High ranking NFL official admits some teams may not play 16 games this year...

Big Turk

39 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know what...If Buffalo plays only the first Tuesday game in forever at 7 pm and then a Monday "afternoon" game at 5 pm and then some jack*** in the media afterwards says, "look, the Bills can't draw a "big" audience.", I am going to go to their house and start tapping them repeatedly on the head with a ball peen hammer because they are a moron, if I may paraphrase "Tommy Boy".

I doubt any serious person would say that. Our game last week against the Raiders (about 70-75% of the country) did very well, only down 6% vs last year (mostly Vikings & big market Bears) despite its early slate being down 32%. Allen & Diggs are stars and will draw eyeballs.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/nfl-week-4-viewership-fox-unaffected-by-scheduling-chaos-gets-another-increase-while-primetime-packages-decrease.html

Edited by 416BillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand, but my point is: players including QBs get hurt or become ill and the team has to play without them every season, to their detriment.

Giants did not get a P*ts pass like Darold did last year when he kissed a fan and got mono. Why?

I’m officially done kvetching about “fairness” or schedule changes.

The season is being played during a pandemic. There are 210,000 dead and millions out of work. The fact that we have a season AT ALL is somewhat of a miracle.

We’ve seen enough game action this year to know that Josh Allen is a franchise QB and our team should be very good for years to come. Everything else from here on out is a bonus in this wonky season, as far as I’m concerned.

Far too much going on in the world to spend much time pearl-clutching over how many football games I get to see or what day of the week they get played on.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Assuming there is a Super Bowl, how will history judge this year’s winner? Do you guys think the victory will be watered down? It’ll definitely have an asterisk next to it forever, but is any of the legitimacy diminished? 

Winning is winning. This year is much more complicated that normal years. Whoever takes the prize this year earned it unless it's the Patriots. We all know they just plain cheat 😂

42 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What if you are dealt 2 easy games that get taken away from you while another team is dealt 2 hard games that get taken away from them?  

it’s no different. The schedule isn’t designed to be equal for all. 

could it be disappointing? Sure. But so is losing a game you didn’t put away on a questionable call, or losing the tie break in a normal season with a tough schedule. 

it is what it is. You play the games dealt to you.

40 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It almost always leads to an anonymous source or person(s) speaking with anonymity. 
In today’s journalism you can just write your own opinion to gain clicks and put it on an anonymous source. Or leak it to Twitter or make a meme and it’s automatically taken as fact 

At least it's directly tied to an anonymous source. The worst IMO is when one member of the media quotes another member of the media as a source, and you trace it back and maybe the "source" is a third guy speculating or an anonymous tweet.  So irresponsible!

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s no different. The schedule isn’t designed to be equal for all. 
could it be disappointing? Sure. But so is losing a game you didn’t put away on a questionable call, or losing the tie break in a normal season with a tough schedule. 
it is what it is. You play the games dealt to you.

Even where the strength of schedule is theoretically supposed to be approximately equal...we all know that never works because that's all based on last year's performance.  As they say about the stock market, past performance does not predict future results

I though this might be that bad teams just have their season end by Thanksgiving. No sense endangering other teams for playing teams going nowhere. How many winless teams now in week 5? Kind like the nhl did. We’ll still get more games in than the ‘82 strike shortened season.

But I was wrong..

NFL owners would have to agree to a new formula for playoffs AND the broadcasting partners would have to agree.

I could see the broadcasting partners agreeing if the playoffs were made some sort of double elimination giving them more and better games but some owners would not get game shared revenue payments (Titans do not deserve them) and would not sign on.

This situation has such an easy solution.

Right now the league needs to put a bye week in at week 12 where there isn't one currently.  All games that need to be rescheduled can be played then.  Another bye week added in at week 15 would solve all other issues.  Any game without playoff implications from weeks 16, 17, 18, and 19 will not be made up if needed to be cancelled or postponed.  An additional week tacked on the end of the season should be a last resort as rest right before a playoff game for some and not others would be unfair but used if necessary.

The league needs to stop acting like it can't just add weeks in.  Any games that are played will get spotlight and attention.  Additional weeks of revenue will offset any losses incurred from extra bye weeks.  They are robbing Peter to pay Paul and it is only week 5.  No way they make it through without adding extra weeks imo.

