NFL Launches LGBTQ History Month PSA

WotAGuy

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, from a purely marketing stand point it makes sense that an organization with such a great track record or having openly gay players would seek to be on the cutting edge....

For instance? Remember that time that player got drafted entirely for his sexual orientation and then was made a huge focus of the offseason and training camp even though he sucked at football? 
Man, that equality really warmed my heart.

He really didn't deserve all that pressure heaped upon him either.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Isn’t this a step in the right direction though?  They have to start somewhere. At least it brought to my awareness that there was a LGBTQ History Month. I had no idea this has been a thing since 1994. 

This stuff gets old .. why does this need attention more than one of these ...

https://www.healthline.com/health/directory-awareness-months

why not World Preclampsia Day; ADHD awareness (I have it .. and many youth and adults really struggle with acceptance, etc.); Helen Keller Deaf-Blind Awareness Week. There are literally thousands of these. So why this one .. because political pressure. They can do whatever .. I am still watching .. but you are kidding yourself if you do not think it is political 

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 5

When this political streaming pile comes during a game, I turn it off immediately.  When its showering me with loads, I run. Never owned a slave, my family fought to free slaves and its insulting as f**k that its put into my face in any forum of any kind. BLM, REALLY? NO EFFIN S**t! Rant over

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

LGBT folks have money too. And they spend some of it on entertainment. And their numbers are not insignificant. And they have many supportive allies. And they are not the biggest NFL fans around. Seems like it is a nice thing to do and on top of that, it would be corporate negligence to ignore so many potential new fans. Marketing-wise, the LGBT community has always been hyper-loyal to brands they perceive as being on their side. 

As for the grumpy grumpermeisters that are inevitably going to grump, grump, grump, their kvetching is added amusement for us all. Its a win-win situation. And if a bunch of them leave football over it, then its a win-win-win situation.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Just wondering if it will trigger as much outrage as kneeling did. Probably not, because it’s not as easy as claiming patriotism. 

Are you being antgonistic for any specific reason, or just having fun?

Funny, but I remember reading something about keeping politics off this board. I suppose I need clarification. It's probably me. 

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Mickey said:

LGBT folks have money too. And they spend some of it on entertainment. And their numbers are not insignificant. And they have many supportive allies. And they are not the biggest NFL fans around. Seems like it is a nice thing to do and on top of that, it would be corporate negligence to ignore so many potential new fans. Marketing-wise, the LGBT community has always been hyper-loyal to brands they perceive as being on their side. 

As for the grumpy grumpermeisters that are inevitably going to grump, grump, grump, their kvetching is added amusement for us all. Its a win-win situation. And if a bunch of them leave football over it, then its a win-win-win situation.

Well said. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Lmao, even money says greater than 50% of NFL players would have voted for prop 8. 

I mean we all know the demographics of the NFL are largely Christian, jock, white and black folks. And we all know historically, those folks LOVE the gays.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

When this political streaming pile comes during a game, I turn it off immediately.  When its showering me with loads, I run. Never owned a slave, my family fought to free slaves and its insulting as f**k that its put into my face in any forum of any kind. BLM, REALLY? NO EFFIN S**t! Rant over

Phrasing!

• Haha (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

This is incredibly hollow considering how little the league has done to actual encourage players to be openly gay and support them.

This. NFL uses these causes as money grabs.

That said, it’s better than no support (still waiting on domestic violence awareness month).

Maybe this is step one in league wide support of openly LGBTQ players, coaches, and personnel .