Per today's GM Call Titans likely to be made an example of by NFL...

Big Turk

I’ve gone back and forth, and as much as I want to watch the Bills play this Sunday, the health of the players is simply more important.

There’s no way the Bills players should have to fly to Tennessee and play a team that is STILL seeing new players test positive every day. 

Do I want a cancelled game or a win by forfeit? No. But both sound better than 10 Bills players getting COVID.

I’m onto the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 11

I doubt the League will move the Thursday game to Saturday.

First they already sold that TV time and the sponsors would not be happy.  Thursday Night Football is a big money maker for the league.

Secondly, a Saturday game would be completely out of the question because they couldn't televise it.  The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 exempts the NFL broadcasting rights from antitrust laws.  That act forbids the NFL to broadcast games on Friday nights and Saturdays from the 2nd Friday in September through the 2nd Saturday in December.

I can't figure out why some supposed football pundits even floated that idea.

The only options would be a forfeit, moving the game to week 18 (which would most likely mean adding two weeks in between week 17 and the start of the wild card round) or having the Chiefs play the Bills on Sunday instead of the Raiders and the Titans face the Raiders on Thursday (which would be logistically next to impossible at this point.

Looking at the options the most likely would seem to either make the Titans play on Sunday as scheduled with no practice ahead and the facility closed until that day or a forfeit, which I would hate to see. 

Edited by FlaFitz1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

would you want that?

If the choice is to accept a win by forfeit or play against the Chiefs on three days rest and prep when the Chiefs have five days, I'll take the win by forfeit.

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

I love when people mention the word "Fair".

This team has blatantly disregarded league rules in regards to COVID-19 and put many people at risk, both on and off the field, and they were sat down as a group in a team meeting and were briefed!
"

The Tennessee Titans were informed on Sept. 29 that in-person gatherings had been banned because of the organization's ongoing coronavirus outbreak, a league source told ESPN's Dan Graziano, meaning that the players' informal workouts the following day were unauthorized and a violation of the NFL's virus-related protocols.

A group of Titans players held a workout at a Nashville school on Sept. 30, one day after the organization closed its facility. The Titans have had 23 positive tests for COVID-19 since Sept. 24, with another player testing positive for the virus Thursday, according to ESPN and reports."

Screw what's fair. Whatever punishment the receive, regardless of how severe it may appear to some, is deserved.

I know if I was playing against this team I would not want to take the chance of lining up or tackling.

"Fair". Pfffftttttt.....

Exactly were I'm at as well.

Some forum fans that want to play them still are missing it?  If up to them we play the(Titans) practice squad and win. Then 4 days later say lose Josh Allen and Diggs to COVID for the Chiefs and Jets =  Friggin awesome right?  Real smart idea in my book... smfh

Edit/add -  For the record, If the tides were turned I have no problem with what the league decided as punishment against our team. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

I love when people mention the word "Fair".

This team has blatantly disregarded league rules in regards to COVID-19 and put many people at risk, both on and off the field, and they were sat down as a group in a team meeting and were briefed!
"

The Tennessee Titans were informed on Sept. 29 that in-person gatherings had been banned because of the organization's ongoing coronavirus outbreak, a league source told ESPN's Dan Graziano, meaning that the players' informal workouts the following day were unauthorized and a violation of the NFL's virus-related protocols.

A group of Titans players held a workout at a Nashville school on Sept. 30, one day after the organization closed its facility. The Titans have had 23 positive tests for COVID-19 since Sept. 24, with another player testing positive for the virus Thursday, according to ESPN and reports."

Screw what's fair. Whatever punishment the receive, regardless of how severe it may appear to some, is deserved.

I know if I was playing against this team I would not want to take the chance of lining up or tackling.

"Fair". Pfffftttttt.....

The Titans deserve punishment.....the other teams in the league do not deserve punishment.  You would be punishing the Bills division opponents at a minimum by doing that.

I think the Titans should definitely face a stiff penalty (take away their 1st round pick next year?)… but I really don't like the notion of forfeiting games.  There could be more situations like this as the season goes on.  While awarding a win to one team (in this case the Bills) may be great for that team (who didn't really do anything to deserve it), but isn't really fair to the other teams in the league...especially teams in the same conference, vying for playoff spots and positioning.  

They should just cancel the game, and then have the playoff teams slotted by win percentage.  If enough games are cancelled along the way, add a week 18 and play any missed games that have playoff relevance...no need to have two sub-.500 teams play each other.  It isn't a perfect plan, but forfeit just doesn't seem right to me.   

I just don’t get the fans that think it’s unfair for the titans to have to forfeit. It’s unfair for us to have to add a game on at the end of the year allowing other teams to get an extra bye week right before playoffs. Everyone knew the main opponent this year was having team discipline to fight covid, the titans lost, screw them.

18 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

I just wonder what the league would do if it was the Bills with the virus problem & had violated league protocols ?

The exact same things as with what we are seeing with Tennessee.

The League office doesn't have a hard-on for the Bills.

Edited by Beast

24 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yikes!!

Guesses?  Sounds like wild-ass speculation run amok.  Nothing to see here, I'll believe it if it ever happens - which I doubt. 

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

The exact same things as with what we are seeing with Tennessee.

The League office doesn't have a hard-on for the Bills.

What you mean sit on their fingers and twirl?  The League office may not have a hard-on for the Titans but they don't have a hard-on for cowboying up and making a decision either.