All those premium picks on defense...

whorlnut

16 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

I dont get the love for Edmunds. What exactly has he done? Consistently makes tackles 4, 5, 6 yards down the field. He has 0 TFL this year. In coverage he doesn't make plays. Last night there were at least 2 plays I could see that should have been picked if Edmunds was a good MLB. Instead both were caught for first downs... I will admit the DL didnt help as Olineman were climbing to Edmunds nearly every run play. 

My hope is the Bills let Milano walk move Edmunds to his spot ( more of a coverage in space position) and draft or pick up a solid run stopping MLB

I think they should do everything they can to keep Milano.  At this point if I had to choose between Milano and Edmunds, I would take Milano every time.  He just seems to have a knack for being around the ball and is very instinctual and athletic.  Edmunds...not sure.  He has elite/freak size but just can't put it all together.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL has allowed massive holding this year for all teams. The problem is the Bills defensive was made for new generation of quick, fast players and once you hold them they aren't even remotely elite. The same is true of the Chargers defense who are also struggling.

We basically built a defense around the older enforcement and we aren't adjusting. Adjustment needs elite talent, we spread out the talent by rotation. 

It can be argued, rightfully, we haven't properly addressed pass-rushing since McBeane's start. I think they look at WRs and the D line as an effort by committee more than stand-outs. 

For that reason we suck this year. 

40 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

The NFL has allowed massive holding this year for all teams. The problem is the Bills defensive was made for new generation of quick, fast players and once you hold them they aren't even remotely elite. The same is true of the Chargers defense who are also struggling.

We basically built a defense around the older enforcement and we aren't adjusting. Adjustment needs elite talent, we spread out the talent by rotation. 

It can be argued, rightfully, we haven't properly addressed pass-rushing since McBeane's start. I think they look at WRs and the D line as an effort by committee more than stand-outs. 

For that reason we suck this year. 

I agree with the defense aspect... not necessarily with our view of WR.  I think the trade for Diggs shows we prioritize elite talent there.  

In terms of defense, it seems like the teams having success are doing so via flooding passing lanes and through coverage.  We seem to be getting close a lot on the pass rush, but close only counts in horse grenades... and then, of course, we’re not defending anyone with WR’s and TE’s open all over the place on quick hitters.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've never been sold on Edmunds unfortunately. He was supposed to be this stud LB that would anchor the group for years to come...a Patrick Willis type if you will. 

He's above average in coverage when the rest of the DB's are healthy, but he's not consistent game to game. 

Oliver isn't the Aaron Donald type DT he was so often compared to. That much is obvious. Don't know what can be done about that at this point, but it seems the scouting department/coaching staff needs to utilize their picks better. Our drafts really haven't yielded many hits aside from Tre, and that was technically when Whaley was still in office instead of Beane right?

As long as Allen pans out, we ultimately still win in the long run. But as long as the Packers have had Aaron Rodgers, how much has their drafting throughout his tenure really helped him? We don't want that situation (tbh, I may just be forgetting some solid early round picks from them, but I just can't think of any).

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

The Bills players are professional football players. They get paid a lot of money to play football. They had their chance to opt out.

Beane botched the D-line, no other way to put it...

If you are professional, you do everything to win. That includes the owner raising holy hell about another team's coach messing up, and getting over a half month's vacation. If the Bills pulled this, they are forced into a forfeit. The pro move was to refuse the terms. If the league puts down the Bills lost, fight it all year long. They tested positive on Sunday and had a crowd in the stadium with the Bills on the road.

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Titans had a lot more starters and players out then the Bills. The players that opted in, knew this was a possibility going into the season. No matter what the circumstances a team with championship aspirations rarely play like the Bills did yesterday 

So don't play. This was the worst idea. You risk getting sick, and melt down in prime time, again.

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

I refrain from the boards after a loss due to extreme overreaction........

but Tremaine Edmunds was so bad yesterday that I’m starting to really dislike him.  If you see him on the screen, he’s likely making a mistake, overrunning the play, biting on a misdirection, hitting the wrong hole, following the FB on the goal line fake instead of Derrick Henry, being confused in coverage, getting touched an OL which effectively ends his play..... I could go on.  Definitely not a MLB yet, after 2.25 years.  

I really hate getting down on the kid...I do...But my eyes don't deceive me either...

He has to be one of the most easily blocked/manipulated ILB's in the NFL. He rarely fires the gap correctly to make plays in the backfield like Milano. He rarely stacks and makes a play at the point of attack...usually he's effectively blocked then drags down the ball carrier 7 yds past the line...if that...He's just a mess right now. They need SO much more from that position than he's capable of currently. And now I'm really concerned that NFL teams have figured him out...😎

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I really hate getting down on the kid...I do...But my eyes don't deceive me either...

