NFL Launches LGBTQ History Month PSA

WotAGuy

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

My uncle fought cancer and his husband was by his side every step of the way.  He eventually passed and it was the purest form of love I’ve ever witnessed.  

Im a huge supporter of LGBTQ rights and equality.  

That said, sometimes you just don’t want to be lectured all the time, even when you agree with the subject matter.   

Im fine with the NFL doing this.. I won’t stop watching or anything like that, but after the barrage of social justice stuff, and now this... I just don’t need to be told how to feel at all times. 

I support black lives.  I’ll vote (third party).  I support LGBTQ rights.   I don’t need to be told to do so all the time. 

I’m not sure playing a PSA and showing support is “lecturing”, but I appreciate the story about your family. Very nice. 

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So who is outraged again?

Is this the invisible grievance thread?

Outraged?  Invisible grievance?  You must hang out at PPP

5 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Ok bud. Are you willfully ignorant, or intentionally trolling? Either way, your OP was cool, but then you decided to take it off the the rails by direct prodding of political issues that are expressly prohibited. Maybe the rules only apply in one direction? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Thought you wanted to talk football?

This thread made me think of football commercials when I was a kid in the 60’s, laying on the floor on Sunday watching the games on tv. 

Lincoln Mercury - beautiful women in slinky dresses laying on top of luxury cars 

All season radial tires with a Dad driving his family in snow and ice and doing it safely. 

Prestone  Radiator Fluid - put a hole in the can and the fluid stops the leak in seconds.  Wow 

Sexy women watching men shave with Nozema “medicated comfort shave” cream.  Can’t wait until my beard grows like Dad and Uncles.  

Investment firms and insurance policies - don’t know what they are talking about.  

Beer - lots of Miller, Bud, even Sclhlitz.    Maybe a can mooch a few swigs later?

Cigarettes - Marlboro country, Lucky Strike, Kool. 

Airline flights with happy and well dressed people going to exotic places (Pan Am, TWA ) 

Car Batteries starting in arctic conditions with the lights left on. 

Pretty girls chasing you because you are wearing Hi Karate.  

Midas Mufflers, Dodge Trucks, Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang - I bought them all when I got older.  

Like today, it was a volatile and highly political time, but football was still a diversion.  

• Like (+1) 2

Frankly, I don't give a crap about this stuff until the NFL shows it's a money grab. I lost my mother to cancer when I was 11, but it's difficult for me to express how ridiculous the game looked with everyone draped in pink for a month. Having everyone draped in rainbows will look equally stupid, but hey...gotta move the merchandise.

11 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, from a purely marketing stand point it makes sense that an organization with such a great track record or having openly gay players would seek to be on the cutting edge....

For instance? Remember that time that player got drafted entirely for his sexual orientation and then was made a huge focus of the offseason and training camp even though he sucked at football? 
Man, that equality really warmed my heart.

One thing I'll give the NFL credit for: they can have their icons of social justice, whether it's Kaep or Sam. They can even cut Jerry a deal to draft Sam so they have their icon. 

But icon or not, if you suck at this sport, no one is keeping you on payroll. There's no justice in losing.

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

But those ED pill adverts every other commercial break during an NFL broadcast are totes fine, amirite??

I don't even notice those.   All medication commercials look the same to me.

Which does bring up the question, how will they go about this?  It's a valid concern.   When I was younger sexuality was taboo to show on TV before 8 at night.  Now, I can't even trust commercials.

I'm sure a lot of people dont care what's on TV, but if you have young kids and your not paying attention, it will raise them with its values.   Not yours.

An organization that focuses and spends time with children's groups should not be in a position to be preaching at our kids about sexuality. 

When sports is filled with social messaging, its preaching at us.  Not entertaining us. The World has Loved openly gay Stars many times over.....

let parents parent their children.  I'm tired of this social justice crap being directly focused at a child demographic. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsBytheBay said:

Now my kids can't watch football. They began the Year by attempting till me and my kids what we can't think.  Now, they're focusing on a topic that is purely sexual before my kids have gotten through thinking boys have cooties.  

They are pushing us to explain sex to our kids that used to come in time.

Perhaps you should teach your kids that LGBTQ isn't about sex, since - you know - it's not.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Frankly, I don't give a crap about this stuff until the NFL shows it's a money grab. I lost my mother to cancer when I was 11, but it's difficult for me to express how ridiculous the game looked with everyone draped in pink for a month. Having everyone draped in rainbows will look equally stupid, but hey...gotta move the merchandise.

One thing I'll give the NFL credit for: they can have their icons of social justice, whether it's Kaep or Sam. They can even cut Jerry a deal to draft Sam so they have their icon. 

But icon or not, if you suck at this sport, no one is keeping you on payroll. There's no justice in losing.

it was actually the Rams who drafted him... but yes- winning is king. 

