NFL Launches LGBTQ History Month PSA

WotAGuy

Yeah, don't care. NFL, just like the breast cancer awareness pink stuff did that for one reason, more women viewers/$$$. Same thing here. Doubt this will be successful in getting those folks to care either.

Hard to believe though that they couldn't get Zeke and Odell to be in this ad. I always thought they'd make such a cute couple.

Edited by Bferra13
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I just wish it didn’t even have to be “a thing” at all. You do your thing, I’ll do mine. Why should I care about your leanings? Don’t hurt anyone else and be happy. That’s what I hope for all of us. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

This is incredibly hollow considering how little the league has done to actual encourage players to be openly gay and support them.

Isn’t this a step in the right direction though?  They have to start somewhere. At least it brought to my awareness that there was a LGBTQ History Month. I had no idea this has been a thing since 1994. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Isn’t this a step in the right direction though?  They have to start somewhere. At least it brought to my awareness that there was a LGBTQ History Month. I had no idea this has been a thing since 1994. 

Had a job where we needed to know what all of the companies initiatives were and were given a quiz I was supposed to pass.  I constantly gave wrong answer on it and got comment from upper management. I asked if they were charging my time on it to customer and they said no (it was illegal). I asked if I could be let go for something I was supposed to do on my own time not directly related to job function and answer was no.  I told him I will give a new wrong answer next month.  They finally dropped it.

Basically ignore it if it does not apply to you and does not interest you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Just wondering if it will trigger as much outrage as kneeling did. Probably not, because it’s not as easy as claiming patriotism. 

Starting a thread and then trying to bring politics into it? Geez dude. 

Can we just talk football instead?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Starting a thread and then trying to bring politics into it? Geez dude. 

Can we just talk football instead?

Where is there anything about politics?  Patriotism is not politics. There are plenty of threads talking Xs and Os. Knock yourself out. 

Edited by WotAGuy

38 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

It is a safe step and isn't relevant to any gay players in the league. I'm not political about sports but I loathe it when people or organizations wear causes on their sleeve but don't really want to take any actions that might inconvenience them or expose their interests to risk.

Edited by Rochesterian Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

It is a safe step and isn't relevant to any gay players in the league. I'm not political about sports but I loathe it when people or organizations wear causes on their sleeve but don't really want to take any actions that might inconvenience them or expose their interests to risk.

I don’t see how this “isn’t relevant to any gay players in the league”. Isn’t that for those players to decide? 

I have no idea what it’s like to be a gay man playing in the NFL, but growing up on football in the late 60s, I heard gay players existed but they had to hide it from their peers. Society was a little farther ahead, but not much. 

I would think gay NFL players would appreciate this, even if it’s a token effort as a start. 

I think the NFL is exposing itself to risk by promoting this because there are fans who “quit” the NFL over the kneeling issue. I would not be surprised if there are fans who will “quit” the NFL over this as well. 

Edited by WotAGuy

I mean, from a purely marketing stand point it makes sense that an organization with such a great track record or having openly gay players would seek to be on the cutting edge....

For instance? Remember that time that player got drafted entirely for his sexual orientation and then was made a huge focus of the offseason and training camp even though he sucked at football? 
Man, that equality really warmed my heart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2