Week 6: Chiefs at Bills (+5): Monday 5pm on Fox

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Titans Bills -> Week 5 Bills vs Titans Tues 7 pm thread

And oh yeah as per SOP, Ix Nay on the general Ovid-19 Cay

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If they don't test positive they can play. But a confirmed positive test means you sit for 14 days, symptoms or not.

thats not true PTR

Its all symptoms based on return time. 

see: Falcons player who returned after 13 days WITH symptoms

Edited by PaattMaann

If the league was willing to make the Patriots fly back and forth on game day, then all options about when they play are on the table.  How it hampers or helps a team's preparation and time isn't going to be the dominating factor.  Ratings are.  As sad as it makes me, this feels like a Sunday at 1p game.  The 1p slate has Cle v Pit and nothing else watching from top teams competing.  The 4p slot is out because of Brady v Rodgers.. The 8p slot is the battle of California: LA Rams v 9ers (big markets).   Monday night has the NFL-fawned over Cowboys playing (love 'em or hate 'em they are playing wild games and Cowboys have nationwide appeal).  Feels like 1p to me. 

14 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

This is complete horseshit!

This may determine home field and we don't even know who and when we may be playing, and at no fault of our own.

Someone needs to eviscerate Goodell over this

Keep in mind if the Tennessee game got moved to later in the year or we received a forfeit .. KC would have been the disadvantaged team as we would have had additional prep time. There is no perfect solution for a messed up situation

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

we’re in the midst of a pandemic.  Not everything is going to be fair this year. Some teams will get screwed.  In this case, we got screwed.  Maybe we’ll be on the other end next time

If you're looking for positives, let's keep in mind that we have a two game lead on New England that might very well be only one game if Newton had played.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I think this is where Josh Allen's pure love of the game gives us an advantage.  

Tuesday night, short prep time for the league's best team, general uncertainty - just observing him so far, I don't think any of it will bother him a bit.  He strikes me as the kind of player that just wants to know when kickoff is & can't wait to get out there.

That's really how the whole team has to be this season.  No matter what happens, you just have to roll with it and play the game whenever they tell you to, and with whoever you have.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is that correct.  So no Cam this week for example?

That's my understanding. I might be wrong. But Cam tested positive more than 14 days before the Bills game. However Stephon Gilmore did not.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

44 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

This is where I'm getting confused. I know the ones on IR for covid are out, Humphries and Davis are the biggest names on offense, Simmons and Corea(sp?) on defense. But as I asked before, what happens to those caught on camera i.e. Tannehill, Brown etc

Even if the NFL speeds up its usual investigation/decision process 10x, expect nothing to happen for a month.

Even then - this is a cynical view - it may depend upon the Titans record.

The NFL is interested in viewers.  To keep viewers, it must keep quality product.  Disciplining the best players on an unbeaten team is not how you do that thing.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's my understanding. I might be wrong. But Cam tested positive more than 14 days before the Bills game. However Stephon Gilmore did not.

it is not correct. 14 days isnt a real thing in the NFL. its a symptom based timeline combined with two consecutive negative tests 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Finally found this directly from NFL

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/return-to-play/testing-screening-treatment/

I don't see 14 days in here anywhere.

image.thumb.png.0bb6850f64820d5dceb58bfce0f5e4b2.png

IMHO, this difference incentivises players to deny symptoms while out of the facility. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

we’re in the midst of a pandemic.  Not everything is going to be fair this year. Some teams will get screwed.  In this case, we got screwed.  Maybe we’ll be on the other end next time

I get that and this clearly isn't the Chiefs fault but the Titans having the league bend over backwards to help Themis absurd.  I wouldn't even mind that if they caught this innocently and then followed the rules.  What the NFL is doing with the Pats now is reasonable.  

The Titans shoved the rules back in the face of the NFL and said FU.  Being in the midst of a pandemic has nothing to do with how the Titans responded.  For this the Bills receive the disadvantage and to a lesser extent the Steelers and Chiefs?  And thus far the Titans haven't even received a sternly worded letter.  It's a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

I get that and this clearly isn't the Chiefs fault but the Titans having the league bend over backwards to help Themis absurd.  I wouldn't even mind that if they caught this innocently and then followed the rules.  What the NFL is doing with the Pats now is reasonable.  

The Titans shoved the rules back in the face of the NFL and said FU.  Being in the midst of a pandemic has nothing to do with how the Titans responded.  For this the Bills receive the disadvantage and to a lesser extent the Steelers and Chiefs?  And thus far the Titans haven't even received a sternly worded letter.  It's a joke.

Just because thing haven't been announced to fans doesn't mean things aren't in motion to bring the hammer down on the Titans.

But the games are always going to get played if at all possible, including shuffling other games around. I really don't get why people are so unhappy. Playing other teams off of short rest is common even outside if a pandemic year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The titans will be punished.  Rest assured.  So that’s all you’re upset about?  Because they haven’t been punished.....yet?

If you were Goodell, how would you have handled this?  Just have the titans forfeit?  Well, that’s not fair to the patriots or possibly other WC teams.  The chiefs would be screwed because the Bills would have several extra days rest, not just two.

im not happy about having to be at a disadvantage because a team blatantly violated the rules, but the fact of the matter is this:  someone was getting screwed because of this.....No matter what.  Teams will continue to get screwed because of covid.  Some teams will benefit.  Just get through this season.  Please

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Just because thing haven't been announced to fans doesn't mean things aren't in motion to bring the hammer down on the Titans.

