Week 6: Chiefs at Bills (+5): Monday 5pm on Fox

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Titans Bills -> Week 5 Bills vs Titans Tues 7 pm thread

And oh yeah as per SOP, Ix Nay on the general Ovid-19 Cay

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I am so ready for a defensive score. When was the last one? Not special teams but defense?

I’ve been bringing this up almost in a weekly basis. We are sooooooo due for this. If I’m not mistaken the last defensive td was late in 2017 when Poyer picked Brady. We had 3 defensive td’s that year and haven’t had one since. 

That’s an oddly long draught.  Especially for the secondary we’ve had during that stretch. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The 5:00 time slot is dumb. 👎 I get it from a marketing and broadcast standpoint,  but it really deals a blow to many fans’ game day routines and deflates the excitement (for some, I’m sure). I am of the lucky group that get out of work early enough (3:00) to not feel rushed and get to experience SOME resemblance of my rituals. 

Maybe I’m being dramatic, but after two straight weeks of these random prime time slots, I’m itching for my wheel-house 1:00 Sunday slot ASAP! 

100% agree.   I own a business and best believe I’m dipping out around 4... I’m actually closing the office at 4 so my team can watch the game as I’ve slowly converted them to Bills fans..

...but the 5 pm Monday slot just feels minor league.  This game should have so much hype.  4-1 vs 4-1.  Allen vs Mahomes.  Instead, it feels like an exhibition game.  

Im sure I’ll feel differently on Monday, but as of right now, I just feel meh about what was one of the biggest games on our schedule.  

*some of it could also be existential dread over our defense vs KC.   Really need them to step up.  I’ve always been of the offense over defense mindset, but had no clue how much a terrible defense can drain you as a fan...

Edited by SCBills

43 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I am so ready for a defensive score. When was the last one? Not special teams but defense?

Oh, Lordy.  Now I'm curious, so I'm gonna look that up

October 29, 2017

We had a TD scored as a defensive TD in 2018 by Croom, but upon further review he recovered a Zay Jones fumble in the endzone so in my opinion that doesn't count

[Edit: I'm corrected.  Dec 24 2017 by Po.  On Brady!]

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Lordy.  Now I'm curious, so I'm gonna look that up

October 29, 2017

We had a TD scored as a defensive TD in 2018 by Croom, but upon further review he recovered a Zay Jones fumble in the endzone so in my opinion that doesn't count

Poyer, right? On Brady 

that’s a ridiculous draught 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

14 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Colleen Wolfe on GMFB just said that Milano is out this Monday.  Has Beane said anything definitive about his status?

Would like to know where she gets her info.

In his pre-practice press availability Sean McDermott said "we'll see".

Only player ruled out  is Dawson Knox.

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/sports/bills/dawson-knox-ruled-out-against-chiefs?utm_campaign=sharebutton&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=WGRAM

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Poyer, right? On Brady 

Nope, what I found was Matt Milano!!!

Tre' White had a defensive TD earlier that same month.

But on further review... you're correct, Poyer did have a pick-6 on Brady December of that year.  So I sit corrected!  Dec. 24, 2017, and yes, on Brady!!!!

Happy Birthday to me!  Thank you Po!  May I have another?

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Colleen Wolfe on GMFB just said that Milano is out this Monday.  Has Beane said anything definitive about his status?

If that is true, it must have been a setback.  I believe he practiced in full both Thursday and Friday.  They practice today so that should be pretty telling.

2 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

If that is true, it must have been a setback.  I believe he practiced in full both Thursday and Friday.  They practice today so that should be pretty telling.

Except it contradicts what McDermott just said, and they haven't practiced yet.  I mean, it may be true, but I'd like to know where she got her info.

And McDermott would probably like to know, too!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

last report on twitter 

Sean McDermott addressed the media on Saturday morning and announced that tight end Dawson Knox (calf) will be out for Monday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The rest of the injury report will be announced later on Saturday afternoon.

If you try and get into a shootout with this team, you are going to lose. Mahomes is to good and our defense sucks right now. Everyone falls in love with the passing offense and the score board lighting up..you won’t beat them that way. I realize the raiders just beat them in an exciting way but there were turnovers involved. You can’t just rely on that. Especially with our defense. I think the Bills absolutely need to get the run going this week. It’s not going to be popular and most people are going to say it’s wrong. If you try and get into a scoring and passing war against this team..not only are we going to lose but we are going to get humiliated. With our current defense and Mahomes on the other team, you have to find a way to keep the ball away. And obviously can afford no mistakes and must cash in on those long drives.

