Game Plan vs. Titans: Stopping Derrick Henry

Most RBs fit a physical profile - small 5-9 to 5-11 and tip the scales at a muscular 215 lbs. But Derrick Henry does not fit that mould - he is a legit 6-3 and about 250 lbs. That size doesnt make him slow however. I read somewhere that he gets to 21 mph (typically an elite RB speed) by the time he gets to his 4th step. And each step of his covers 7.5 ft (2,5 yeards) - which means he covers 10 yards in 4 steps. Derrick Henry in modern football is what Usain Bolt is to track - a physical anomaly.

The guy had 370+ yards in consecutive games during the 2019-20 playoffs, something no one else had done. And he likes contact - it is what sets him off. Oh and did I forget to mention that he has the endurance of an Alaskan Husky. At Alabama, he would get his most carries in the 4th quarter since he was never gassed. Even in the NFL, he is the back with the best third and fourth quarter stats. Quite simply, HE IS the engine that drives the Titans.

Fortunately, unlike track, football is a team sport and good teams have  managed to stop the Titans by stopping Henry. But, without Lotuleilei, it will not be easy. Also, the conditioning of our defenders the first few games has been suspect. They were so gassed against the Rams in the second half. Our run defense has been gashed a lot this season though the second half against Jacobs (oh he is a typical 5-10 220 lb back) and the Raiders was sublime. I rewatched the Chiefs limit Henry to 69 yards in the Conference Championship game and here are some lessons from that.

1. We may have to play the traditional 4-3-4 instead of our preferred 4-2-5. No way Taron Johnson can handle a guy Henry's size.

2. Frazier's first pet phrase: Gap Integrity - you have to stay disciplined - cant bite on fakes and leave your running lane open. While one defender can rarely take down Henry,  you slow him down till the help gets there

3. Frazier's second pet phrase: Tackling - The Chiefs made a conscious attempt to tackle him low below the waist. You cant just bring Henry down by wrapping the arms around his upper torso since he is big and strong and his legs keep on churning. 

4. Dont worry about giving up  a few big pass plays - With Humphries and Davis out even those will be few. But trust the secondary to do their job. After all, this is Tannehill throwing the ball.

5.Last, but not the least, the best defense is a potent offense - run up the score early so that the Titans are forced to go to the air in the second half when Henry is at his strongest. The Chiefs limited Henry to maybe 5 touches and 7 yards in the second half since the Titans had to play catchup.

Here is my prediction: Henry gets 150+ yards, we lose. He gets less than 100 yards, we win. Somewhere in the middle, we got ourselves a game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Most RBs fit a physical profile - small 5-9 to 5-11 and tip the scales at a muscular 215 lbs. But Derrick Henry does not fit that mould - he is a legit 6-3 and about 250 lbs. That size doesnt make him slow however. I read somewhere that he gets to 21 mph (typically an elite RB speed) by the time he gets to his 4th step. And each step of his covers 7.5 ft (2,5 yeards) - which means he covers 10 yards in 4 steps. Derrick Henry in modern football is what Usain Bolt is to track - a physical anomaly.

The guy had 370+ yards in consecutive games during the 2019-20 playoffs, something no one else had done. And he likes contact - it is what sets him off. Oh and did I forget to mention that he has the endurance of an Alaskan Husky. At Alabama, he would get his most carries in the 4th quarter since he was never gassed. Even in the NFL, he is the back with the best third and fourth quarter stats. Quite simply, HE IS the engine that drives the Titans.

Fortunately, unlike track, football is a team sport and good teams have  managed to stop the Titans by stopping Henry. But, without Lotuleilei, it will not be easy. Also, the conditioning of our defenders the first few games has been suspect. They were so gassed against the Rams in the second half. Our run defense has been gashed a lot this season though the second half against Jacobs (oh he is a typical 5-10 220 lb back) and the Raiders was sublime. I rewatched the Chiefs limit Henry to 69 yards in the Conference Championship game and here are some lessons from that.

1. We may have to play the traditional 4-3-4 instead of our preferred 4-2-5. No way Taron Johnson can handle a guy Henry's size.

2. Frazier's first pet phrase: Gap Integrity - you have to stay disciplined - cant bite on fakes and leave your running lane open. While one defender can rarely take down Henry,  you slow him down till the help gets there

3. Frazier's second pet phrase: Tackling - The Chiefs made a conscious attempt to tackle him low below the waist. You cant just bring Henry down by wrapping the arms around his upper torso since he is big and strong and his legs keep on churning. 

4. Dont worry about giving up  a few big pass plays - With Humphries and Davis out even those will be few. But trust the secondary to do their job. After all, this is Tannehill throwing the ball.

5.Last, but not the least, the best defense is a potent offense - run up the score early so that the Titans are forced to go to the air in the second half when Henry is at his strongest. The Chiefs limited Henry to maybe 5 touches and 7 yards in the second half since the Titans had to play catchup.

Here is my prediction: Henry gets 150+ yards, we lose. He gets less than 100 yards, we win. Somewhere in the middle, we got ourselves a game.