He has to be one of the most easily blocked/manipulated ILB's in the NFL. He rarely fires the gap correctly to make plays in the backfield like Milano. He rarely stacks and makes a play at the point of attack...usually he's effectively blocked then drags down the ball carrier 7 yds past the line...if that...He's just a mess right now. They need SO much more from that position than he's capable of currently. And now I'm really concerned that NFL teams have figured him out...😎

Sad.  I actually bought a signed Edmunds jersey this offseason thinking he would take the next step to superstardom.  Last year, he was a MUCH better player.  Maybe it’s his shoulder?  Idk.....but it’s so frustrating and sad at the same time.  Maybe we should pay milano and let him go.  At least milano is a force to be reckoned with when he’s out there.  I pray that what we’ve seen from Edmunds this year has been a fluke and he turns things around.  🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

Sad.  I actually bought a signed Edmunds jersey this offseason thinking he would take the next step to superstardom.  Last year, he was a MUCH better player.  Maybe it’s his shoulder?  Idk.....but it’s so frustrating and sad at the same time.  Maybe we should play milano and let him go.  At least milano is a force to be reckoned with when he’s out there.  I pray that what we’ve seen from Edmunds this year has been a fluke and he turns things around.  🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 

Milano is a better football player than Edmunds...He just is...He's instinctive, and when he commits he come like like a flash of lightning...He's a disrupter...I do think the shoulder is still an issue with Tremaine. Frazier mentioned it in his presser today. Says Edmunds needs to be more physical, throw his body around more, etc, and that once he feels 100% healthy he should get back to that...We'll see...Edmunds is a better player then he's showed most of this year...My concerns with him have a lot more to do with instincts and, to be honest, I don't think MLB is where he best fits in an NFL Defense.😎

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Milano is a better football player than Edmunds...He just is...He's instinctive, and when he commits he come like like a flash of lightning...He's a disrupter...I do think the shoulder is still an issue with Tremaine. Frazier mentioned it in his presser today. Says Edmunds needs to be more physical, throw his body around more, etc, and that once he feels 100% healthy he should get back to that...We'll see...Edmunds is a better player then he's showed most of this year...My concerns with him have a lot more to do with instincts and, to be honest, I don't think MLB is where he best fits in an NFL Defense.😎

100% correct.  He’s built to be an OLB to start with and has no instincts to be the guy making snap decisions on which hole to jump, TE to run w etc.  he’s completely reactionary and it doesn’t work.  Move him outside and let him see the ball, at least there he can use his speed to pursue.  Right now he a less instinctive, lighter Paul Pozluzny, captain 6 yard gain.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:56 PM, Bangarang said:

Oliver is not and never will be a 4-3 DE.

That’s because he sucks. Fans like him and it still boggles my mind as to why. 

he has a wrestling background.  I have no clue if he's played well or not, but that seems to carry a lot of weight with McD.  All I know is it looks like the entire DL is moving backwards on plays.  

We need a great run stopper and run blocker in next years draft.  A pass rusher will be nice, but a great one is hard to find where we draft.  I'd take a look at someone from a small school.  That said, we should have drafted Maxx Crosby 2 yrs ago! 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:04 PM, bills6969 said:

I’m more disappointed in the FA signings— Addison, Jefferson, Butler.  These guys have done diddly- poo.  We have 0 pass rush.  One of these guys was supposed to replace the production of Shaw Lawson. Lol.

I think Addison has been our best player in the front 7.

I'm more concerned about guys that were already on our roster who were were planning on being major contributors like Oliver, Edmunds, and Phillips. At this point, I'm declining Edmunds 5th year option and unless the light goes on real soon for Oliver, I think next year it would be the same thing.  On top of that, Jerry Hughes and Murphy aren't getting it done at all. I'd rather give those snaps to Darryl Johnson and see if the kid can do something.

Is it coaching? Or is it the players? Ed Oliver had 5 sacks last year but now he’s a total bum? Edmunds made a Pro Bowl but now he sucks? Tre White has also looked bad too and he was once a top 2-3 corner in the NFL. That’s three big time players for us who are now marginal starters at best! I think Eric Washington has done a terrible job with that DL. Losing Bill Teerlinck has really set this defense back.. He had our guys playing great. Think it starts in the trenches and our DL has been absolutely terrible.. People are getting hurt because teams are getting 300lbs linemen and 250lbs RBs into the second and third levels of our defense.. surprised that Poyer and Hyde are still alive..

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many over reaction “our defense sucks” threads do we need?  

I imagine many more.  Our offense has sucked for like 2 decades.  The one thing this team has had for a long time (not every year) is a good to great defense.  People aren't use to the Bills allowing a scoring drive on a crapload of drives.  IMO its not really an over reaction.  The defense has barely been average.  They are terrible at stopping the run unless they sell out.  They are bad at coverage.  They are bad at rushing the passer.  What are they good at?

It's not an over reaction to say the defense is bad if the defense is indeed bad.  The defense is bad.

Last season the offense couldn't put together more than half a game.  This season the defense cant put together more than half a game.

Edited by Scott7975

On 10/13/2020 at 9:08 PM, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

We have one of the highest paid defensive lines in the league and do not stop the run or pressure well.....

Thats what happens when you throw money at something. It was like when I started playing golf, I figured I am good a just about every other sport so it has to be the clubs. Wrong!!!!!! I spend over 2,000 on new clubs and I still sucked, it wasn’t until I just paid 200$ for lessons that I started getting better.