Revisting 2019 Draft - D.K. Metcalf?

1 minute ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

C'mon, REALLY??? You're going to start second guessing the front office that's gotten us to 4-0, and what could be a deep playoff run??

"Trust the process", Mafioso!!

Love is blind, and there is no accounting for taste

I’m still not sold DK is that good. Russel Wilson makes some average receivers look awfully good at times. This isn’t a dig on Metcalf or calling him average he’s made plays when called upon. But he’s targeted quite a bit there and surely would not have been targeted that heavily here. I don’t do a ton of Seattle watching but for fantasy purposes I’ve seen metcalf targeted last year like 100 times and catching 55 or somewhere around there.  Wilson has a great knack on those deep balls and Seattle also does a great job scheming guys open deep. Last year sure it was easy, Ford or Metcalf and we desperately needed one more weapon here. This year I’m not as sure. Ford seems to have locked down the guard spot and we’re not short on weapons. So I guess going back I would stick with what we got. Similar to other takes on players it’s the perfect landing spot for DK in Seattle. Outside maybe Green Bay I’m not sure he makes the same impact anywhere else as he wouldn’t see as many targets per game in a lot of places 

I personally wasn't high on Metcalf. He looked like an incredible physical specimen. But he didn't look like a fluid route runner...no...he wasn't a fluid route runner. And he was terrible in contested catch situations in college.

Seems like his success is due to Seattle being smart and asking him to do what he's good at...running in a straight line and having Wilson, with a beautiful deep ball, toss it to him. Granted, I haven't watched a lot of Seahawks games this year, but every time I see a highlight, it follows this pattern.

I could definitely be wrong, but that's what I've seen personally. Yav, in my opinion, made a great player comparison. David Boston.

I was screaming to draft DK Metcalf.  I argued all off season here with people who didn’t know what they were talking about with DK and kept telling them he’s the best WR in draft and true number 1 WR talent.  I was fine taking Oliver though at 9, but I was pleading to trade up to get Metcalf when he slid to second round.  

However, Ford was a first round graded talent, expected go between 15 and 25 in most mocks.  The second I saw we traded up and saw him still on the board I knew it was for Ford.  And I was ok with that because protecting Allen was also highly important.

But then he continued to fall, and I was screaming to trade up for this gift. Ultimately we didn’t, and of course we landed Motor and Knox in the third.  Both of which I was also excited for. 

But I left that draft knowing we missed a chance to get a special and rare talent in DK while also still being quite pleased with our draft.  

Personally, I do think it worked out for the better.  I would LOVE to have DK on this roster, but NOT at the expense of Diggs.  As great as DK is, he’s not in the same class as Diggs who is excellent in every single phase of being a WR, including contested catches.  That’s not a knock on DK, that’s just how good Diggs is, who I believe is a top 5 WR and will be for years to come.  And I love Motor and Ford still has a chance to be very good at guard.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He could be, his story is hardly complete at this point and his current incredibly built frame might not last very long.    I always marveled at David Boston, thought he would b a real star for years.

He could be, his story is hardly complete at this point and his current incredibly built frame might not last very long.    I always marveled at David Boston, thought he would b a real star for years.

David Boston was the product of PEDs as is Metcalf. Hence the comparison 

• Like (+1) 1

All I know is that leading up to the draft I enjoyed making fun of DK's three cone drill times. I was dead wrong, he is a star in the making.

Who knows if he would have developed here especially with the youth and inexperience and type of offense we ran. Seattle was a good place for him to land. I think he'd thrive with the 2020 Bills but I still really like our receivers

• Like (+1) 1

There is no way Metcalf has the same impact on our offense as Diggs. Metcalf is very good at what he does. But he is basically a guy who runs downfield routes. Diggs is a precision route runner who runs the whole route tree. 

I was against Metcalf at #9. I was not against him in round 2 and he was a potential skill set fit for Allen (although nowhere is he a better fit than Seattle). 

