McD figured out the old saying "The Best Defense is a Good Offense"

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe that if Allen can improve, so can the staff.

Yes but he doesn't give any credit to the players.  He firmly believes the reason our offense is better is just because McDermott finally wants to score points.  He didn't want to last year.  He actually said these words.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/8/2020 at 4:49 AM, Nihilarian said:

To be honest the Bills are still not running the right offense to compliment the defense. 

This current Buffalo Bills fast, high scoring passing offense is exactly what hurts the defense as they now need to spend more time on the field. 

The Bills would be better off with that same high powered offense but also with a ground and pound run game to eat the clock when needed. Add that Titans run game to the Bills offense and it would truly be perfect.

When they face  a team like the Ravens who had Josh Allen under constant pressure all game last season by blitzing 50-65%. The Bills could start by pounding the ball and wearing them out and then open up that high scoring passing attack. JMO

We can't do that this year because clearly we don't have a strong run blocking OL. I'd love to get up 28-3 and then just shift into Singletary/ Moss gear but we don't have the OL to do this. We are literally going to have to outscore teams this season to 10-12 wins. Games will be high scoring and close every week.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes but he doesn't give any credit to the players.  He firmly believes the reason our offense is better is just because McDermott finally wants to score points.  He didn't want to last year.  He actually said these words.

Actually he wanted to play field position.  We saw that way too often.  He had a tight reign on Allen & the offense.  He seldom seemed to go for the jugualr.  The team barely tried to score above 20 points.  Anyone who didn't see that wasn't watching.

I'll never forget the Bills getting the ball from the Steelers with 2 monutes left 'til halftime and their only goal was to get a first down & run out the clock.  WHen they converted that third down, they celebrated as if they had scored a TD.  It was pathetic & highlighted the coaching philosophy in 2019, play between the 20's, mistakes, milk the the clock and we'll hope the defense stops them.

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I completely disagree with your characterisation of the Houston lost. It was a loss for execution failures by players who should have done better more than a loss for coaching in my opinion. There were 4 or 5 plays in that game and if players execute on any one of them (and they were not difficult plays, Brown, Williams, the three man block failure, the Milano failed wrap up and the coverage panic by Edmunds on 3rd and long) then the Bills move on. 

Did you have to bring that up?  I still get sick thinking about it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually he wanted to play field position.  We saw that way too often.  He had a tight reign on Allen & the offense.  He seldom seemed to go for the jugualr.  The team barely tried to score above 20 points.  Anyone who didn't see that wasn't watching.

I'll never forget the Bills getting the ball from the Steelers with 2 monutes left 'til halftime and their only goal was to get a first down & run out the clock.  WHen they converted that third down, they celebrated as if they had scored a TD.  It was pathetic & highlighted the coaching philosophy in 2019, play between the 20's, mistakes, milk the the clock and we'll hope the defense stops them.

You see messages in your alphabet soup don’t you?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I just don't know how you watch last year's tape and make that conclusion. But there we go.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

McDermott coaches to his talent. He is one of the best Head Coaches in the NFL outside the obvious big name Superbowl winners - Belichick, Reid, Payton, Harbaugh, Carroll. He will want to get some of the issues ironed out on defense and I'm sure he will, but he has always won games the way his talent allows him to.

He won me over the first year he was here going 9-7 with the talent we had. He gets the best out of his players 

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is where I’m at.... good coach who has his flaws on game day.... The conservative offense is no longer an issues at least to start the season so I love that, but the challenges are strange and he’s incredibly bad with them. The one on Sunday was a head scratcher. Just save your TO and score a TD on the next play. 

Biggest issue is the lack of counter adjustments.... We saw it against Houston and we saw it agains the Rams in that ridiculous 2nd half where the Bills looked completely clueless defensively and had no answer.

And then they adjusted second half against LV. Are there coaches out there that don’t get bulldozed on occasion? 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't know how you watch last year's tape and make that conclusion. But there we go.

As opposed to many of you I do not watch tape (though will replay when necessary (as I do tape the games).  I do not do deep dives into the draft or coaches, but will read up on them.

I watch the game with two eyes & see the box score.  This team under McD did not (or would not) throw for 300 yards in 3 years.....  Every team did that every year (except the Bills who somehow managed to do it for 3 years, and next closes may have been a 19 game streak).

The Bills Offense ranked 29, 30 & 24 the past 3 seasons.

Keep repeating the mantra salary cap hell, low payroll, the process, making due with what you have & whatever else you want, but every outsider looking in would have the exact same opinion as me, however you guys are way smarter then everyone else.

Bottom line is I have admitted McD is growing on me, I'm thrilled about the offense and excited this year.  My point is I think they did hold Allen back more then necessary the first two years.

Again look at Justin Herbert and how quickly he has adapted right out of the gate.

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

My point is I think they did hold Allen back more then necessary the first two years.

Again look at Justin Herbert and how quickly he has adapted right out of the gate.

But you haven't provided any evidence to support that point you have just repeated it over and over. Josh was incredibly raw coming out. He just was not capable 2 years ago of playing anything like he is today. I agree they didn't but great talent around him but that is on Beane not McDermott. 

You talk like the Bills put Allen in a straight jacket and didn't let him throw. @Nihilarian argues they asked him to do too much and should have been pounding the rock more. Personally I think they got the balance pretty much spot on.

And actually I do ask outsiders looking in as to your other point. Many of them think the Bills coaching plan in developing Allen has been outstanding. And that includes a guy who I speak to who used to coach in the league. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

They got overly conservative a lot last season and was infuriating to see.... specifically the Steelers game. You could understand why...they wanted to put the game in the hands of their defense against Duck Hodges. Still it was an annoying and somewhat risky strategy because all it took was one big play from the Steelers or missed assignment/tackle from the Bills defense.

I disagree it was "a lot". Washington and Pittsburgh are the only two games that come to mind and they were outnumbered by games where if anything they were too aggressive.

I just don't buy the Allen has been held back. He hasn't. And if he had he wouldn't be producing the performances he is through 4 weeks. He is capable of this now because the Bills have never babied him and shrunk the playbook or focused entirely on half field reads or any of that stuff. They asked the kid to make reads and make throws pretty much from day 1. It was the right approach.