All those premium picks on defense...

whorlnut

15 minutes ago, JPicc2114 said:

Honestly, imo Edmunds is fine. He needs some help up front. The D-line has not been good. AJ Epeneza is having a terrible rookie season, and Ed Oliver is a huge undersized DT bust. Jerry Hughes is getting old and Trent Murphy is probably under league average for DE production. They have personnel issues that Beane needs to address NOW. Otherwise, they will be lucky to beat the Patriots for the division

Jerry Hughes has been a nonfactor so far this year. 

To the folks that watch the All 22s -- what's going on with him? Is he getting double-teamed, or does he just seem to be past his prime?

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

...and this is what we get. Yeah, yeah, yeah...we are missing Tre and Milano. I get that. But Milano was a fifth rounder and Tre has been overall underwhelming this season. Either way...Edmunds looks completely terrible, Oliver is almost non-existent, and Epenesa looks completely lost. It’s beyond pathetic. There really isn’t an excuse with all the premium picks spent on making this a premium unit.

Is this a trivia?  My guess is Beatles 1965

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Jerry Hughes has been a nonfactor so far this year. 

To the folks that watch the All 22s -- what's going on with him? Is he getting double-teamed, or does he just seem to be past his prime?

Yes to both plus refs arent calling holding this year (and they never called it for Jerry anyways).

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

...and this is what we get. Yeah, yeah, yeah...we are missing Tre and Milano. I get that. But Milano was a fifth rounder and Tre has been overall underwhelming this season. Either way...Edmunds looks completely terrible, Oliver is almost non-existent, and Epenesa looks completely lost. It’s beyond pathetic. There really isn’t an excuse with all the premium picks spent on making this a premium unit.

And those were loaded drafts, with impact players available throughout the first two rounds.   We could also talk about the three third round picks that have been spent on slow running backs and a TE who specializes in back-breaking dropped passes, but I digress.  These guys have not drafted very well and it’s starting to show.

48 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Only Star was unexpected. Lorax retirement was expected and Shaq & Jordan could have been retained with the money they spent on other defensive free agents that haven’t performed 

The depleted defense vs. the Titans as opposed to last year:

MINUS: Shaq, Jordan Phillips, Lorax (all gone), and Milano, Tre, Levi (injured)

ADD: Harrison Phillips, Addison, Epenesa, Klein, Jefferson/Butler, Dodson

That explains it. It's not Leslie Frazier. It's inferior personnel. Some of it is on McBeane, but some of it is just bad luck.

Only Epenesa has the young kid/may get better excuse. My impression is that Harrison Phillips has been o.k., but he certainly seemed more effective at the start of last season before the injury. That may have to do with the guys around him too.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes to both plus refs arent calling holding this year (and they never called it for Jerry anyways).

Interesting. I hadn't thought about the "offensive holding is not an area of concern" thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Harry reminds me of Tim Anderson, pushed all over the place eventually on his back with cleats in the air and Edmunds reminds me on Posluzney, making tackles 10 yards down  field never in the hole or for minus yards. Beane has been tremendous but those are huge misses.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, mannc said:

And those were loaded drafts, with impact players available throughout the first two rounds.   We could also talk about the three third round picks that have been spent on slow running backs and a TE who specializes in back-breaking dropped passes, but I digress.  These guys have not drafted very well and it’s starting to show.

Singletary has been fine. It’s the extremely obvious run calls and run blocking that’s the issue. We run out of pretty much the same formation most of the time and it’s terrible because the players can’t block and the defender is to the TE In the backfield as Soon as the back gets the ball.

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Singletary has been fine. It’s the extremely obvious run calls and run blocking that’s the issue. We run out of pretty much the same formation most of the time and it’s terrible because the players can’t block and the defender is to the TE In the backfield as Soon as the back gets the ball.

Singletary has been OK.  He belongs in the league, but he's a change of pace back who has no business being the number 1 option.  The third round is early to take a 
RB; third round RBs need to become feature backs, not role players.  The Bills used third round picks on RBs two years in a row and still don't have a guy who they can give the ball to on third and 1.  At this point, their only option on third (or fourth) and short is Josh Allen or McKenzie.  I'll admit the jury is still out on Moss, but so far he looks slow and he's been constantly injured, just like he was in college.  

Drive 1 - Norman got beat after the INT.

Drive 2 - 3rd and 20 and Johnson somehow loses kalif raymond for the conversion.  They attack him again with brown.  Then they score.

Drive 3 - They dinked and dunked - but that DPI call was kinda bad on 3rd and 4.  Other than that they pretty much attacked norman and johnson on the boundaries again.  

Drive 4 - started at the 12 and they got a roughing the passer call so... thats a TD.