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was screaming to draft DK Metcalf.  I argued all off season here with people who didn’t know what they were talking about with DK and kept telling them he’s the best WR in draft and true number 1 WR talent.  I was fine taking Oliver though at 9, but I was pleading to trade up to get Metcalf when he slid to second round.  

However, Ford was a first round graded talent, expected go between 15 and 25 in most mocks.  The second I saw we traded up and saw him still on the board I knew it was for Ford.  And I was ok with that because protecting Allen was also highly important.

But then he continued to fall, and I was screaming to trade up for this gift. Ultimately we didn’t, and of course we landed Motor and Knox in the third.  Both of which I was also excited for. 

But I left that draft knowing we missed a chance to get a special and rare talent in DK while also still being quite pleased with our draft.  

Personally, I do think it worked out for the better.  I would LOVE to have DK on this roster, but NOT at the expense of Diggs.  As great as DK is, he’s not in the same class as Diggs who is excellent in every single phase of being a WR, including contested catches.  That’s not a knock on DK, that’s just how good Diggs is, who I believe is a top 5 WR and will be for years to come.  And I love Motor and Ford still has a chance to be very good at guard.  

I still think AJ Brown is the best receiver out of that class.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You do you, man.

Just watch the blood pressure. You seem angry.

He doesn’t seem angry to me.  

Looks to me like you pulled the almost adult version of “u mad bro?”  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Yav said:

David Boston was the product of PEDs as is Metcalf. Hence the comparison 

Yeah the transformation of  his physique off the bell curve, like Brian Cushing.  Furthermore human bodys can only take so much strain which is what really ended Boston's career.    It will take a while but he will get busted if he has/is doing it, it took a decade plus to finally crack Lance Armstrong.

2 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

So, watching what D.K. Metcalf has done so far this season and listening to Russell Wilson, I was looking over the 2019 draft and was thinking about our picks. Metcalf went #64 - last player chosen in Round 2. We took Ed Oliver Round 1 and Cody Ford Round 2. 

Would we change anything? If we took Metcalf, probably not make the trade for Diggs? Is Metcalf more "valuable" than Oliver or Ford? Thoughts??

I wanted Metcalf.  I didn’t think he would be the bust that some predicted.   It does make you wonder whether he turns out any differently with a raw Josh Allen as his QB, as opposed to Big Russ.  I think he still turns out to be ok 

He’s what I thought he’d be once I saw he was drafted to join Russell Wilson.  The one thing that I was worried about hasn’t happened yet.  He’s remained healthy after only being able to play 2 games, 12 games then 7 games in his 3 year college career. In the last 5 years, he’s had foot surgery (that caused him to miss all but 2 games his freshman year), neck surgery (which ended his junior year after 7 games) and a minor knee surgery before his rookie season. Has there ever been a body building WR that had a good nfl career?  His agility testing was scary bad.  At that position, poor agility is a bad trait to have  While there were obvious reason TO draft him, there were also obvious reasons NOT to draft him.  I think we did the right thing by drafting an OL with a nasty streak to help protect their franchise qb for the foreseeable future.  Our WRs are amazing.  I’m happy.  

I’d love to see how amazing he’d be with the jets 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm fine with Ford either at guard or tackle.

I didn't like Oliver pick then and still have mixed feelings. DT is second hardest position to develop in NFL second only to QB. So it is way too early to know how Oliver will pan out long term. 

I'm normally a trade down guy but that draft they should have traded up for Josh Allen DE. Once he was gone they should have passed on Oliver and traded down and taken Fant in the mid teens. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm fine with Ford either at guard or tackle.

I didn't like Oliver pick then and still have mixed feelings. DT is second hardest position to develop in NFL second only to QB. So it is way too early to know how Oliver will pan out long term. 

I'm normally a trade down guy but that draft they should have traded up for Josh Allen DE. Once he was gone they should have passed on Oliver and traded down and taken Fant in the mid teens. 

Oliver is better than you think he is.