15 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

This thread made me think of football commercials when I was a kid in the 60’s, laying on the floor on Sunday watching the games on tv. 

Lincoln Mercury - beautiful women in slinky dresses laying on top of luxury cars 

All season radial tires with a Dad driving his family in snow and ice and doing it safely. 

Prestone  Radiator Fluid - put a hole in the can and the fluid stops the leak in seconds.  Wow 

Sexy women watching men shave with Nozema “medicated comfort shave” cream.  Can’t wait until my beard grows like Dad and Uncles.  

Investment firms and insurance policies - don’t know what they are talking about.  

Beer - lots of Miller, Bud, even Sclhlitz.    Maybe a can mooch a few swigs later?

Cigarettes - Marlboro country, Lucky Strike, Kool. 

Airline flights with happy and well dressed people going to exotic places (Pan Am, TWA ) 

Car Batteries starting in arctic conditions with the lights left on. 

Pretty girls chasing you because you are wearing Hi Karate.  

Midas Mufflers, Dodge Trucks, Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang - I bought them all when I got older.  

Like today, it was a volatile and highly political time, but football was still a diversion.  

Fair enough, but the NFL simply follows the cash. In the 60’s the league weren’t worried about future generations they wanted to maintain as followers. No one knew for sure what the future would hold back in the 60’s. In 2020, looking at socioeconomic statistics, lifestyles, and politics, we know future generations need to be marketed to differently. That’s all this stuff is, marketing meant to make money in the future when the boomers are gone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it is great. If it helps ease the pain of some people, even in a small way, it is beneficial. I have friends that have really struggled with this because of thow they were treated, and how much they feared to show who they really were. One even to the point of an attempted suicide. Even if it helps people a little, I'm all for it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsBytheBay said:

I don't even notice those.   All medication commercials look the same to me.

Which does bring up the question, how will they go about this?  It's a valid concern.   When I was younger sexuality was taboo to show on TV before 8 at night.  Now, I can't even trust commercials.

I'm sure a lot of people dont care what's on TV, but if you have young kids and your not paying attention, it will raise them with its values.   Not yours.

An organization that focuses and spends time with children's groups should not be in a position to be preaching at our kids about sexuality. 

When sports is filled with social messaging, its preaching at us.  Not entertaining us. The World has Loved openly gay Stars many times over.....

let parents parent their children.  I'm tired of this social justice crap being directly focused at a child demographic. 

TV is not the only thing parents of young children need to monitor.  You might be surprised to see how much different the public schools are now.   Looking at it from my lens some is for the better but not all of the change is good.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m not sure playing a PSA and showing support is “lecturing”, but I appreciate the story about your family. Very nice. 

Outraged?  Invisible grievance?  You must hang out at PPP

Thought you wanted to talk football?

14 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Just wondering if it will trigger as much outrage as kneeling did. Probably not, because it’s not as easy as claiming patriotism. 

Yeah outraged.

If you’re going to troll, you have to remember what you posted already.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Yeah outraged.

If you’re going to troll, you have to remember what you posted already.

So, wondering if people will be outraged means there is outrage?  Umm no. 

Not sure why you bolded that part of my story.  It involved no outrage. It was the father of a lesbian noting that a word that was once pejorative is now embraced as an accepted way of identifying oneself. How you see outrage in that says more about you than me. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I had a conversation with a very good friend yesterday whose daughter came out years ago. We were talking about society’s acceptance of LGBTQ and how “*****” used to be a pejorative and is now an identification.  I had to look it up to see what it means 🤣. So, in my friend’s eyes, something like this by the NFL May be a money grab but is also lending more acceptance of all people. 
edit: the “Q” in LGBTQ is what got blanked above. 

Lgbtq people have called themselves the q Word without negative connotation for a while now

The show q eye since the straight guy was huge even 15 years ago

So it can't all be negative I assume

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lgbtq people have called themselves the q Word without negative connotation for a while now

The show q eye since the straight guy was huge even 15 years ago

So it can't all be negative I assume

I guess I missed that show 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I didn't watch it but I had a chick who did

It was basically a bunch of gay guys who gave fashion advice and new wardrobes to straight guys who had no style

Oh.  That’s me. 😝

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I didn't watch it but I had a chick who did

It was basically a bunch of gay guys who gave fashion advice and new wardrobes to straight guys who had no style

That is like Cam "Fig" Newton and Deion "Neon" Sanders giving fashion advice.  It may be your thing but it is not mine.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

That is like Cam "Fig" Newton and Deion "Neon" Sanders giving fashion advice.  It may be your thing but it is not mine.

What may be my thing? I never endorsed anything lol

I said I had a girl who watched that show 

Edited by Buffalo716