Who Is the Top Threat to Take Down the Chiefs in the AFC? BR article. CBS, Greenberg

2 hours ago, wjag said:

I just can’t fathom these numbers.  I feel like I have awoke in an alternate universe.  Perfect passer rating on deep balls?  146 on third down.  The Buffalo Bills?   This is crazy.  And fun.  

Heavens to Mergatroid!  I couldn't resist wjag.

3 hours ago, billykay said:

Nobody runs as well as Jackson. He also has a fairly strong arm but not in the same ball park as Josh.

Agreed but do think the difference between Allen and Jackson's passing this year is greater than the difference between their running.  Allen isn't really being asked to run much to start with so far this year.  Plus I think coaches of any running QB would still tell you they want their QB to be the bigger threat passing rather than running the ball.  Only one game but having less than 100 yards against KC is pretty bad, in particular when you lose.  If they won you could argue they were running out the clock, but even when behind and the opposition is going to give you some completions, he got very few.  Other games have been better, but certainly not at an MVP level so far this year.

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agreed but do think the difference between Allen and Jackson's passing this year is greater than the difference between their running.  Allen isn't really being asked to run much to start with so far this year.  Plus I think coaches of any running QB would still tell you they want their QB to be the bigger threat passing rather than running the ball.  Only one game but having less than 100 yards against KC is pretty bad, in particular when you lose.  If they won you could argue they were running out the clock, but even when behind and the opposition is going to give you some completions, he got very few.  Other games have been better, but certainly not at an MVP level so far this year.

You are right.  It was a very Tyrod like game for Lamar.  

8 hours ago, Success said:

I lurk on one of the Pats boards.  Don't ask me why; it's a weird thing.

But the near constant mantra since we started hot is "the Bills have started hot before - they always unravel."

I mean, some truth - but that was with a completely different team, coach, GM, owner, QB...the works.  This is the same team in name only.

But still....it worries me.  Irrationally.

The observation that the Bills always unravel after a hot start has some basis in fact.

For me personally, I never truly believed in those hot starts.  When the hot starts were underway, I knew we couldn't keep winning at that pace.  So I'd be thinking:  If the Bills can just win half their games from here on, we'll go to the playoffs.  Please, oh Gods of the Gridiron, I'm on my knees before you in supplication.  Just half!

This year, I worry about Covid, I worry about injuries, and I worry about the slow start of the defense.  But for the first time in a long, long time, I think the Bills are a legitimately good team.  Not only are we 4-0, we deserve to be 4-0.  In each game, the better team won.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Success said:

I lurk on one of the Pats boards.  Don't ask me why; it's a weird thing.

But the near constant mantra since we started hot is "the Bills have started hot before - they always unravel."

I mean, some truth - but that was with a completely different team, coach, GM, owner, QB...the works.  This is the same team in name only.

But still....it worries me.  Irrationally.

Until the Bills actually win the division they haven’t proven they are any different than older Bills teams. 

16 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The article call L Jackson the top dual threat QB in the league.  Granted it's only 4 weeks, but I would think you could easily argue that role as #1 should be Allen as Jackson doesn't have close to the arm of Allen.  If Allen needs to, he can run almost as well as Jackson.

Anyone who believes LJ is a better QB at this time is either a liar or a Josh Allen hater. 

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Anyone who believes LJ is a better QB at this time is either a liar or a Josh Allen hater. 

It's only been 4 weeks, can recall Trent Edwards looking amazing for about a 5 week span too that one year.  Then he hit his head and everything fell apart.  Admittedly there's been more year to year improvement with Allen than we ever saw from Edwards.  Certainly if Allen keeps this up all year, he likely becomes the best QB from the class  of 2018.  Though Mayfield is looking pretty good right now too.

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It's only been 4 weeks, can recall Trent Edwards looking amazing for about a 5 week span too that one year.  Then he hit his head and everything fell apart.  Admittedly there's been more year to year improvement with Allen than we ever saw from Edwards.  Certainly if Allen keeps this up all year, he likely becomes the best QB from the class  of 2018.  Though Mayfield is looking pretty good right now too.

Below are Edwards' stat for each game in 2008.    I would say he was mainly efficient during the 4-0 stretch as he had a whopping 4 touchdowns in 4 games.     Didn't the defense get a number of turnovers during that time  which made more of a difference in the result?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/10536/type/nfl/year/2008

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Perhaps - Josh is just better. 

Redraft right now and every GM would select JA. 

Not debatable. Well, you could debate but you’d lose. 

IMO he is a better QB. 

NFLN just had a spot on this topic 

Mooch picked the Bills as the team that could do it 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Utah John said:

The argument in favor of the Bills rests on the faulty assumption that their defense is as good as it was the past couple of years.  For some reason (no Star?) it just isn't as good this year.  I think the improvement in the Bills offense is much greater than the problems in their defense, so overall they're a much better team, but in order to take down the Chiefs, the Bills will need to slow down Mahomes, and only Belichick seems to be able to do that.

The 2019 schedule was historically weak. Defense is similar this year. Better opponents so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

Norman was in interesting addition last week, forcing the fumble.  It's pretty clear pass rush and 2nd corner are our weakest points, but a 2nd corner who can force some turnovers could be a nice key to defense improvement.

I'm not buying the Ravens when it comes to the Chiefs.  The last couple of times they've played the games haven't been remotely close. The Pats with Cam are likely the closest challenge, their ability to run the football and grind the game down it what's needed.  If our secondary could force turnovers and Allen / the offensive improvement is for real, I think we are an interesting matchup.