lot of penalties but we still moved the ball.  The defense is concerning and has been.  Hughes has to stop with the selfish inside rushes.  All the defensive ends need to have better contain.  Edmunds needs to play with more violence.  Can’t have a MLB who plays that soft.  Monday will show us what they’re made of. 

The Bills Titans game tonight seals the deal for me.  Practice in the NFL means exactly squat.  The Bills have been practicing like normal.  The Titans have practiced like twice in the last 2 weeks, Had zoom meetings. And they kick the living crap out of and totally outplay the Bills in every way tonight.  Plus no preseason for everyone and yet they all played well week 1.  Practice means nothing at that level.

Edited by CodeMonkey