AC/DC on GMFB = Super Bowl halftime?

Cant wait to hear them perform all the hits off of their new 2020 album "Back in Black (lives matter)" 

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. All of the kids I know that age are 100% hip hop.

Its a bummer that rock isnt "cool" anymore. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mr. K said:

Cant wait to hear them perform all the hits off of their new 2020 album "Back in Black (lives matter)" 

Its a bummer that rock isnt "cool" anymore. 

Just scan the radio dial in any city. Rock stations are dying off. Boston is a great example. WBCN and WAAF, both legendary stations, gone.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. All of the kids I know that age are 100% hip hop.

Are you sure hip hop is a thing any more? 🤪 ( I actually have no idea, but I think it's all called rap now from what I can tell...but who knows).  Rap is king right now for kids but there's definitely a chunk of business going to "classic' and alt rock.  Buying record players and vinyl is kind of a thing again for kids (I am talking late teens/early 20's).

If they go rock they will go for a band that kids and over 50ers know like the Foo Fighters... — instead we will see some crap like Billie Eilish w Pink and Gwen Stefani

Edited by Locomark

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just scan the radio dial in any city. Rock stations are dying off. Boston is a great example. WBCN and WAAF, both legendary stations, gone.

Guess new bands aren't really doing rock type music anymore so now it is considered the oldies.

Eventually hip hop and rap will too.

Just the process of music becoming "old" i guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Australia's greatest music export playing at the SB🎸...two things come to mind

1. No brainer - get it done Good(for f**k)all

2. With Josh playing out of his skin - the stars are aligning 

Sydney, Malcolm never gets enough credit.  RIP.  Another one of thsoe a few years ago that left in their mid 60s (64, i blieve).

Gretsch now has a signture model styled after Malcolm, right down to the empty pick up holes. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It shows how irrelevant radio has become for rock bands, even legendary ones. Because 99% of the classic rock format stations that play the crap out of AC/DC won't play a new record by them. So the only way to get the word out...is during a football game.

For an old rock jock like myself it's really sad what radio has become. Back in my day stations would stab each other in the back to be the first to play an album.

Any Syracuse people here? Remember 94 Rock and 95X? Back in the early 80s there was a new Judas Priest album and Tommy Nast at 94 Rock got a deal with the record company to play the album first. 

This was before FedEx, so the only way to express deliver something from NYC was by Greyhound bus. Ted Utz at 95X got wind of this and went to the bus station, said he was Tommy Nast and grabbed the record first! What a crap storm ensued. :lol: Those were the days, man.

I am in that age bracket.  Damn, I loved radio so much.

And no it is not video killed the radio star, as that doesn't really exist anymore.

Meaningless side note, back when Mighty Taco was the original MT and so crazy good I remember riding my bike for miles to go get some MT on transit road, and riding back with a super mighty pack, chips and a large soda and watching live aid on Saturday afternoon.

...good times. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Guess new bands aren't really doing rock type music anymore so now it is considered the oldies.

I agree, I also think the “older” crowd who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s sometimes overlook what is happening to the music industry as a whole. Sure, radio stations are vanishing, but radio is quickly becoming an obsolete medium for better or worse. Online streaming, and the internet as a whole is the new place to find music.

Another factor is the lessening importance of music overall. Today’s generation live in a world with a myriad of entertainment options. Music is nothing more than background noise to them. Music is something many people use only when working, driving, or exercising. That hasn’t stopped a few modern musicians from becoming media driven superstars, but they don’t hold the same cultural significance as past stars. Classic rock albums were works of art, meant to be listened to as a whole. People would sit by the record player, and listen to entire albums as a source of entertainment. Personally, I’m a huge classic rock fan, and love listening to vinyl in the same manner. I know plenty of other younger folks who do the same. However, we’re the music nerds, most people are content with music as background noise. That’s where the real change has occurred.  

