Revisting 2019 Draft - D.K. Metcalf?

17 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Why won’t poster’s admit they were wrong here? I have no problem admitting I was wrong about Allen. 

Because they've linked their identity to this team and to admit being wrong is a direct blow to their fragile ego.  

That, or they think mom's basement must be insulated from the challenges of the outside world.  

I don't care about DK and I can't tell you how trying to develop him and Josh at the same time works out.  He landed in the best spot possible.  

You know what matters?

The best WR in this division after Diggs is.....Devonte Parker.

We don't have to deal with DK or Nuke or Hill or Thomas or Julio or Adams twice a year. 

But can the Jets win some freaking games so this division avoids Lawrence entering it?

Burrow ending up in the AFC is tough enough.  Can these young QBs end up in the NFC please?

Last 3-4 years:

AFC:

Mahomes

Watson

Baker 

Allen

Darnold 

Lamar 

Burrow 

Tua

Herbert

Lock

In the NFC:

Kyler

Goff

Wentz

Daniel Jones

Trubisky  

Haskins

I miss anyone?

• Like (+1) 1

Anybody saying they knew DK Metcalf would be legit hopefully also recognizes that he was an insanely risky pick and extremely unlikely to do the things he’s currently doing.

He had basically zero college production.

His 3 cone drill was worse than some O-linemen’s, meaning he couldn’t change direction at all.

Changing direction is kind of important in route running.

He had problems with injuries.

Theres a reason he slipped to the end of the second round. He had BUST written all over him.

Instead, he turned out to be great. Just like Josh Allen and Russel Wilson, people had their concerns and they were wrong. End of story.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Why won’t poster’s admit they were wrong here? I have no problem admitting I was wrong about Allen. 

Then I come in this thread and people are throwing around the old “hindsight” 

nah, it’s not hindsight when I spent the whole summer before his draft arguing with y’all, saying we should draft him even if we have the first overall pick. 

you can’t sign a player like him in free agency but we have 5 guards every year picked up from other teams or traded/released because we have too many. Spain, teller, Long, Winters, etc.  that’s enough guard depth Ford is not essential but DK would have been a dream with Allen

Even though he was a trade, Mr. Diggs is on line one waiting to speak with you, madame.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Anybody saying they knew DK Metcalf would be legit hopefully also recognizes that he was an insanely risky pick and extremely unlikely to do the things he’s currently doing.

His 3 cone drill was worse than some O-linemen’s, meaning he couldn’t change direction at all.

Theres a reason he slipped to the end of the second round. He had BUST written all over him.

Instead, he turned out to be great. Just like Josh Allen and Russel Wilson, people had their concerns and they were wrong. End of story.

DK and Wilson produced just fine compared to Allen who is on a different level for what you’re saying. 

Having said that, I repeatedly outlined why his “shortcomings” were not only overblown, but not detrimental to an NFL receiver’s success. I don’t know what else you have to do to not have “hindsight” be the response. 

The lack of production was due mostly to injuries in 2 out of 3 seasons. This was also not a concern for me as they seemed like bad luck and not something reoccurring. 

41 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Gm’s gonna gm on message boards. They “scout” ya know and they know better than the guys being paid millions to make these decisions. 

They like to pay themselves on the back that he was drafted to the Seattle Russell Wilson’s.  If it wasn’t Metcalf, it would be someone else.  Just like it is every other year.  

he’s good, don’t get me wrong, but he wouldn’t be getting the same kind of love as he is right now if he was on just about any other team.  Stay healthy big man.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

No bro...people KNEW.  I’ve read it here.  They wanted him #9 overall because they could tell he was a superstar

25 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I wasn’t sold on DK either, but I also wanted the Bills to pick Calvin Ridley in 2018, instead they used the pick to trade up to take Edmunds in 2018. They ended up with Diggs, I think it’s worked out just fine.

Edited by Motor26

For those posters who keep posting to remind others that they were right about DK; broke clocks are right twice a day. 

I am glad for DK. He went to the perfect situation and has developed. Seems like a fine guy. If DK had been selected by the Bills who knows what his career would look like today. Glad for DK and for the Bills. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

6 hours ago, Chemical said:

Wow Seattle’s guards just won the game

Did they give Wilson time to throw.  It takes a team to win a game.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

No bro...people KNEW.  I’ve read it here.  They wanted him #9 overall because they could tell he was a superstar

Yes and people wanted Rosen because he was the "right Josh"

Edited by formerlyofCtown

It was a strange and muddled WR class the 2019 one. You had Metcalf who was all potential and raw ability but had question marks in terms of production, route running and health. You had AJ Brown who was the best route runner but had question marks about his ability to play outside and speed concerns . You had Harry who was a contested catch guy but who lacked elite athleticism or separation skill and you had Marquise Brown who was all speed but with hands and physicality questions.

I had AJ and DK a step above Harry and Hollywood but I always felt that it was about scheme fits to an extent for all of them. I was probably too low on AJ (who I had as a borderline 1st/2nd) and DK (high 2nd). They both look like NFL #1 receivers. Ironically the NFL was even more confused because Hollywood and Harry came off the board before the other two. I actually mocked AJ Brown to the Pats at one point and man am I glad they didn't pick him. I think he'd have been a perfect fit in that O.

EDIT: Just to develop that point further..... I think if you swapped DK and AJ round they would have both found it a little tougher. Not that they wouldn't still have made plays and been productive but AJ had 1,000 yards and 8 TDs as a rook and DK had 900 yards and 7. I think that level of immediate production was in part because they landed in perfect spots. AJ is a precise route runner in a scheme in Tennessee that is founded on some old school west coast principles and schemes guys open if they are precise enough. DK is as @BADOLBILZ refers to him a "match up nightmare" who gets deep and is physical at the point of attack and can win 1v1 which is perfect for a Seattle scheme that emphasises precision much less and asks its receivers to just go mano a mano against the DBs and get open. If you offered them a re-draft Baltimore would pick DK instead of Hollywood and New England would pick AJ instead of Harry.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chemical said:

Diggs was a free agent?

Edit: I don’t understand why a trade would be worth bringing up here 

I think the point is the same as mine.  ProBowl level talent at WR is readily available.  Just look across the league at how many teams are stacked at WR.  This past off-season two of the top 10 WRs possibly top 5 were available via trade.  When was the last time you could say that about OL.

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Gm’s gonna gm on message boards. They “scout” ya know and they know better than the guys being paid millions to make these decisions. 

It's not like the Bills are being looked at as the model for how you rebuild.  Oh wait...

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Kudos to those who realized none of that mattered. lol, cone drill.

Kid would be lighting it up with JA right now.  No reason to believe otherwise.

• Like (+1) 3

And Claypool went a few picks before Epanesa but trading up for him seems like it would’ve been the play.  He’s even more versatile than Metcalf (scored on an end-around yesterday plus 3 receiving TDs and another one wiped out by a BS OPI call).  Espanesa looks five times smaller than he did last year and can’t get off blocks - he’s Maybin without the speed right now...