Raiders Defense - Credit to Daboll

Virgil

In watching the Raiders-Chiefs game, I noticed a lot of 7 deep coverage and 3 safeties.  I didn’t watch the All-22 of the Bills-Raiders game, but I remember the commentators saying the Raiders did a similar thing against the Bills. 

What’s interesting is how quickly and easily the Bills adjusted and didn’t slow down in their movement down field.  

This may not be thread worthy, but Mahomes and the offense had less than 50 yards in total offense in the second half until they scored a touchdown.  Mahomes looked lost out there and they couldn’t adjust.  

Credit to be Josh and Daboll for adjusting seemingly easily and moving through it.  They also handled the 3-4 season of the Rams with 30+ points. I look forward to see what we do against the Pats defense and other schemes. 

• Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

In watching the Raiders-Chiefs game, I noticed a lot of 7 deep coverage and 3 safeties.  I didn’t watch the All-22 of the Bills-Raiders game, but I remember the commentators saying the Raiders did a similar thing against the Bills. 

What’s interesting is how quickly and easily the Bills adjusted and didn’t slow down in their movement down field.  

This may not be thread worthy, but Mahomes and the offense had less than 50 yards in total offense in the second half until they scored a touchdown.  Mahomes looked lost out there and they couldn’t adjust.  

Credit to be Josh and Daboll for adjusting seemingly easily and moving through it.  They also handled the 3-4 season of the Rams with 30+ points. I look forward to see what we do against the Pats defense and other schemes. 

The Bills have the weapons to do a lot of different things the only weakness is TE and guys are even making plays there.

• Like (+1) 1

He looked lost vs the Pats also and I’m not so sure it wasn’t the brilliance of BB more than the system wasn’t humming along.

people comment on his improvisionational   Skills when what I see is rhythm and he’s finding his 2nd, 3rd option.

I’m not calling him a system QB but his receivers aren’t coming back to the hot read fast enough and when the system breaks down he appears human and his mechanics falter in the anxiety.

will be interesting what McFraiser does and if we see deja vu.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched a lot of that game, and I was thinking generally along with the OP.  The Raiders had more trouble handling the Bills offense.  And the Chiefs had more trouble handling the Raiders than the Bills did.  The Bills beat a good team last week.  

• Like (+1) 11

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I had that thought that the Raiders D looked relatively “dazed and confused” against us.

I’m told it’s because the Raiders got Ruggs back and we’re lucky we faced them without him

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Mahomes was very antsy today and was bailing from the pocket on almost every dropback. Some was good pressure by the Raiders but many times there was no pressure and he was doing his best Darnold impersonation.

Mahomes definitely looked puzzling on many dropbacks.   Plus the running game didn't sizzle as much as it has in previous weeks.   The screen game for them was blown up multiple times.   KC defense definitely was suspect deep, and the Raiders went after that again and again.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

Mahomes definitely looked puzzling on many dropbacks.   Plus the running game didn't sizzle as much as it has in previous weeks.   The screen game for them was blown up multiple times.   KC defense definitely was suspect deep, and the Raiders went after that again and again.   

Well, Mahomes did pass for 340 yards.  I read here that it doesn't matter if your defense has holes.   Just pass for 300 yards baby.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think watching that game we learned a valuable lesson. Rush Mahomes right up the gut, force him out of the pocket, and don’t let hill and hardman get deep behind your coverage. 

I do think the raiders really miss Ruggs those games he missed even if he’s only decoying. Guy just makes everyone play a few steps deeper every play he’s out there 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think watching that game we learned a valuable lesson. Rush Mahomes right up the gut, force him out of the pocket, and don’t let hill and hardman get deep behind your coverage. 

I do think the raiders really miss Ruggs those games he missed even if he’s only decoying. Guy just makes everyone play a few steps deeper every play he’s out there 

I think you are partially right.   Mahomes usually does a lot of his damage when rolling out to his right.  However, that’s when he does it by choice.  If you are going to force him out, have someone waiting for him so he can’t reset his feet. 

Edited by Virgil

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that thought that the Raiders D looked relatively “dazed and confused” against us.

I’m told it’s because the Raiders got Ruggs back and we’re lucky we faced them without him

He is such a key to their secondary.

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I watched a lot of that game, and I was thinking generally along with the OP.  The Raiders had more trouble handling the Bills offense.  And the Chiefs had more trouble handling the Raiders than the Bills did.  The Bills beat a good team last week.  

While true, we didn't have to deal with Ruggs. He played really well today. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think you are partially right.   Mahomes usually does a lot of his damage when rolling out to his right.  However, that’s when he does it by choice.  If you are going to force him out, have someone waiting for him so he can’t reset his feet. 

He does seem to have a tendency to roll out to his right and then throw back across his body, and do it successfully. Another thing to watch is Osemele the left guard, he’s been amazing for them and as soon as he went down Vegas owned the middle of that line. Something to watch for as we love that blitz up the middle