I guess i just dont get the edmunds hate.  Seems like we should give more to norman and johnson.  They stunk yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Singletary has been OK.  He belongs in the league, but he's a change of pace back who has no business being the number 1 option.  The third round is early to take a 
RB; third round RBs need to become feature backs, not role players.  The Bills used third round picks on RBs two years in a row and still don't have a guy who they can give the ball to on third and 1.  At this point, their only option on third (or fourth) and short is Josh Allen or McKenzie.  I'll admit the jury is still out on Moss, but so far he looks slow and he's been constantly injured, just like he was in college.  

In three tries, Yelden converted three third-and-shorts last night ...

Just now, dave mcbride said:

In three tries, Yelden converted three third-and-shorts last night ...

Yes, Yeldon needs to get more carries.  He's been buried on the bench for the last two years because he fumbled in a pre-season game.  But it still doesn't justify using premium picks on Singletary and Moss, guys with low NFL ceilings.  

13 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Edmunds is playing injured so I'll wait before saying that. But Oliver... yikes. 

Does his Shoulder hurting make his friggin brain stop? I was literally able to call out his misreads in real time last night.  One was particularly awful, there was a run fake towards the left, he didn’t move, Tannehill drops back to pass and Edmunds finally runs left, leaving his gap wide open for Tannehill to throw right through for a big gain.  He’s so far behind he’s almost early in abandoning his assignment.   They have to get him off the field ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

We all love Brandon  Beane who has made a lot of great moves as GM.  But when you look at the players he drafted - particularly on the defensive side of the ball, they aren’t looking so good.

The Bills preach “draft, develop, resign” and while this has worked for picks like White and Milano, the high to mid-round draft picks Beane has made are not making the difference you would expect.  I know that it takes time to develop but we’re 2 seasons in and the excuses are running out. You will notice that severa players on this list stood out last night in a defensive meltdown for the wrong reasons. 

Tremaine Edmunds - Round 1, Pick 16   2018

Yes he’s young and he has been injured this year, but his weaknesses haven’t seemed to change much since his rookie year.  Good coverage LB, but a major liability against the run.  Unfortunately he hasn’t made any strides in shedding blocks and has missed too many tackles. Not good enough for an MLB in this defense. Bills have a tough decision on his option at the end of the year. 

Harrison Phillips - Round 3, Pick 96  2018

He had shown promise last season but seems to be having a tough time coming back from ACL surgery.  Right now he’s just another guy on defense and maybe a below average DT since his return.

Tauron Johnson - Round 4, Pick 122  2018

Opposite of Edmunds - good run CB, a liability in the pass game.  He has been a major weakness this year and maybe THE biggest weakness. 

Ed Oliver - Round 1, Pick 8 2019

Oliver has shown flashes at times but seems to be invisible for long stretches.  So far he hasn’t been been as effective as fellow 2019 DL’s like Quinnen  Williams or Jeffrey Simmons have been.   Out of all the picks on the list, I feel he has the most upside.  Still you’d like to see him do more in year 2.

AJ Epinesa - Round 2, Pick 54

Very very early to make a call on this pick, but so far  there hasn’t been anything that stands out.  Also the Offside penalty was a killer.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think the offensive picks have been pretty good.  But it seems like a lot of the struggles can be attributed to the lack of development of draft picks who are called upon for big roles. 

If you think Quinnen Williams have played better than Ed Oliver since they have been drafted then you don't watch the Jets play. Most Jets fan already consider Williams a bust.

I've always been more of a 350+ lb DT type of guy...

Sam Adams and Ted Washington lined up next to each other was amazing. That's my dream come true for a DL!

A smaller DT who doesn't lift cars off the ground as his warmup like Aaron Donald does is a liability. I really miss Phillips and Star... Star would occupy 2 OL and others were free to wreak havok. 

• Like (+1) 2

I dont get the love for Edmunds. What exactly has he done? Consistently makes tackles 4, 5, 6 yards down the field. He has 0 TFL this year. In coverage he doesn't make plays. Last night there were at least 2 plays I could see that should have been picked if Edmunds was a good MLB. Instead both were caught for first downs... I will admit the DL didnt help as Olineman were climbing to Edmunds nearly every run play. 

My hope is the Bills let Milano walk move Edmunds to his spot ( more of a coverage in space position) and draft or pick up a solid run stopping MLB

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

For sure.  This D stinks.  And if the O has a bad outing (like tonight) we are toast.  Even when we have been at full strength we let teams hang around.  Going to be a long season.

I said a few weeks ago that our O would hiccup once or twice this year and the D would have to win the game.  The O hiccupped last night.  Both sides contribute and compliment each other.  I continue to feel very good about our O.  They've proven themselves this season.  The D has not yet proven themselves to me.  it appears that our chances of winning relies much, much more on our offense this year.  I have little faith in our D contributing much more than they have to date.