Jets trying to trade Bell - per Daily News

Greg S

41 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think they hold on to Darnold at least until they know they will have #1 pick and are set on taking Lawrence. After the season I could see the Bucs, Saints, Steelers, and Colts as teams who will or could show interest in Darnold given the age of their starting QB's

Agree, can't see them getting much of anything in return for a mid-season QB trade, they'd do better at year end.

Bucs certainly would make sense as Bradys heir but you still have this issue of the contract, by the end of 2021 his contract will be up unless you pick up the option and that still only gives you one more year so if you don't plan to play him regularly in the next two seasons, he likely becomes a big unknown.  Saints and Steelers would think a better option could by Ryan as they are ready to win now and have a smaller window left.  Think Rivers is older than Ryan??

46 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Look at the Texans with Romeo Crennel this past Sunday.

In all fairness, I believe that Texans game had less to do with the coach being fired and more to do with the fact that Minschew is not remotely close to the QB people make him out to be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Let me start with I'm not for trading anything to the Jets for Bell!

However, let's say hypothetically the Jets would take a conditional 6th or 7th round pick for him.

The Bills could add him or the season at the cost of $5.84 million and leave the Jets with a dead cap hit of around $12 million.  The way his contract is structured Buffalo could then trade him or release him in the offseason with next to no cap hit.   

Again I'm not advocating for this but if it happened not only could the Bill screw the Jets but they could get a solid second back who would want nothing more than to stick it to Gase.

Jets would have to eat his contract a lot more than that, especially how horrible and useless he’s been since being a jet. I say no more than a 7th and the Jets eat majority of his guaranteed money on his contract. 

24 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, can't see them getting much of anything in return for a mid-season QB trade, they'd do better at year end.

Bucs certainly would make sense as Bradys heir but you still have this issue of the contract, by the end of 2021 his contract will be up unless you pick up the option and that still only gives you one more year so if you don't plan to play him regularly in the next two seasons, he likely becomes a big unknown.  Saints and Steelers would think a better option could by Ryan as they are ready to win now and have a smaller window left.  Think Rivers is older than Ryan??

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I think they hold on to Darnold at least until they know they will have #1 pick and are set on taking Lawrence. After the season I could see the Bucs, Saints, Steelers, and Colts as teams who will or could show interest in Darnold given the age of their starting QB's

Didn't the Bucs just get Josh Rosen?  Seems to me like they may not be all that interested in another 1st round QB from 2018.

14 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

In all fairness, I believe that Texans game had less to do with the coach being fired and more to do with the fact that Minschew is not remotely close to the QB people make him out to be.

That and their kicker actively boned them when the game was close which then caused them not to kick any more FGs all day.

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

His trade value has to be shot at this juncture. The worse part is that even if they can get something for him, they still have Gase. I genuinely don't understand how the owners don't see him for the virus that he is. 

Gase is still there for one reason: It gives the Jets the best chance at drafting Lawrence. Any other coach might eke out 2-3 wins, forcing the Jets to stick with hang dog Darnold.

At this point I imagine the Jets want to get as much draft capital as possible to attract a new HC next year. Unfortunately for them, they're selling low.

6 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Didn't the Bucs just get Josh Rosen?  Seems to me like they may not be all that interested in another 1st round QB from 2018.

Rosen is on their practice squad.  Either party can end it in a second.   Darnold has a much better shot of being a decent NFL QB than Rosen.  The league has basically voted Rosen off the island after seeing him play.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Gase is still there for one reason: It gives the Jets the best chance at drafting Lawrence. Any other coach might eke out 2-3 wins, forcing the Jets to stick with hang dog Darnold.

I just realized who Darnold reminds me of, Jake Delhomme. The way they move around in the pocket, the throwing motion, all of it. The only difference at this point is Darnold doesn't have a Steve Smith. I still think Darnold can have a decent career if he lands in the right situation. A place with a solid OL, solid coaching, and decent weapons around him. For his sake I hope the Jets do trade him. 

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

I just realized who Darnold reminds me of, Jake Delhomme. The way they move around in the pocket, the throwing motion, all of it. The only difference at this point is Darnold doesn't have a Steve Smith. I still think Darnold can have a decent career if he lands in the right situation. A place with a solid OL, solid coaching, and decent weapons around him. For his sake I hope the Jets do trade him. 

I wouldn’t say Delhomme, I actually compared Darnold to Jake Plummer, showed that he had it at times but makes too many dumb decisions and can’t read defenses consistently.

24 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That and their kicker actively boned them when the game was close which then caused them not to kick any more FGs all day.

Good point. And for the record, I took no joy in watching Hauschka struggle. 

22 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I think the Falcons will give the Jets a run for their money.

I remember when they backed up the Brinks truck for him and then he would not show up to their voluntary training camp... sure its voluntary, but they just paid you a ton of money and that was a good chance to get to know your teammates. I don't think he is a McBeane "Process" guy. 

“When it’s time to play football…” Bell wrote on Instagram. “I got to stick to the formula that I know works for me to be the best player I can be…I’m not just tryna win football games, I want a ring. I want to desperately show everybody what I can REALLY do…I’ll take the heat right now, everybody will forget about that once January comes around.”

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/12/leveon-bell-likes-tweets-saying-jets-should-trade-him/

38 minutes ago, wjag said:

Send him to Florida where all aging people and players go.  Hey Tampa, we got another one for you. 

Funny thing - when I have the misfortune to see the Jets play I always see Bell as a young back.

Can't help it when the alternative to him is Frank Gore - Bell may be approaching being NFL senior citizen - but Frank Gore is on life support as an NFL player.