What's your favorite nut?

Royale with Cheese

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have no idea what a filbert is

You might know them as hazelnuts. When I was a kid, my parents would buy bags of mixed nuts, still in the shells. The mix included almonds, walnuts, filberts, Brazil nuts, pecans, and maybe something else.

• Like (+1) 1

Peanuts are not nuts but legumes despite name " Ground Nut Legume".  I leaned a lot about peanuts in high school in research project on George Washington Carver.  They are not even called peanuts in other countries unless on imports from US.

My list:

• Hazel nut - very heart healthy and great mixed in chocolate.
  • Cacao nut - used to make chocolate
  • Almond nut - raw (very good sliced in salads) and roasted (Tamari or hickory smoke my favorites)
  • Coconut - yes it is a fruit and a nut
  • Macadamia nuts - had fresh ones in Hawaii and there is a difference

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't be a db....legumes count.

I love pistachios.  The problem is they are expensive and I eat like 100 of them each time.  I eat it like sunflower seeds where I put the shell in my mouth, crack it open with my teeth and get the nut in my mouth....spit out the shell.   Of course the really difficult shells, I break it open with my fingers....I am not wasting a good nut.

What nuts do you guys like?

A busted one.

• Haha (+1) 2

Favorite nuts are the ones who believe that aliens are mathematically possible.  Have they not heard of phosphorous and/or about 1000 other things?

27 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Escaped her basement.  What year is it?  Is Trent really an MVP candidate?

Careful she will find you.

2020 but don't ask.

No.  Turns out he was a glove wearing Mary.

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Escaped her basement.  What year is it?  Is Trent really an MVP candidate?

Holy crap It Is ALIVE!!!

Nice to see you around, Sage. 

I actually like most nuts (I will NOT include legumes).  Filbert. Brazil. Almond., Pecan. Walnut. Pistachio. ETC.

Why are there no red pistachios? Because we suddenly discovered we didn't need to get our hands stained with that red crap, once they started selling natural pistachios. That's why!

And while I like them, I consider cashews and macadamias, the overrated nuts. They're fine. Not sure why they get all that hype. I also find them less versatile, but that could just be me. I also think pignolis' have a more limited use but are valuable at the same time. 

Never been able to cozy up to a chestnut. Love the roasting, and the smell. But no go-on the eating.

Coconuts? Sure, they are technically nuts. But c'mon man. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I have pistachios as #1, followed by almonds. I have no idea what a filbert is, so I’ll go peanut as #3 at a place where I can have a beer and throw the shells on the floor. There is something liberating about that! 

For those who want to (or have to) go “there”, it’s like your kids......you can’t play favorites! 

Filbert is a Halzenut, mmmm

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Peanuts are not nuts but legumes despite name " Ground Nut Legume".  I leaned a lot about peanuts in high school in research project on George Washington Carver.  They are not even called peanuts in other countries unless on imports from US.

My list:

• Hazel nut - very heart healthy and great mixed in chocolate.
  • Cacao nut - used to make chocolate
  • Almond nut - raw (very good sliced in salads) and roasted (Tamari or hickory smoke my favorites)
  • Coconut - yes it is a fruit and a nut
  • Macadamia nuts - had fresh ones in Hawaii and there is a difference

Cacao is not a nut, it is a fruit and you roast the seeds to make chocolate. Cashew is also not a nut but the seed of the Cashew fruit (which makes a nice juice BTW) and that seed is poisonous unless processed so you NEVER eat raw Cashew off the fruit!

Sorry to be that guy but we grow both of these fruits as well as most of these nuts so love to give a little information on them.

Since we are naming tons of not true nuts I will still add them in:

My list:

Coconut

Halzenut 

Macadamia 

Walnut

Almond

Pecan

Brazil Nut

Pistachio

Not real nuts but delicious:

Peanut

Cashew

Pine Nut

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyone ever tried boiled peanuts?  My wife (well my girlfriend at that time) and I were on our way to a weekend trip to Charleston.  We were about half way there, and we stopped at a gas station in the middle of nowhere.  Saw a sign for boiled peanuts.  Regular or Cajun.  

Neither of us had ever heard of boiled peanuts, so we asked the lady at the register if they were good.  She said (in a heavy southern accent) “They’re like peanuts, but they’re boiled.”  I still have never tried a boiled peanut 😂

Yes.  Not bad.  Went to the JAX game a bunch of years ago, they were selling them along the road side. My brother stopped get some.  The spicy ones... Dude selling them scooped them out of a cooler warm.  I just remember they were kinda messy.  Poor rental car, LoL...

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

A busted one.

Also my personal favorite!:wub:

38 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Actually,l I have two favorite nuts, but if I name them I'll get more warning points.

Is there any truth to the rumor that black walnuts must undergo a name change?

Sure, could change it to the color of the nut...white walnut? 

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Watching Brokeback Mountain?

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Like I'd ever watch that without you.  I remember the pact.

Can I be your guy's popcorn holder? I'll sit in the middle with it in my lap, xxxtra movie butter flavor🍿

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.