McD figured out the old saying "The Best Defense is a Good Offense"

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's got "the gleam" of a modern-day Marty Schottenheimer.

McD is clearly not yet good in the heat of the battle on gameday itself......and Marty never was either.....but they both leave no stone left unturned in between and get consistent effort and focus and respect from their players.  

Marty was clearly a notch below the all-time greats and mocked a lot here on TSW for his playoff choke jobs.......he had a number of moments like McD's Houston meltdown........but if he had the better QB he probably gets to multiple SB's.

I have also been consistent with my Elway comp for Allen.........which I find interesting because Elway foiled Marty so many times in big games.

Give Marty John Elway at QB in the 80's and things might have been very different.   

Bill Cowher is also a good comp.   He eventually broke thru when he got a young, future HOF QB. 

I don't see the Schotty comparison at all to be honest. Although admittedly late 80s Schotty is before my time. The Schotty I remember in San Diego was trying to grind out every win when he had arguably the most talented roster in the NFL at that point. And I don't think McDermott melted down in Houston. They didn't get conservative in that game - in fact anything but. We lost that game because some of our players froze not because our Head Coach melted. If anyone needs to learn from the experience it is some of the young guys inside the lines. 

2 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

This is all nonsense, except for the bolded part.

So McD told the Pegula's when hired that he will build a #1 defense, draft a project QB @ #7 year 2, bring him along really slow and turn the 24-24 record we had in 2014-16 to 25-23 with one of the worst offenses in the NFL, but come 2020 a Pandemic will hit the world & that QB we selected and babied for 2 years will be an MVP candidate and the Offense will be one of the most potent in the NFL.

Is that what believe happened?

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So McD told the Pegula's when hired that he will build a #1 defense, draft a project QB @ #7 year 2, bring him along really slow and turn the 24-24 record we had in 2014-16 to 25-23 with one of the worst offenses in the NFL, but come 2020 a Pandemic will hit the world & that QB we selected and babied for 2 years will be an MVP candidate and the Offense will be one of the most potent in the NFL.

Is that what believe happened?

Do you make everything in your life this complicated?  I mean...you have to really try to be this ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed... although they got conservative before half time(a constant frustrating theme last year)by giving the ball to Gore deep in Houston territory...

And then the next play they called an endzone shot that Duke Williams flat out dropped. I was frustrated that we stopped running the ball in the 2nd half but that game is more on the players than the coaching. Too many receiver lapses and Josh Allen started playing out of control, plus the defense screwed up a couple opportunities to get them off the field in overtime. The team we have today would destroy Houston in that game.

Edited by HappyDays

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see the Schotty comparison at all to be honest. Although admittedly late 80s Schotty is before my time. The Schotty I remember in San Diego was trying to grind out every win when he had arguably the most talented roster in the NFL at that point. And I don't think McDermott melted down in Houston. They didn't get conservative in that game - in fact anything but. We lost that game because some of our players froze not because our Head Coach melted. If anyone needs to learn from the experience it is some of the young guys inside the lines. 

Yeah if you are looking at his Chargers years then the Schottenheimer comp I am talking about is before your time.   Like I said, by that time Schotty and his teams in the playoffs were a charicature of the previous failed iterations........ like Marv's teams in the Super Bowl after XXV.

Marty in Cleveland and KC didn't so much get "conservative" in the playoffs as he was just trying to do what worked in the regular season.   Predictability + intensified playoff effort from the opponent yielded diminishing returns.   And when things that normally work do not.......those players get nervous.

But like I said...........if he had John Elway instead of Bernie Kosar then things would have been different.   Elway dragged a much more conservative Dan Reeves to 3 Super Bowls with a lot less talent than those Browns.   

As for McD.......I think he did choke in the playoff game last year.    Not being more aggressive trying to score before the half and then not being aware and reactive to the Texans switching their offensive focus to the run in the 3rd quarter were killer in-game mistakes...........and the latter was the result of the former.........not threatening to expand the lead gave the Texans the peace of mind to be patient and take what the defense was giving them.   THAT is where the game turned.   He coached the Texans off the mat.

Like I said though..........I expect he learned his lesson from that.   

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if you are looking at his Chargers years then the Schottenheimer comp I am talking about is before your time.   Like I said, by that time Schotty and his teams in the playoffs were a charicature of the previous failed iterations........ like Marv's teams in the Super Bowl after XXV.

Marty in Cleveland and KC didn't so much get "conservative" in the playoffs as he was just trying to do what worked in the regular season.   Predictability + intensified playoff effort from the opponent yielded diminishing returns.   And when things that normally work do not.......those players get nervous.

But like I said...........if he had John Elway instead of Bernie Kosar then things would have been different.   Elway dragged a much more conservative Dan Reeves to 3 Super Bowls with a lot less talent than those Browns.   

As for McD.......I think he did choke in the playoff game last year.    Not being more aggressive trying to score before the half and then not being aware and reactive to the Texans switching their offensive focus to the run in the 3rd quarter were killer in-game mistakes...........and the latter was the result of the former.........not threatening to expand the lead gave the Texans the peace of mind to be patient and take what the defense was giving them.   THAT is where the game turned.   He coached the Texans off the mat.

Like I said though..........I expect he learned his lesson from that.   

I completely disagree with your characterisation of the Houston lost. It was a loss for execution failures by players who should have done better more than a loss for coaching in my opinion. There were 4 or 5 plays in that game and if players execute on any one of them (and they were not difficult plays, Brown, Williams, the three man block failure, the Milano failed wrap up and the coverage panic by Edmunds on 3rd and long) then the Bills move on. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I completely disagree with your characterisation of the Houston lost. It was a loss for execution failures by players who should have done better more than a loss for coaching in my opinion. There were 4 or 5 plays in that game and if players execute on any one of them (and they were not difficult plays, Brown, Williams, the three man block failure, the Milano failed wrap up and the coverage panic by Edmunds on 3rd and long) then the Bills move on. 