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I though this might be that bad teams just have their season end by Thanksgiving. No sense endangering other teams for playing teams going nowhere. How many winless teams now in week 5? Kind like the nhl did. We’ll still get more games in than the ‘82 strike shortened season.

But I was wrong..

I was hoping for something similar. NBA didn’t even invite some teams for the bubble. They should of thought outside the box on this one. Maybe a one time draft lottery instead of record to discourage tanking. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At least it's directly tied to an anonymous source. The worst IMO is when one member of the media quotes another member of the media as a source, and you trace it back and maybe the "source" is a third guy speculating or an anonymous tweet.  So irresponsible!

Even where the strength of schedule is theoretically supposed to be approximately equal...we all know that never works because that's all based on last year's performance.  As they say about the stock market, past performance does not predict future results

and I didn’t even mention injuries - mahomes didn’t play every game last year. No tears shed for the teams that had to play the chiefs full strength 

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I mean I don't know...how is it wildcard teams win the Super Bowl then? You don't think some of those teams got in by beating bottom feeders? Or figured things out after starting the season poorly and got on a roll like the Titans did last year?  The chances are actually pretty high due to the much smaller sample size of games played.  NHL and NBA play 82 games, baseball 162, NFL 16.  Lot less room for error and a lot more sample size issues than the other leagues in terms of who does and doesn't make the playoffs, especially since teams don't play every other team like in the other leagues. Key injuries to players in the NFL that keep them out of 3 or 4 games hurt far more than other leagues.

Honestly the chances are actually pretty high.

I agree on any given Sunday, any given team can win.  I feel with 7 teams in the mix, it’s already essentially half the Conference in the mix.  If you really need more wins to break the top 7, sorry, not feeling for you.  I agree it could suck if you have 4 bad teams left on the schedule and have played the best teams on the schedule, vs somebody that has the opposite fortune and then bam the season is shorted. It will be what it will be for this year. 

6 hours ago, section122 said:

This situation has such an easy solution.

Right now the league needs to put a bye week in at week 12 where there isn't one currently.  All games that need to be rescheduled can be played then.  Another bye week added in at week 15 would solve all other issues.  Any game without playoff implications from weeks 16, 17, 18, and 19 will not be made up if needed to be cancelled or postponed.  An additional week tacked on the end of the season should be a last resort as rest right before a playoff game for some and not others would be unfair but used if necessary.

The league needs to stop acting like it can't just add weeks in.  Any games that are played will get spotlight and attention.  Additional weeks of revenue will offset any losses incurred from extra bye weeks.  They are robbing Peter to pay Paul and it is only week 5.  No way they make it through without adding extra weeks imo.

The league does not want to move the Superbowl out of sweeps month. The playoffs and Superbowl usually have highest ratings and help determine ad cost rate

Last football season it was January 30 – February 26, 2020.

When they built the schedule they could have had weeks of AFC-NFC competition they could have more easily cancelled playing just makeup games.

The problem was the NFL did not want to give up games and they could not move it prior to Labor Day for teams already did not have much practice time already and NFLPA kept stalling start.

9 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

The commissioner is earning that money for sure. I see them using win % over win/loss to determine playoffs. Its not ideal but they are doing their best and we have football. On another note the salary cap will be lower next year. What good teams will be impacted the most?

The teams that spent over 60 mil. on a zone CB or 400 on a QB will undoubtably be in the most trouble 

• Like (+1) 1

It's clear that the league is trying hard to get all games in, but it's impossible to guarantee it.  The league also doesn't seem to have any love for the notion of adding weeks on the the end of the regular season, but when push comes to shove, something is going to have to give.

23 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It is in the middle of this timeline article...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rescheduling-games-devastating-injuries-firing-123409860.html

I mean that kind of sucks if you have a team like the Jets on your schedule and you don't get to play them but you end up playing the Chiefs...under this scenario, how many teams will make/miss the playoffs because of random chance and dealing with schedule adjustments due to other teams out of their control?

Even when they play 16 games, some teams are disadvantaged by the schedule. These reschedulinga are just another advantage/disadvantage that will fall on teams. May be unfair, but it's just the breaks.  Just like a bad call or a bad bounce. 

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Even when they play 16 games, some teams are disadvantaged by the schedule. These reschedulinga are just another advantage/disadvantage that will fall on teams. May be unfair, but it's just the breaks.  Just like a bad call or a bad bounce. 

Whether a team gets in because it has schedule adjusted to help them get key players back the answer is "just give it to them".