Andre Roberts is a plus

Shaw66

I didn't get all the bashing of Roberts around here this summer.  Whenever I see him return kicks, including last season, it seems pretty clear that he has the knack.

Through four games, Bills are seventh in kickoff return average and seventh in punt return average.  Historically, leaders in average do it by having a TD return or too, but the Bills haven't done that.  

I'm sure the special teams are creating the opportunities, but it's obvious that Roberts can read the broken field and take advantage.  

He's an important piece to the team's success.  

• Like (+1) 21

That was a BIG play in the game on Sunday.  It came at a time when we most needed it.

Special teams can be downplayed - especially both the return game, and punting.  A great punt that pins an opponent deep can be just as impactful - we've been lacking that, but hoping it develops.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's tough because the rule changes on kickoffs have essentially neutered the value of a good returner and return unit

And special teams as a whole have become so much better over the last 20 years that there isn't such a disparity between teams or units.  Not like it was in the 80's & 90's

But Roberts is still a top-shelf returner, and key to this team's success.  It's just that the big plays aren't going to be there like in past days.  But consistency is still a plus

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't get all the bashing of Roberts around here this summer.  Whenever I see him return kicks, including last season, it seems pretty clear that he has the knack.

Through four games, Bills are seventh in kickoff return average and seventh in punt return average.  Historically, leaders in average do it by having a TD return or too, but the Bills haven't done that.  

I'm sure the special teams are creating the opportunities, but it's obvious that Roberts can read the broken field and take advantage.  

He's an important piece to the team's success.  

I completely agree that Andre Roberts has a rare knack for reading the broken field & making the most of return opportunities. I really appreciate his abilities. However, my favorite aspect of his abilities as a returner is his decision making. Roberts knows when to fair catch, when to stay away from a kick, and when to go for it on a return. There is little concern about seeing a costly bone-headed decision back there, potentially resulting in a game changing turnover,  when he is on the field. He is a valuable piece of the puzzle on special teams.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

It's tough because the rule changes on kickoffs have essentially neutered the value of a good returner and return unit

And special teams as a whole have become so much better over the last 20 years that there isn't such a disparity between teams or units.  Not like it was in the 80's & 90's

But Roberts is still a top-shelf returner, and key to this team's success.  It's just that the big plays aren't going to be there like in past days.  But consistency is still a plus

This is all true.

Now with as long as FG kickers that obviates the need for a punter and when you are too far, most NFL punters can punt it very deep and/or out of bounds.  The need for returners has greatly diminished in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I completely agree that Andre Roberts has a rare knack for reading the broken field & making the most of return opportunities. I really appreciate his abilities. However, my favorite aspect of his abilities as a returner is his decision making. Roberts knows when to fair catch, when to stay away from a kick, and when to go for it on a return. There is little concern about seeing a costly bone-headed decision back there, potentially resulting in a game changing turnover,  when he is on the field. He is a valuable piece of the puzzle on special teams.

I agree with this and with eball.  He didn't have big returns last season, but I thought his talent was obvious almost every time he touched the ball.  He gets everything out of every return.   And yes, his decision making and his hands are excellent.  

I'm always amazed that some of these skills aren't transferable.   You'd think that what he can do on kick returns would translate somehow into important receiving skills, but he's never been anywhere where he's shown that he can contribute as a receiver.  

I think it worked out great that the team was able to keep both Roberts and McKenzie.   At one point during camp cutdown time, it was down to the wire between the two of them.  The injury to the rookie 7th Rounder and our former FB helped the cause to keep both of them.