All those premium picks on defense...

whorlnut

12 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I’m more disappointed in the FA signings— Addison, Jefferson, Butler.  These guys have done diddly- poo.  We have 0 pass rush.  One of these guys was supposed to replace the production of Shaw Lawson. Lol.

I like Addison alright. Agree about the others

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I hated the Carolina connection signings outside of Butler and Williams.... I didn’t realize Klein played for Carolina too. What an awful signing. Norman is half the player he used to be and Addison is showing the same signs as he did last year. 

It’s a bit of lazy FA scouting. 

I'll give Beane credit on the Williams signing.

And I give a pass to Norman. No one expected him to be our #1 CB, and he looked like he could be a decent #2. I'll still hold out hope for him.

But yeah, time to expand the horizons.

Titans had over two weeks to prepare. The Bills were the road team with 5 starters not playing because they did not want to get sick. Titan's facilities were closed down due to a biohazard on Sunday, and the Bills didn't know if they were going to play the game.

Crooked from the start. This game shouldn't have been played. How do you allow crowds at the stadium when it was just closed down? That officiating was awful.

I hope the Bills don't get sick. They bailed out the league only to get steamrolled. If the Bills get sick, I bet the league won't be as kind to them as they were to Typhoid Tennessee. They should have not played, and contested the forfeit forever.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Frazier may get fired if this keeps up a few more games 

That wouldn't be very smart.  Frazier's defenses have kept this team competitive the past couple of seasons.  He hasn't forgotten how to coach.  It's the personnel that's the problem.

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That's the big difference.

Plus: no Star, no Lorax, no Shaq, no Jordan Phillips. It shows.

Only Star was unexpected. Lorax retirement was expected and Shaq & Jordan could have been retained with the money they spent on other defensive free agents that haven’t performed 

5 minutes ago, beavis said:

Titans had over two weeks to prepare. The Bills were the road team with 5 starters not playing because they did not want to get sick. Titan's facilities were closed down due to a biohazard on Sunday, and the Bills didn't know if they were going to play the game.

Crooked from the start. This game shouldn't have been played. How do you allow crowds at the stadium when it was just closed down? That officiating was awful.

I hope the Bills don't get sick. They bailed out the league only to get steamrolled. If the Bills get sick, I bet the league won't be as kind to them as they were to Typhoid Tennessee. They should have not played, and contested the forfeit forever.

Titans had a lot more starters and players out then the Bills. The players that opted in, knew this was a possibility going into the season. No matter what the circumstances a team with championship aspirations rarely play like the Bills did yesterday 

12 hours ago, Process said:

Oliver and edmunds are huge busts. 

Edmunds is an atrocious football player and hopefully this is the last year he starts for the bills. 

Oliver is probably fine as a starter when surrounded by good players on the line but considering where he was drafted, he's a bust. 

We need 4 new starters in the front 7. 

I don’t no why all the sad face this is true. This is Edmunds 3 year and he looks lost dude is a bust. I don’t even think moving him would help he NEVER makes a TFL or a game changing play. Hell his 8 out of 10 not even in the right place 

12 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

and Edmunds is just not good. I’d let him walk and not pick up the option. Need a Luke Kuechly type, Edmunds does not have the body type nor aggressiveness to play the position in the nfl . 

Well that because McDermott isn't utilizing his strengths.  Edmunds speed, range and athleticism is being wasted at middle.  It has been discussed ad nauseam on here.  It was true then and it's true now.

19 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

We all love Brandon  Beane who has made a lot of great moves as GM.  But when you look at the players he drafted - particularly on the defensive side of the ball, they aren’t looking so good.

The Bills preach “draft, develop, resign” and while this has worked for picks like White and Milano, the high to mid-round draft picks Beane has made are not making the difference you would expect.  I know that it takes time to develop but we’re 2 seasons in and the excuses are running out. You will notice that severa players on this list stood out last night in a defensive meltdown for the wrong reasons. 

Tremaine Edmunds - Round 1, Pick 16   2018

Yes he’s young and he has been injured this year, but his weaknesses haven’t seemed to change much since his rookie year.  Good coverage LB, but a major liability against the run.  Unfortunately he hasn’t made any strides in shedding blocks and has missed too many tackles. Not good enough for an MLB in this defense. Bills have a tough decision on his option at the end of the year. 

Harrison Phillips - Round 3, Pick 96  2018

He had shown promise last season but seems to be having a tough time coming back from ACL surgery.  Right now he’s just another guy on defense and maybe a below average DT since his return.

Tauron Johnson - Round 4, Pick 122  2018

Opposite of Edmunds - good run CB, a liability in the pass game.  He has been a major weakness this year and maybe THE biggest weakness. 

Ed Oliver - Round 1, Pick 8 2019

Oliver has shown flashes at times but seems to be invisible for long stretches.  So far he hasn’t been been as effective as fellow 2019 DL’s like Quinnen  Williams or Jeffrey Simmons have been.   Out of all the picks on the list, I feel he has the most upside.  Still you’d like to see him do more in year 2.

AJ Epinesa - Round 2, Pick 54

Very very early to make a call on this pick, but so far  there hasn’t been anything that stands out.  Also the Offside penalty was a killer.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think the offensive picks have been pretty good.  But it seems like a lot of the struggles can be attributed to the lack of development of draft picks who are called upon for big roles. 

You sure about Harrison Phillips? Seems like he has been a big part of the much improved run D the past 2 weeks. Jacobs averaged 3.2 YOC and Henry 3.0 YPC. Neither got to 60 yards.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You sure about Harrison Phillips? Seems like he has been a big part of the much improved run D the past 2 weeks. Jacobs averaged 3.2 YOC and Henry 3.0 YPC. Neither got to 60 yards.

Agree. Aside from not setting the edge at all last night, the run defense has been cleaned up since the Rams ran wild. It’s the lack of pass rush and poor pass defense that’s killing us. Teams pass at will on us.

Edmunds has been a major liability for us thus far. Can’t shed blocks in the run game (probably not helped by his shoulder) and doesn’t appear to be in position with his length to effect the middle of the field in the pass game like he has the past few years. Seems like he’s always mixed up in the wash and slow to react. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He helped at times for sure but I saw him getting pushed backward last night. 

1 minute ago, TheProcess said:

Agree. Aside from not setting the edge at all last night, the run defense has been cleaned up since the Rams ran wild. It’s the lack of pass rush and poor pass defense that’s killing us. Teams pass at will on us.

Edmunds has been a major liability for us thus far. Can’t shed blocks in the run game (probably not helped by his shoulder) and doesn’t appear to be in position with his length to effect the middle of the field in the pass game like he has the past few years. Seems like he’s always mixed up in the wash and slow to react. 

It’s the middle of the field that remains open.  Edmunds is a huge reason why as is Tauron Johnson.  The problem is that the Bills were counting on both this year so the depth at MLB and CB is poor.  

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I strongly disagree with that.

Like I said, Oliver has flashed at times - last week’s 4th down stop comes to mind.  But I think in 20+ games we have yet to see him really disrupt an entire offense the way other high draft picks have.

Honestly, imo Edmunds is fine. He needs some help up front. The D-line has not been good. AJ Epeneza is having a terrible rookie season, and Ed Oliver is a huge undersized DT bust. Jerry Hughes is getting old and Trent Murphy is probably under league average for DE production. They have personnel issues that Beane needs to address NOW. Otherwise, they will be lucky to beat the Patriots for the division

Edited by JPicc2114
  • Haha (+1) 1