“Forest Bathing” vs Hunting

BringBackFergy

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Is there a difference?

Both involve being in the woods, breathing fresh air and listening to nature. 

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/5894443002

Edit: Tag @ExiledInIllinois This is his cup of tea. 

You're absolutely right! +1

"Your battles inspired me - not the obvious material battles but those that were fought and won behind your forehead."

~James Joyce

On a serious note.   FiL was, I say was because He passed  away this morning @ 0500, in Hospice.  We couldn't be there yesterday because we are from lllinois and NYS wouldn't allow it.  I did take my wife into the woods yesterday to seek solice and find her peace... And through FaceTime and the kids being 700 miles apart each way... We made our goodbye and love known...

"Forest Bathing" was one of her book discussions...

Oh... To answer your question.  No... IMO, there is no difference.  Except, w/hunting, the "bathing" ends with death...

...Chaos, quickly restored back to order.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're absolutely right! +1

"Your battles inspired me - not the obvious material battles but those that were fought and won behind your forehead."

~James Joyce

On a serious note.   FiL was, I say was because He passed  away this morning @ 0500, in Hospice.  We couldn't be there yesterday because we are from lllinois and NYS wouldn't allow it.  I did take my wife into the woods yesterday to seek solice and find her peace... And through FaceTime and the kids being 700 miles apart each way... We made our goodbye and love known...

"Forest Bathing" was one of her book discussions...

Oh... To answer your question.  No... IMO, there is no difference.  Except, w/hunting, the "bathing" ends with death...

...Chaos, quickly restored back to order.

Very sorry about FiL. Glad you were all able to connect with him before his passing. 

“Forest Bathing” and Hunting are the same. One does not need to kill an animal to “hunt”. Both activities take one into nature, restorative, natural, in a tree (stand). Are you saying the “intent” to harvest food makes one activity less honorable than the other?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Very sorry about FiL. Glad you were all able to connect with him before his passing. 

“Forest Bathing” and Hunting are the same. One does not need to kill an animal to “hunt”. Both activities take one into nature, restorative, natural, in a tree (stand). Are you saying the “intent” to harvest food makes one activity less honorable than the other?

No.  Not at all.  Some may think that. IMO, harvesting food is more honorable. 

I joked and posted this last night in the ShoutBox:

https://www.livescience.com/amp/first-human-caused-animal-extinction.html

With the comment: "Let's all hold hands and sing 'Kumbaya' w/a short-faced bear! 😉 😜 "

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

These forest bathers are the same type of people that hire a prostitute to scream obscenities at their anus.  We have a lot of them here in Vermont.

My wife taught English, rhetoric @ the University level for a few years before going into public libraries...  One of her favorite corrective measures with red ink was:

"Sweeping Generalization!"

Don't fret... I am her worst enemy when it comes to this.  Almost 30 years strong and still haven't learned the lesson.  😆 🤣 

• Like (+1) 2

What's  wrong with screaming obscenities @ my anus?

Tagged: @Johnny Hammersticks

😆 🤣 

FWIW... I once listened to an interview w/Ted Nugent.  He takes paraplegics out hunting.  They pull the trigger with their mouths.   Enquiring minds want to know where 🤔 that falls between "Forest Bathing" and "Harvesting."

In the old days, they used to do the "Christmas Bird Count"... By actually shooting them, side hunt.  It was an "inventory", census of birds out there in the Western Hemisphere. For science, record keeping purposes and competition. This until all the birds started to get wiped out.  Then they started just painting pictures of birds followed by using a telephoto lens.

"...Up through the 19th century, many North Americans participated in the tradition of Christmas "side hunts", in which they competed at how many birds they could kill, regardless of whether they had any use for the carcasses and of whether the birds were beneficial, beautiful, or rare. In December 1900, the U.S. ornithologist Frank Chapman, founder of Bird-Lore (which became Audubon magazine), proposed counting birds on Christmas instead of killing them. ..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 2

Damn, this is pretty granola stuff.

Most outdoor activities in quiet places will elicit a calming response. How this became "therapy" of hippies chewing on moss is bizarre.

Activities like hiking, backpacking, hunting for game, hunting for mushrooms, geocaching, cross country skiing, etc. are good enough in themselves.

Ah, regurgitation of the tree huggers.  Can we sue them for false advertising because no one's getting naked therefore it's not  "bathing"?  

Love how they cry about Covid then pat themselves on the back because it only took them till July to figure out it was actually an advantage for them.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Ah, regurgitation of the tree huggers.  Can we sue them for false advertising because no one's getting naked therefore it's not  "bathing"?  

Love how they cry about Covid then pat themselves on the back because it only took them till July to figure out it was actually an advantage for them.

Now now. We aren’t finger pointing here. The question remains: hunting and forest bathing are synonymous, correct? Of course, if I take my phone in the woods/tree stand and look at TBD, I kind of nullify the relaxation element, but it’s still nice connecting with nature. 

56 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Now now. We aren’t finger pointing here. The question remains: hunting and forest bathing are synonymous, correct? Of course, if I take my phone in the woods/tree stand and look at TBD, I kind of nullify the relaxation element, but it’s still nice connecting with nature. 

Why, yes!  Other than the intermittent smell of cordite I'd wager the two groups indistinguishable to even the ardent observer.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.