Great music from new artists can be found, just don’t expect to hear it on the radio. Classic rock radio has been dying as well, and I couldn’t care less. The rotation of the same songs over and over are tiresome, in a world where music can be found elsewhere. I think of all the great classic rockers with deep catalogs, yet their same hits are on a constant loop. I listen to the radio while working around the house sometimes, but definitely prefer my streaming services where I can listen to anything I choose, rather than Stairway five times a days. Rock music will never die, it will always exist somewhere, just as the work of Bach or Chopin does. However, the way we consume music has changed, and it completely altered what music means to future generations 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That is disturbing

LOL

Those guys are like the Beatles.  Whenever I have seen them show up at award shows or wherever, the screams are out of control.

I'm like my Dad now.  There are so many things were I just furrow my brow and say something like, "I don't get it...."

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It shows how irrelevant radio has become for rock bands, even legendary ones. Because 99% of the classic rock format stations that play the crap out of AC/DC won't play a new record by them. So the only way to get the word out...is during a football game.

For an old rock jock like myself it's really sad what radio has become. Back in my day stations would stab each other in the back to be the first to play an album.

Any Syracuse people here? Remember 94 Rock and 95X? Back in the early 80s there was a new Judas Priest album and Tommy Nast at 94 Rock got a deal with the record company to play the album first. 

This was before FedEx, so the only way to express deliver something from NYC was by Greyhound bus. Ted Utz at 95X got wind of this and went to the bus station, said he was Tommy Nast and grabbed the record first! What a crap storm ensued. :lol: Those were the days, man.

I was selected through their contest to host an hour on 95X in 1979. Had a great time with the host and my friends couldn't believe it. Of course, I came loaded with their requests. Great memories!

Edited by TN-Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The amazing part of this is that Brian Johnson has actually returned to sing. He quit mid-tour last time (2016)and Axl Rose replaced him because he was losing his hearing. He spent 3 years on experimental treatment that has, apparently, created a solution for his hearing loss. I doubt that it would be a good idea for him to tour with the volume that they play at, but a studio album Is a good solution.

Crazy!  I gotta google this.  Saw AC/DC about 6-7 times in the late *0's early 90's.  My ears are STILL ringing....lol.  Obviously I'm pushing the over a bit.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

LOL

Those guys are like the Beatles.  Whenever I have seen them show up at award shows or wherever, the screams are out of control.

I'm like my Dad now.  There are so many things were I just furrow my brow and say something like, "I don't get it...."

They get screams from children, who don't know what talent is.

Honestly I don't even know who these guys are. I feel confident that neither of them plays a musical instrument. They probably don't know what a musical instrument is.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

They get screams from children, who don't know what talent is.

Honestly I don't even know who these guys are. I feel confident that neither of them plays a musical instrument. They probably don't know what a musical instrument is.

I can relate to this post.  WHO are these "guys"????

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

Not true. There are plenty of excellent rock bands out there. Radio just stopped playing them because 90% of US music radio stations are programmed by three or four companies.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Sydney, Malcolm never gets enough credit.  RIP.  Another one of thsoe a few years ago that left in their mid 60s (64, i blieve).

Gretsch now has a signture model styled after Malcolm, right down to the empty pick up holes. 

I am in that age bracket.  Damn, I loved radio so much.

And no it is not video killed the radio star, as that doesn't really exist anymore.

Meaningless side note, back when Mighty Taco was the original MT and so crazy good I remember riding my bike for miles to go get some MT on transit road, and riding back with a super mighty pack, chips and a large soda and watching live aid on Saturday afternoon.

...good times. 

I ate at the original Mighty Taco on Hertel when it was owned by the four founders and had local rock bands like Pegasus working there to pay off their gear.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Average age in this thread o/u 50.5

and they are a great band but I don’t really think they have any appeal to people 30 and under.  But it won’t be the worst choice. 

32 so technically over your arbitrary cutoff age by a bit, but I’d love to see an AC/DC halftime show. 

• Thank you (+1) 1