Article: Jim Kelly says Josh Allen is a worthy successor: 'I’m very confident in that'

On 10/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

For the record, proud Gen-Xer here.

The “glory days” were middle school and high school for me. What a fantastic time in a young man’s life for his favorite team to be so damn good! I lived it. Often in person. Fortunate to have actually been at legendary games in person, including “The Comeback”, and “51-3”, amongst others.

BUT...that was a long time ago. I personally no longer care what these guys think/say/do anymore. It’s completely irrelevant, in my opinion.

And I cannot back the “to each their. own” vibe enough. You want to hang on to that ancient history, then you enjoy that. I just feel the young guns shouldn’t be kept in the shadows of these fossils anymore. 

Totally agree with this.  Was a senior in high school the first super bowl, what a great time to be a Bills fan.  But that time is over, it is a new era in Bills football and the future is bright.  In some weird way, I think the Bills were held back because they were always looking back to the glory days.  Perfect example was hiring MarV Levy as GM when he clearly wasn't qualified, or bringing Buddy Nix back.  Hopefully next year they let us pack the stadium again because it will be quite the scene there next season if so.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Totally agree with this.  Was a senior in high school the first super bowl, what a great time to be a Bills fan.  But that time is over, it is a new era in Bills football and the future is bright.  In some weird way, I think the Bills were held back because they were always looking back to the glory days.  Perfect example was hiring MarV Levy as GM when he clearly wasn't qualified, or bringing Buddy Nix back.  Hopefully next year they let us pack the stadium again because it will be quite the scene there next season if so.

Marv Levy was brought back for one reason - Tom Donahoe alienated fans and Marv was brought back to repair relations.  It was not "looking back to the glory days".

30 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Marv Levy was brought back for one reason - Tom Donahoe alienated fans and Marv was brought back to repair relations.  It was not "looking back to the glory days".

Marv was also brought back because Ralph knew him.  If there's any problem with "looking back" it was with our owner's reticence to bring in a front office with someone new, as in Marv and Buddy Nix.  Later with Russ running the show it was just bridled incompetence.  

I have no problem with keeping in touch with our most successful alumnus.  Sustaining success teaches its own lessons and that is best handed down on a player to player level rather than a coach preaching it.  Plus it gives the new guys an appreciation of the franchise and what it means to play for us.

Absolutely it's a problem if the alumnus feel too entitled to meddle with the current players but is that what happens?  The only concern I have at times is Kelly opinionating on the QB, but he says nothing negative while they're here fighting for the job.  But otherwise it seems like there's a good balance of occasional interactions.

Bruce Smith spent Myles Garrett's rookie training camp there tutoring him, because he liked  Garrett's abilities and felt he could help him.  Browns didn't think twice about making that happen but people are saying we shouldn't do that here if Bruce was interested?  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Marv was also brought back because Ralph knew him.  If there's any problem with "looking back" it was with our owner's reticence to bring in a front office with someone new, as in Marv and Buddy Nix.  Later with Russ running the show it was just bridled incompetence.  

I have no problem with keeping in touch with our most successful alumnus.  Sustaining success teaches its own lessons and that is best handed down on a player to player level rather than a coach preaching it.  Plus it gives the new guys an appreciation of the franchise and what it means to play for us.

Absolutely it's a problem if the alumnus feel too entitled to meddle with the current players but is that what happens?  The only concern I have at times is Kelly opinionating on the QB, but he says nothing negative while they're here fighting for the job.  But otherwise it seems like there's a good balance of occasional interactions.

Bruce Smith spent Myles Garrett's rookie training camp there tutoring him, because he liked  Garrett's abilities and felt he could help him.  Browns didn't think twice about making that happen but people are saying we shouldn't do that here if Bruce was interested?  

at times is Kelly opinionating on the QB.  No such word as opinionating! 

Kelly had his shot to win a Super Bowl and he failed badly.  Let Josh just be himself!!

1 hour ago, LB48 said:

at times is Kelly opinionating on the QB.  No such word as opinionating

Kelly had his shot to win a Super Bowl and he failed badly.  Let Josh just be himself!!

I'm not sure what your first language is but regret to inform you your English knowledge needs some work.

Meanwhile, could you explain how Kelly is preventing Josh from being himself?  Especially as Allen has sought out Kelly for advice in the past.

I don't understand the hate on Kelly for his comment at all.  The Bills have had mediocre or trash QB's since he last played.  It  seems like they finally found his successor after 8 million years and hes giving Allen his vote of confidence.  Kelly loves the Bills and the city of Buffalo so be happy he gives his approval.  He might know a thing or 2 about the sport and the position

On 10/12/2020 at 10:30 AM, Limeaid said:

*****, he was brought back to rekindle history.  That set us back 4 or 5 years.  Horrible drafts he had.

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jim Kelly wanted the Bills to draft Tim Tebow.  Great player but He’s just a fan like us with no real insight anymore. 

There's a difference between projecting how a QB will be when he plays in the NFL versus evaluating him once he does.