Arthur Blank is not committing to Matt Ryan moving forward

41 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Ryan is 35, if you had the chance to get Lawrence, why wouldn't you.   On the other hand with Ryan at QB, the team could play too well to get the #1 overall.  Best they could do would be bench Ryan  so they lose more, but that would be a tough move to make.  Could try and trade him at the deadline, but likely they'd get a much better offer in the off season if they wait.

Age only factors in because Ryan is Ryan and not Tom Brady. Ryan can go no further than he has as a QB.

11 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Age only factors in because Ryan is Ryan and not Tom Brady. Ryan can go no further than he has as a QB.

Can't get any better??  Agree

Can't play a few more years at current level   Disagree

He's looked good, could see him playing a few more years and looking good at it.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Falcons, Giants and Jets will all take Trevor Lawrence at 1.  I wish we had the Jets final game of the year again, with the option to hand them a cheap W. 

I can see putting Barkley in with instructions to throw a pick six on every play. Why not?  🤷‍♂️

Could be the funniest thing EVER in the NFL!           :)

I hope the Jet’s DB’s would have too much pride to just knock it down. Goodell may have to earn that mountain of cash every year! 

I agree Ryan is spent. But you can argue he’s never been all that great. Guy has ran what seems like 10 different offensive playbooks as much as they’ve switch coordinators. He’s been good in 1-2 of those systems. They can win now (meaning next year) I think they still have a tiny window with Ryan Julio and Ridley and even Gurley looking back to form a little. 
If the new regime can coach defense and groom a quarterback they’re not in nearly as bad of shape as some of these other teams. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

he just fired them all.

And then he and McKay will hire new ones and they’ll make the decision on ryan

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

He's that good?

Don't get me wrong, he is a talented QB, I just don't know if he's a prototype.

I think he’s the prototype as well.  Not sure I’ve seen a prospect that had it all like him as a freshman. Last year was a disappointment but I still see his “it” factor.

33 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He grew up like an hour from Atlanta too.

I’ve been around my peeps at the park, in stores, texting and calling all day. Not a single mention of the Falcons changes. If this was UGA or Tech, I think it would have come up at least a few times. 

I’m sure you have had more conversations with more people. Has the Falcons changes come up much? 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’ve been around my peeps at the park, in stores, texting and calling all day. Not a single mention of the Falcons changes. If this was UGA or Tech, I think it would have come up at least a few times. 

I’m sure you have had more conversations with more people. Has the Falcons changes come up much? 

I don’t even know of there are Falcon fans in Atlanta.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t even know of there are Falcon fans in Atlanta.

If that happens in Buffalo, people wouldn’t talk about the building across the street that was burning down. “Did you hear? Who do we get?” They would be shouting over the sounds of the sirens. 

CRAZY how different things are from city to city.  

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

We may see a level of tanking that is unmistakable in December. Lawrence is a generational can’t miss number one like an Elway or Luck. 

Ehhh he is definently talented but so far in his career he has been a huge disappointment. He has been really good dont get me wrong but he is not what everyone expected. 

8 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Ehhh he is definently talented but so far in his career he has been a huge disappointment. He has been really good dont get me wrong but he is not what everyone expected. 

Disappointment how? Kid beat arguably the best squad Saban has had at Alabama as a true freshman earning MVP as well. Then another championship game his sophomore year, albeit a loss.

29-1 record, 76 passing touchdowns to 12 ints, throw in another 14 rushing... sounds like a huge disappointment...

Wouldn’t you kill for any Syracuse QB to have these stats? 😂😂

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're right.  I didn't realize he still had that many years left on his contract and I don't see them trading away that contract.  That will be a problem for whoever the next regime is.

Hey no sympathy, they had their window of SB readiness , got there and were crushing the Pats in the SB, then blew it.  So they had their shot.  Its over now.,  time to rebulid again.  

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I was looking at his contract yesterday...

2 years left as not sure they will be able to trade him..

Also, the Falcons aren’t as bad as the Jets.. .so they May need to be looking at someone else..

This is true. The dead cap would be enormous if they get rid of him before 2023 without some kind of restructure. I had said I thought he would end up in SF, but that was before looking at this contract. I don't see any way financially they could move him unless there is some kind of massive restructure involved to lessen the hit. The Falcons are another team that has handed out some really questionable contracts at times over recent years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lawrence grew up less than an hour outside of Atlanta, from a marketing standpoint for the team it would be a bonanza to draft him.

As others have mentioned, it seems financially impossible to move Ryan.  But I would have to believe both Dallas and Washington and maybe San Fran and Chicago would be interested.  Personally I think Ryan is just about washed.

I think the comment blew up a bit more than needed. An owner saying he isn’t in charge of personnel decisions isn’t all that noteworthy. 

I’d be surprised if they ditch him this year unless they have the #1 pick which I dont think they will.