My prediction is we score more points we win.  We score less points we lose.  Regardless of how many yards he rushes for.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is one of those games where we have to come out early and score. Make Tannehill be the one to beat us and make him do it through the air. I fully expect them to run it early and use play action just like the Rams did. If we can stop the initial onslaught of Henry, the game turns in our favor. If he starts off gashing us early, it's going to be a long game. Plenty of play action, plenty of chances to shut him down early and control the game. 

I just hope they come out playing man to man so we can unleash 'Allen to Diggs' and make them change up how they want to defend us. 

Edited by Captain_Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

Awful Bills have to play this game. Anyone think no one is going to get sick? Yet no one tests positive.

And anyone think some other team, like LA, or Seattle, or NE or KC or Pitt will get a win, a week off, a bye, and their conference opponent forfeiting for the first time in NFL history? It will probably be against us, because the league forced the Bills to play against Tannenhill's airborne infection.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Reminder: tackling by pulling hair is LEGAL.

Jadeveon Clowney tackled Chris Ivory by the hair, which is legal -  ProFootballTalk

derrick henry titans | Tennessee titans, Titans football, Titans

With our luck, we'll get called for a bogus horse collar tackle.  But seriously, what the hell is that thing?  It looks like a dried rhino turd electrical taped to the back of his head.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

With our luck, we'll get called for a bogus horse collar tackle.  But seriously, what the hell is that thing?  It looks like a dried rhino turd electrical taped to the back of his head.

Just curious as to how you're familiar with the appearance of rhino turds?

If I were a player with long hair, I would for reals grease it.  Anyone know if that's legal?

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Reminder: tackling by pulling hair is LEGAL.

derrick henry titans | Tennessee titans, Titans football, Titans

That's hair? I thought being Tennesee he was just paying tribute to Davey Crockett.

latest?cb=20180411235813&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just curious as to how you're familiar with the appearance of rhino turds?

If I were a player with long hair, I would for reals grease it.  Anyone know if that's legal?

Initial instinct was to say elephant turd, but I've seen those at African Lion Safari in Southern Ontario.  Rhino was just my best guess, but on second thought it is probably similar to elephant.  

I would wager it is probably legal to grease your hair, but would probably be impossible to wash out of a knotted mess like his.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Early lead keeps QB not RB in play. They have lead more apt to run. Score often and early wins game. 

27 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

This is one of those games where we have to come out early and score. Make Tannehill be the one to beat us and make him do it through the air.

Yup. That is point #5 above. The more Allen & co. run up the score the less we will see of Henry.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I think it’s a mask for his ponytail.  He doesn’t want it to catch the ‘vid.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Henry has gotten 116, 84, and 119 rush yards respectively in the Titans 3 wins.

That's against the #8, #25, and #28 rushing defenses.

Bills, believe it or don't, are #4 currently. 

To give up anything close to 150 yds, 42% more than Henry's 106 ypg average, would be a massive failure by our defense and with an average of 106 ypg, the Titans do have 3 wins.

The Titans trail the league in passing yardage, with Davis as their #1 receiver so far and their TE Smith as #2.  Davis and Humphries are currently on the covid-19 reserve list.  If they get AJ Brown back, that would presumably fill that gap at WR.  But they still have Smith at TE regardless.

With both Edmunds and Milano out, the Bills showed susceptibility to play-action passes over the middle of the field, with TE Gesiki racking up 130 yds.  IMHO that's the real weak point the Titans will plan to test with Milano out and Edmunds apparently still hampered.  If Dodson replaces Milano (and that seems to be the idea given he came in for Matt), Edmunds needs to have a gap-sound game against the run.  I hope he's power-watching tape.

Joe B has a pretty good analysis in the Athletic, though that faithless hound is picking the Titans to win.  I hope the Bills find it motivational that even our local sports writers are picking against them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Henry has gotten 116, 84, and 119 rush yards respectively in the Titans 3 wins.

That's against the #8, #25, and #28 rushing defenses.

Bills, believe it or don't, are #4 currently. 

To give up anything close to 150 yds, 42% more than Henry's 106 ypg average, would be a massive failure by our defense.

The Titans trail the league in passing yardage, with Davis as their #1 receiver so far and their TE Smith as #2.  Davis and Humphries are currently on the covid-19 reserve list.

If they get AJ Brown back, that would presumably fill that gap.  But they still have smith

With both Edmunds and Milano out, the Bills showed susceptibility to play-action passes over the middle of the field, with TE Gesiki racking up 130 yds.  IMHO that's the real weak point the Titans will plan to test with Milano out and Edmunds apparently still hampered.  If Dodson replaces Milano (and that seems to be the idea given he came in for Matt), Edmunds needs to have a gap-sound game against the run.  I hope he's power-watching tape.

Joe B has a pretty good analysis in the Athletic, though that faithless hound is picking the Titans to win.  I hope the Bills find it motivational that even our local sports writers are picking against them.

Yeah, but he can slap 2 big runs in there and hit 200+ easily. What we don’t want is a grinding, hammer us for 5ypc, 30x, they will bury us then.