All those premium picks on defense...

whorlnut

28 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Perhaps the issue is that he HAS to literally be all over the field. Are others not doing their jobs ? 

Or perhaps...Milano hurt again.  Tre and Levi out.  Edmunds playing hurt.  All the new pieces didnt have a training camp, preseason, etc to get ready and gel.  Harrison still working his way back.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

On 10/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, davspo said:

McDermott needs to own it and take over defensive play calling 

Is is really play calling or is it personnel

On 10/13/2020 at 10:16 PM, Virgil said:

In this game, yes.  Overall, they've been good

Jefferson has been our best d lineman in my estimation 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:46 PM, whorlnut said:

...and this is what we get. Yeah, yeah, yeah...we are missing Tre and Milano. I get that. But Milano was a fifth rounder and Tre has been overall underwhelming this season. Either way...Edmunds looks completely terrible, Oliver is almost non-existent, and Epenesa looks completely lost. It’s beyond pathetic. There really isn’t an excuse with all the premium picks spent on making this a premium unit.

The Titans exposed our lack of size and talent across the D front, Beane has a lot of work to do along with a top corner and better LB and secondary depth.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

For all the Edmunds is Terrible group. I think Zo would know. 

So if he was struggling would they give up 60 points? 

I'm sorry but we can see and analyze the plays too. He is playing terribly.  Now I'm sure there are many plays we can't tell who meses up. When they lost contain we don't know if the DE crashes inside and someone else is supposed to cover outside, who screwed up? Who knows. 

But the eyes tell us Edmunds is still out of positon often and slow to diagnose plays.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

We have one of the highest paid defensive lines in the league and do not stop the run or pressure well.....

On 10/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What does that tell you?

That teams that platoon DLs, so they need eight real players, and have only used one 1st round pick and zero 2nds on DL, so they will need a lot of mid-priced FAs, will tend to have expensive DLs.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm sorry but we can see and analyze the plays too. He is playing terribly.  Now I'm sure there are many plays we can't tell who meses up. When they lost contain we don't know if the DE crashes inside and someone else is supposed to cover outside, who screwed up? Who knows. 

But the eyes tell us Edmunds is still out of positon often and slow to diagnose plays.

"So if he was struggling would they give up 60 points?" you say? Congratulations, that may be the worst argument we've seen on here all year. Great point that if we imagine something being wrong that's not wrong that it might in that imaginary world make things worse. Irrelevant and off topic, but hey, who's perfect?

And "the eyes" that tell us Edmunds is out of position ... are your eyes. And frankly, Lorenzo Alexander's eyes telling him something completely different pretty much means you're wrong here. When we have a choice between Lorenzo's eyes on Bills LB play, and yours, you're pretty much going to be wrong. Me too if I pretend I know more than Lorenzo does. But I don't.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The Titans exposed our lack of size and talent across the D front, Beane has a lot of work to do along with a top corner and better LB and secondary depth.

Fair enough, really. Losing Star really hurt. They're doing a better job replacing him than they had been earlier in the season, but yeah, they had to sell out to stop the run this week, and it loosened us up considerably against the pass.

But we will get Star back next year.That should help a lot. Wouldn't mind seeing them pick another big 'ol space eater to eventually replace Star and work his way in the platoons. IMO part of it is also that Harrison Phillips still isn't quite playing as well as he did before his injury. My guess is that we'll see him improve with time. Hope I'm right about that. The 1-tech is a major component of McDermott's scheme and right now the ones we have aren't keeping the LBs as clean as they were being kept the past couple of years.

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

For the Oliver is a Bust Crowd. 

Interesting. Thanks.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The guy that played LBer for years and in this defense as well says otherwise. 

If people are comparing Oliver to Aaron Donald then yes he sucks. Oliver's role on this defense isnt to make tackles and or sacks. His role is to take on blocks and free up LBs... He will never statistically look like a stud, but has done a great job so far this year.

17 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

If people are comparing Oliver to Aaron Donald then yes he sucks. Oliver's role on this defense isnt to make tackles and or sacks. His role is to take on blocks and free up LBs... He will never statistically look like a stud, but has done a great job so far this year.

If Beane used the 8th overall pick in the 2019 draft on a “space-eater” DT, then he’s an idiot.  I’m pretty sure Oliver was sold as a guy who would collapse the pocket and pressure the passer up the middle.  He’s done that on occasion, but don’t try to tell us he was brought on board to take on blockers. That’s nonsense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

That definitely is not his role on this defense.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

For the Oliver is a Bust Crowd. 

I think its just we so bad want him to be Aaron Donald. There were lots of those comparisons after the draft that he could be that. The reality is that no one is ever going to be that. Its Aaron Donald, a huge gap, then everyone else. Guys a freak!

On 10/13/2020 at 9:46 PM, whorlnut said:

...and this is what we get. Yeah, yeah, yeah...we are missing Tre and Milano. I get that. But Milano was a fifth rounder and Tre has been overall underwhelming this season. Either way...Edmunds looks completely terrible, Oliver is almost non-existent, and Epenesa looks completely lost. It’s beyond pathetic. There really isn’t an excuse with all the premium picks spent on making this a premium unit.

Since when are 2nd round luxury picks considered premium pick.  I guess we have a different definition.  For me a premium pick is top 10.

Star is just more important than people realise.  We need a backup for him.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That definitely is not his role on this defense.

In this defense against the run it absolutely. Against the pass yes he needs to put pressure on the qb.  Interior lineman are not known to be pass rushers