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you try and get into a shootout with this team, you are going to lose. Mahomes is to good and our defense sucks right now. Everyone falls in love with the passing offense and the score board lighting up..you won’t beat them that way. I realize the raiders just beat them in an exciting way but there were turnovers involved. You can’t just rely on that. Especially with our defense. I think the Bills absolutely need to get the run going this week. It’s not going to be popular and most people are going to say it’s wrong. If you try and get into a scoring and passing war against this team..not only are we going to lose but we are going to get humiliated. With our current defense and Mahomes on the other team, you have to find a way to keep the ball away. And obviously can afford no mistakes and must cash in on those long drives.

The problem with this, as you said the D is just not good right now, is that even if we have long efficient drives ending in TDs, the Chiefs can score FAST.  I agree that we don't want to just go full air raid and need a balance, but I think the identity of the team now is to air it out and to sprinkle in timely runs.

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm not sad about Knox being out. I think Kroft is more of a dog right now.

I'm not saying I disagree, but I'd like to know what it is about Kroft's play that leads you to say so?

Knox did have a good "angry run" vs. Tenn where he turned a catch on the LOS into 15 yds, stiff-arming a guys and dragging a couple 5 yds on the way.  I believe the pass where the announcer said "he turned the wrong way" was actually deflected at the LOS.  Then there was the high pass he got his hands on and couldn't bring down.

Kroft played 49% of the snaps to Knox 35%.  What did you see him do that says "dog" to you?

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The problem with this, as you said the D is just not good right now, is that even if we have long efficient drives ending in TDs, the Chiefs can score FAST.  I agree that we don't want to just go full air raid and need a balance, but I think the identity of the team now is to air it out and to sprinkle in timely runs.

The identity needs to be: doing what it takes to win games. We are not going to win (this game) playing that way. You have to be able to adapt. The chiefs can’t stop the run and our defense can’t stop anyone. That means, run it. Keep the clock moving, keep our own defense off the field. Keep Mahomes off the field. I would rather have to make a stop on 6 or 7 possessions then having to make a stop on 12 or 13.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not saying I disagree, but I'd like to know what it is about Kroft's play that leads you to say so?

Knox did have a good "angry run" vs. Tenn where he turned a catch on the LOS into 15 yds, stiff-arming a guys and dragging a couple 5 yds on the way.  I believe the pass where the announcer said "he turned the wrong way" was actually deflected at the LOS.  Then there was the high pass he got his hands on and couldn't bring down.

Kroft played 49% of the snaps to Knox 35%.  What did you see him do that says "dog" to you?

Kroft has two game-winning touchdowns for us in big spots: on the road at Pittsburgh last year and this year against the Rams. His hands seem very reliable, and despite the PI, he really showed fight and tough catch ability on that "interception" against the Rams. He also wants to be a more impact player and has the hunger to contribute.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The identity needs to be: doing what it takes to win games. We are not going to win (this game) playing that way. You have to be able to adapt. The chiefs can’t stop the run and our defense can’t stop anyone. That means, run it. Keep the clock moving, keep our own defense off the field. Keep Mahomes off the field. I would rather have to make a stop on 6 or 7 possessions then having to make a stop on 12 or 13.

I agree on limiting possessions, to an extent. I disagree on the way that you do this. I think there are plenty of ways to keep drives moving, and shorten the game, without relying on running the ball. 

Last Tuesday the bills rarely tried to stretch the perimeter via pass OR run (sans the McKenzie TD). And when they did try, it wasn’t successful. 

id like to see a better developed plan to entirely work the field, and put stress on the interior of the defense. 

Additionally, I find it important to recognize that limiting their possessions, in theory, limits our own. Their desire to do so may rely heavily on the flow of the game early on. If they get down, as in with TN, this is not an option. 

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Kroft has two game-winning touchdowns for us in big spots: on the road at Pittsburgh last year and this year against the Rams. His hands seem very reliable, and despite the PI, he really showed fight and tough catch ability on that "interception" against the Rams. He also wants to be a more impact player and has the hunger to contribute.

I’m with you on this. Knox has the excitement factor, but I get tired of holding my breath waiting to see if he catches it. I was reliability in my TE, more so than the occasional wow play, if I’m forced to pick 

• Like (+1) 1