McBeane: 25-23, 2 playoff trips, drafted/developed potential HOF QB, all during complete teardown and rebuild

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

What in tarnation are you talking about?

Tar-Nation? Y’all from North Carolina? 

• Haha (+1) 2

Look - i'm as happy as the next guy that we are pointing in the right direction. Years of being a Bills fan basically makes me care very little for anything that isn't a SB win. We could have a 12-4 record this year and I'd still think we're underdogs to make it to the show, let alone win it. 

If nothing else - this year - with the schedule we have - will 100% reveal how real our teams improvement has been and it's overall standing in the hierarchy. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes, I was referring to the regular season over the first three seasons, which is kind of the "standard" length of time for a rebuild.  This year the rebuild is obviously over. We've arrived.  

And I said POTENTIAL hall of fame quarterback, and I stand by that.  I've been with the Bills since the Bullough years, and this is the real deal folks.  Barring a series of catastrophic injuries, we are about to win, and win BIG.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Unbelievable results when you step back and take a look at the big picture.  These guys are due for some major awards if this season continues on its current trajectory.

Yeah, sometimes we forget what McD had to work with when looking at his win-loss record as the Bills HC.

Two years ago, we had the lowest active cap spending in the NFL and arguably the worst roster.  McD did a fine job of coaching just to get to six wins.  Every one of those wins was against a team with a pricier group of players. 

Coaches shouldn't be judged solely on wins and losses.  They should be judged on wins and losses versus the talent on the roster.    There's no way to prove this, but I believe McD has earned more wins from his Bills squads than an average NFL coach would have with the same rosters.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yeah, sometimes we forget what McD had to work with when looking at his win-loss record as the Bills HC.

Two years ago, we had the lowest active cap spending in the NFL and arguably the worst roster.  McD did a fine job of coaching just to get to six wins.  Every one of those wins was against a team with a pricier group of players. 

Coaches shouldn't be judged solely on wins and losses.  They should be judged on wins and losses versus the talent on the roster.    There's no way to prove this, but I believe McD has earned more wins from his Bills squads than an average NFL coach would have with the same rosters.  

I believe it too. Particularly the first two years those teams outplayed their talent level significantly.

And 25-23 is insane for the first three years of a rebuild, insanely good. If you look at arguably the most successful rebuild of all time, where the third year was a Super Bowl victory, the first three years - including that Super Bowl season - were 21 - 27. Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys rebuild put up 19 wins the first three years. 

I do disagree with one thing from the OP. This was absolutely a rebuild. But it wasn't a complete one. Keeping Tyrod, and Shady as well, showed that very clearly. I wanted them to rebuild completely. Time has vindicated their methods and made my objection irrelevant.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1