Article: Jim Kelly says Josh Allen is a worthy successor: 'I’m very confident in that'

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Agree - love ya Jim, but not 100% confident? What is he watching?

You have to remember that Jim is probably just as jaded as the rest of us when it comes to the Bills QB position...and even when you’re literally watching Allen’s greatness with your own eyes, sometimes you still have to pinch yourself because we have been so programmed to anticipate the worst...so, I totally get where Jim is coming from...

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

I wish the old guys would just let this team be itself. They had their time.

Alumni from other teams are always giving props to current players on there former teams.

Look a Michael Irvin all loud and proud every week about the Cowgirls on NFLN.

Lots of other examples out there.

10 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I still remember when Jim Kelly wanted to no part of Buffalo and now lives in Buffalo and is the Bills biggest supporter,  just like fans Jim has been waiting a long time to finally see the team have a great QB.  Good for Jim and hope he lives another 30 years

I thought he moved to Florida for good a few years ago?  And yes on the rest.

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't think he really had good vibe about JP or Tyrod

I don't recall him ever hyping-up a Bills QB.

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He just answers questions that he's asked he doesn't go around looking for Josh Allen interviews

I think this is true .... now.  

And I totally get it/agree.  He's the most famous Bill and people want his opinion.

But you have to admit, there was a pretty good stretch of post-retirement years in which Kelly, Thurman and Andre were all over the place.  That got annoying to me.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

You have to remember that Jim is probably just as jaded as the rest of us when it comes to the Bills QB position...and even when you’re literally watching Allen’s greatness with your own eyes, sometimes you still have to pinch yourself because we have been so programmed to anticipate the worst...so, I totally get where Jim is coming from...

I’d think he, if anyone, would see it through a different lens then that if a fan. 

Maybe not 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

It’s a good thing having them around and involved to a certain degree but I do get a laugh out of people calling for them to be coaches.  Just let it go 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

How exactly is JK not letting “this team be itself?” I haven’t heard or seen peep of the notion that any of our franchise past greats are meddling in what the Bills are try to do. FYI, @Hapless Bills Fanposted elsewhere this week that the Bills are incorporating concepts of the K-Gun offense with Daboll and Josh’s express wish...but why would we want such a thing? :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

I believe Allen will have a bottom ceiling of Phil Simms and top ceiling of a Brett Favre,  for me a franchise QB does not have to be a superstar to be your guy for 10-12 years.  Simms was not a superstar but he won a Super Bowl,  was not elite but he was consistent and gave his team a chance to win.  Having said that i am very confident Allen will be better than Simms because of his arm talent and is more mobile.  The Bills just need to continue to get greedy and add players around him,  this league is about passing the football,  if Knox does not work out then find another guy because the TE is the QB'S favorite friend.  Josh was labelled a project the day we drafted him,  so unless your blind or have a poor undertanding of the game you should be able to see his growth and improvement from year to year.  That gets me excited the most because i believe he will only get better and better.

I personally don’t care if anyone cares to hear the opinions of the old timers on the new regime.

But just like all of us, they have opinions, and not like us they lived it and have a more knowledgeable opinion.

I just find it strange that so many people that don’t care about their opinions opened and read a thread about their opinions? 

Seems odd to me, but I’d prefer a HOF QBs positive take than most of the drivel spewed by many around here. 

9 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Agree - love ya Jim, but not 100% confident? What is he watching?

Let’s say Josh gets a ring for the Bills in his first try + SB MVP. He would automatically become the greatest QB in Bills history. I wonder how happy Jimbo would be about that.

• Like (+1) 1

I can't blame Jim for voicing his opinion.  He's a HOF QB and a legend in WNY.  As Buffalo716 pointed out previously, of course people are going to ask him questions.  Saying that he's less than 100% confident doesn't bother me.  

While I don't blame him, I take what Jim says with a grain of salt.  On the one hand, he knows the position of quarterback better than anyone here.  But on the other hand, despite his occasional attempt at humility, the man obviously has some ego.  I think his ego, combined with his love for the team, can make him a cautious skeptic.

I think Josh would have to achieve back-to-back 6,000 yards seasons and a Super Bowl ring for Jim to concede that Allen just might possibly be as good as him.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

33 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I can't blame Jim for voicing his opinion.  He's a HOF QB and a legend in WNY.  As Buffalo716 pointed out previously, of course people are going to ask him questions.  Saying that he's less than 100% confident doesn't bother me.  

While I don't blame him, I take what Jim says with a grain of salt.  On the one hand, he knows the position of quarterback better than anyone here.  But on the other hand, despite his occasional attempt at humility, the man obviously has some ego.  I think his ego, combined with his love for the team, can make him a cautious skeptic.

I think Josh would have to achieve back-to-back 6,000 yards seasons and a Super Bowl ring for Jim to concede that Allen just might possibly be as good as him.  

He's obviously cautiously a skeptic. He definitely can see the change in culture, but there's always that seed of doubt that maybe it's the same

He has felt all the ups and downs with the bills over these least 30 some years

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Let’s say Josh gets a ring for the Bills in his first try + SB MVP. He would automatically become the greatest QB in Bills history. I wonder how happy Jimbo would be about that.

I’d expect him to say all the right things. And he would.

But boy o boy....deep down? 

Mmmm mmm

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/10/2020 at 5:12 PM, Limeaid said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jim-kelly-loves-seeing-josh-allen-become-heir-to-bills-throne

Someone on staff give Kelly a job even if it is in Offense booth on home days.

Wyoming head coach Craig Bohl and Dawkins too.

Why? This isn't a part time job.

11 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I believe Allen will have a bottom ceiling of Phil Simms and top ceiling of a Brett Favre,  for me a franchise QB does not have to be a superstar to be your guy for 10-12 years.  Simms was not a superstar but he won a Super Bowl,  was not elite but he was consistent and gave his team a chance to win.  Having said that i am very confident Allen will be better than Simms because of his arm talent and is more mobile.  The Bills just need to continue to get greedy and add players around him,  this league is about passing the football,  if Knox does not work out then find another guy because the TE is the QB'S favorite friend.  Josh was labelled a project the day we drafted him,  so unless your blind or have a poor undertanding of the game you should be able to see his growth and improvement from year to year.  That gets me excited the most because i believe he will only get better and better.

Allen already is better than Simms.

• Like (+1) 1