Per today's GM Call Titans likely to be made an example of by NFL...

Big Turk

I go back to that Patriot/Ohio State douche Mike Vrabel getting ultra-defensive with the media last week when people suggested his team might be "to blame" for their covid infections.   

Pretty obvious now that they were at the very least tempting fate with their carelessness.    He deserves a good smack from the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Titans keep getting sick so u must forfeit. I don't want any of our guys or staff going there & getting sick. And i dont think its fair we should jump thru hoops or have our bye week this week either. They might move the game to Mon/Tues, but will the Titans be virus free by then? Doubtful. And then we'd have to move the KC TNF game to Saturday, after hoping none of our guys are infected.

I'm in camp forfeit on this one & i'm 100% totally unbiased! I swear!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/607658612352876558/761985262166212628/EjaE7ITXcAEqhx5.png

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Titans should be docked draft picks

Bills should get those picks for being directly impacted by postponement / reschedule /disruption

Who gets what draft picks? Does one team get a 2nd while the other team gets a third? There isn't a fully equitable solution. I think the NFL docks the Titans their 1st and 3rd round picks in 2021 and a 2nd in 2022. But I don't see them awarding it to other teams.

• Like (+1) 1

The league can reward poor behavior by not penalizing the titans, or they can kick them right square in the arse and put the league on notice, imo they should make them forfeit a game and find the owner a million dollars, that will drive the point home mercilessly, and you can bet your bottom dollar this poor behavior will stop immediately. But it’s the NFL they will likely do next to nothing to correct this issue. 

and give the pats a comp pick as well...

26 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

For everyone saying a forfeit isn't fair - Does it really matter if we are gifted a win by playing a team with 30-40 players who hasn't had any practice all week (hopefully) or just gifted the win period, does it really make a difference?

To the rest of the AFC, of course it makes a difference. That win could be the difference between one team making the playoffs and one team not. It could be the difference between the Bills getting the no. 1 seed and the Chiefs not getting it. And while the Bills fan in me would love that, they didn’t play the actual game that may have got them the seed. 

I would prefer the Bills beat the Titans, when it’s safe to do so, because I believe they can and earn that playoff spot or no. 1 seed.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I’m not really in favor of a forfeit at this point. This early in the season probably isn’t the time to start handing that down. Other teams may have outbreaks, and then what? Forfeiture isn’t a great precedent.

Adding a week at the end of the season isn’t really fair for the reasons stated upthread — other playoff teams could get a rest week while othershave to play. So. What about the league slips in a bye / makeup week into the middle of the season and bump back subsequent weeks, and have any matchups that needed to be rescheduled played there? Depending on how things progress, it might be something to have two bye weekends like this slipped in.

They really ought to have scheduled 2-3 bye weeks from the start, given the givens, anyway.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I will preface by stating I am 100% Bills fan

IMO the Titans should forfeit these two games so their record would be 3-2, let them suffer

I don't however think the Bills and Steelers should be given wins as wins are too tough to come by in the NFL to award a team for doing nothing.  Typically the difference between winning the division and/or getting a wild card comes down to tie breakers like div/conf record, or even points so to give a team a win just seems like too much of an advantage to them and unfair to the other teams.  At the end of the season playoff spots are awarded on winning percentage, Bills are 10-5 played 15 games, and team is 10-6 and played all 16 games.  Bills are ahead of them. (I did just read a column that the NFL is looking at changing playoff seeding to be  based on win percentage so may be heading that way)

MLB, NBA, etc where you're playing 80 to 160 games a year would have little problem awarding a team a win as not nearly as impactful in the grand scheme.

I've been thinking this all along. I see no way the league will give a team a free W. If they gave a forfeit, I think it's as you say, Titans get an L, Bills get a bye and a record based on 15 games.

2 minutes ago, UConn James said:

I’m not really in favor of a forfeit at this point. This early in the season probably isn’t the time to start handing that down.

Adding a week at the end of the season isn’t really fair. So. What about the league slips in a bye / makeup week into the middle of the season and bump back subsequent weeks, and have any matchups that needed to be rescheduled played there? Depending on how things progress, it might be something to have two bye weekends like this.

The Titans should get draft pick fines or something painful but not game result related.

There really is no reason to forfeit games.

And I can't see the $ hungry NFL wanting to give away ANY telecasts and the millions associated with each of them.

Players certainly want to get paid too.   Obviously.

No sense cancelling games just to make sure that the 7 month offseason(way too long as it is) is compromised.

Stretch the season by a few weeks.

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

would you want that?

Do you really want to play them this week?

There is still talk of playing the game Monday...if so I hope Thursdays game is moved to next Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bmur66 said:

Is it true that if the Titans had to forfeit the Bills players would not receive a game check?

Per agreement before the season No.  The teams are not required to pay the players in this situation for games not played.  However, it is vague in saying whether it is up to the team to decide whether to pay them or not or if they cannot do so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JMF2006 said:

Do you really want to play them this week?

There is still talk of playing the game Monday...if so I hope Thursdays game is moved to next Sunday night.

If its safe, yes.  I trust they will figure that out.  If it is not safe to play then something else should happen, just not a forfeit.

Who knows how many Titans are infectious (can spread the virus to others)?  Why threaten the health of the Bills players, the staff, their families, and the WNY community? 

They should NOT play the game.  How the league handles the W/L aspect is an open question.  I think the Titans getting the L and the Bills having a bye is the best bet.  It's very likely the same situation will be coming up all through the season with other teams.  This seems like a proper precedent -- if your team gets sick and you broke the rules, you get an L -- if you did everything right and your team still gets sick, you just get a bye -- and the game is cancelled.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Titans should get draft pick fines or something painful but not game result related.

There really is no reason to forfeit games.

And I can't see the $ hungry NFL wanting to give away ANY telecasts and the millions associated with each of them.

Players certainly want to get paid too.   Obviously.

No sense cancelling games just to make sure that the 7 month offseason(way too long as it is) is compromised.

Stretch the season by a few weeks.

Another article stated the issue is moving the Super Bowl date because so many things are tied to it with corporations, money, etc...that the league almost cannot do it without significant backlash and as of right now that is off the table.

• Like (+1) 1