But the games are always going to get played if at all possible, including shuffling other games around. I really don't get why people are so unhappy. Playing other teams off of short rest is common even outside if a pandemic year.

Lol all the "motion" so far has been bending over backwards to help the Titans.  

I read there are security tapes/recordings of activity at the Titans facility.  I'm sure the league knows exactly what to do with those.  They've got experience galore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I think the way the league looks at it isn't bending over backwards to help the Titans.  They're trying to 1) preserve and maintain the schedule for all the teams 2) if they are gonna play, avoid and minimize injuries to the players who have not been practicing.

A canceled game could really screw the Bills over if the season is decided by percentage.  A game stuffed onto the end of the season could screw the Bills over if they would otherwise get a bye in that time.  A forfeit would screw over the Steelers who didn't get one. 

I just think it's a crappy situation with no perfect solutions, but the one which was found is actually the one which I thought made the most sense.  It's way better for the Bills to say "OK, we're playing Tuesday IF no more positive tests" than it is to say "OK, maybe you're playing Sunday...or Monday...or Tuesday...if they get a positive test Fri but not Sat maybe you'll still play..." that would be horrid.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The titans will be punished.  Rest assured.  So that’s all you’re upset about?  Because they haven’t been punished.....yet?

If you were Goodell, how would you have handled this?  Just have the titans forfeit?  Well, that’s not fair to the patriots or possibly other WC teams.  The chiefs would be screwed because the Bills would have several extra days rest, not just two.

im not happy about having to be at a disadvantage because a team blatantly violated the rules, but the fact of the matter is this:  someone was getting screwed because of this.....No matter what.  Teams will continue to get screwed because of covid.  Some teams will benefit.  Just get through this season.  Please

I think the biggest complaint, at least from me, is that the Bills are living in a ton of uncertainty that isn't unnecessary. If the league said,

"We made a decision today, we are going to try and get this game in this weekend, but we need to prove incredibly healthy. We are 100% moving the KC game to Sunday/Monday/whatever. No matter what happens from here on out, KC v. Buffalo is on the calendar on this day at this time. Players who we can 100% confirm were at the out of facility practice, breaking COVID protocol will not be playing due to inherent risks to both the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Players who have tested positive at any point for Tennessee in the last 10 days will be held out of this weeks game due to organizational failure to adhere to and respect our covid protocols. The league will be personally managing the test results from the Titans moving forward. If there is a single positive test between today and Monday, this game will be cancelled. We will announce when or if we will play a make up game later in the year"

We would all be fine. But as of right now the Bills might play KC on Thursday or Sunday, and we won't know until this Sunday and we won't know if we play Tennessee until basically Tuesday. It does not have to be that way though. 

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

hey, when’s the last time an NFL game took place on a Tuesday?

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

Only been one. 2010 Vikings/Eagles delayed by a blizzard.

Last night I read the only other Tuesday NFL game was in 2010. This morning, Nick Wojtan from USA Today Bills Wire claims this will be the NINTH Tuesday games, but does not list them:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/09/tennessee-titans-update-no-new-covid-positive-friday/

Edited by The Dean

I'm wondering if "later in the weekend" means another Monday night double header. I'm also wondering if the Tuesday night game will be broadcast nationally. I have gamepass, but it's always better to watch live so you don't know the final score. Then again, I might have a heart attack watching us blow another big lead before a last minute comeback.

How do we know that the Titans need a spanking if we don't know how the virus was contracted or do we?

Edited by GreggTX

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the biggest complaint, at least from me, is that the Bills are living in a ton of uncertainty that isn't unnecessary. If the league said,

"We made a decision today, we are going to try and get this game in this weekend, but we need to prove incredibly healthy. We are 100% moving the KC game to Sunday/Monday/whatever. No matter what happens from here on out, KC v. Buffalo is on the calendar on this day at this time. Players who we can 100% confirm were at the out of facility practice, breaking COVID protocol will not be playing due to inherent risks to both the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Players who have tested positive at any point for Tennessee in the last 10 days will be held out of this weeks game due to organizational failure to adhere to and respect our covid protocols. The league will be personally managing the test results from the Titans moving forward. If there is a single positive test between today and Monday, this game will be cancelled. We will announce when or if we will play a make up game later in the year"

We would all be fine. But as of right now the Bills might play KC on Thursday or Sunday, and we won't know until this Sunday and we won't know if we play Tennessee until basically Tuesday. It does not have to be that way though. 

Having the chiefs game date still in flux is what frustrates me the most as well, but in this case, while we may not have ample prep time, we’ll likely have an advantage over the chiefs if we play on Thursday.  They’d have played on Sunday and we’d have had almost 2 weeks off.

If the titans test positive Saturday or Sunday, we’ll have more prep time than KC and have lots of rest. Advantage Bills.

If the titans test positive Monday or Tuesday, the chiefs will have more prep time, but will have much less rest.  advantage - even or us imo

if no positive tests and we play Tuesday and Sunday- advantage Chiefs.  

With the nfl keeping the game in flux, at least we can be the beneficiary in some cases.

It’s a tough spot.  From the beginning, I thought the nfl screwed up by making the schedule business as usual.  The league should’ve implemented additional bye weeks and made a schedule that would allow for easier changes.  Yet here we are, let’s get through it.  If the chiefs having a couple extra days prep and rest is the worst case scenario, it’s not THAT bad.  With Monday/Thursday night games and bye weeks teams have that advantage/disadvantage on a yearly basis and it’s rarely equal

• Like (+1) 2