Don't forget the Houston blow to Josh Allen's head in overtime, followed by Houston converting a third & 18......

There were a lot of plays, but then again the Bills did go into their famous post Halftime shell....

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Don't forget the Houston blow to Josh Allen's head in overtime, followed by Houston converting a third & 18......

There were a lot of plays, but then again the Bills did go into their famous post Halftime shell....

The 3rd and 18 was the play I referenced. 

And no, they did not go into their shell, they were plenty aggressive enough after half time.... it was execution that let them down.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean, on the road, in the playoffs if you are conceding the run mid-way thru the 3rd quarter via personnel and scheme decisions with just a 2 score lead against DeShaun Watson.......when your offense has stopped being a threat soon after you pumped it's brakes........you are asking for the momentum to get flipped.  

It's an emotional game.

The team takes on the identity of their coach and his decisions.   I am sure you would agree with this as a general statement........it's kind of why you have been so supportive of his hiring from the outset, is it not?   Then why wouldn't it matter in an actual game?   It matters.  

Yes, they should have still won the game.   Execution is almost ALWAYS the reason a team ultimately loses.  

And the Texans didn't pitch a perfect game from that point on out.........they dangled the victory out there like Shady dangles the ball after catching a screen pass.

But plain and simple...... McD is not good on gameday.

He's gotta' get better in that regard or Josh Allen just needs to go Mahomes and drag him past that.

That's not a massive indictment.......Andy Reid needed Patrick Mahomes to ease his burden to overcome his tendency for in-game playoff misfires.

Being a great decision maker in the moment as well as otherwise being a high quality football coach are not necessarily two things that naturally occur very often.          

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I mean, on the road, in the playoffs if you are conceding the run mid-way thru the 3rd quarter via personnel and scheme decisions with just a 2 score lead against DeShaun Watson.......when your offense has stopped being a threat soon after you pumped it's brakes........you are asking for the momentum to get flipped.  

It's an emotional game.

The team takes on the identity of their coach and his decisions.   I am sure you would agree with this as a general statement........it's kind of why you have been so supportive of his hiring from the outset, is it not?   Then why wouldn't it matter in an actual game?   It matters.  

Yes, they should have still won the game.   Execution is almost ALWAYS the reason a team ultimately loses.  

And the Texans didn't pitch a perfect game from that point on out.........they dangled the victory out there like Shady dangles the ball after catching a screen pass.

But plain and simple...... McD is not good on gameday.

He's gotta' get better in that regard or Josh Allen just needs to go Mahomes and drag him past that.

That's not a massive indictment.......Andy Reid needed Patrick Mahomes to ease his burden to overcome his tendency for in-game playoff misfires.

Being a great decision maker in the moment as well as otherwise being a high quality football coach are not necessarily two things that naturally occur very often.          

I don't agree. I think McDermott is a good gameday coach by and large. He isn't perfect, but few are. The one area I do think he often gets wrong are challenges. But I completely disagree with the implication that he misreads the emotion of games. He is one of the coaches most in touch with the emotion of his team during games in the NFL in my opinion. I think the Bills have won the overwhelming majority of games their talent has given them a chance to win under McDermott and some that on paper it shouldn't. Yes, some of that is that he is a meticulous planner and his team has very rarely come into a game not prepared to compete but some of it is gameday too. His decisions on when to go for 4th down in particular are very sound. 

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Explain?  I have an opinion.....  Yep could be right or wrong.  Many here do exactly what I do, write responses that fit their narrative.

I say "the Bills offense & passing near the bottom since McD took over", which is a fact.

You say "McD had no weapons and was a genious with what he had and a stout defense"

I say "Josh Allen could be further ahead given some weapons and a coaching philosophy to score points"

You say "McD protected Allen because he wasn't ready and see what's happened in 2020"

And at least I am coming around on McD, but still think way too many here drank the McD Koolaid and were happy with one of the worst offenses in the NFL for 3 STRAIGHT SEASONS....

Bring it on......

I say Josh was holding the offense back in 2018 and 2019 not the other way around. And I was absolutely fine with that by the way because they exposed him to everything figuring it would work out long term. And it has.

Sean McDermott is the best thing to happen to this franchise in 20 years. 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

McD has been preaching the need to score more points every year that he’s been here.  

m2c

He however did not practise what he preached.  That Pittsburgh game (yes a win) embodied everything I loathed about the Bills offensive philosophy.  Only the fact they were playing maybe the worst QB in the league saved them.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree. I think McDermott is a good gameday coach by and large. He isn't perfect, but few are. The one area I do think he often gets wrong are challenges. But I completely disagree with the implication that he misreads the emotion of games. He is one of the coaches most in touch with the emotion of his team during games in the NFL in my opinion. I think the Bills have won the overwhelming majority of games their talent has given them a chance to win under McDermott and some that on paper it shouldn't. Yes, some of that is that he is a meticulous planner and his team has very rarely come into a game not prepared to compete but some of it is gameday too. His decisions on when to go for 4th down in particular are very sound. 

1) We can agree on that.  I believe he is now 1 for 13 on challenges.    "Often wrong" is *probably* an understatement though.

2) He is also 0-6 versus his chief rival and the best gameday coach in the league...........and "on paper" he should have won at least a couple of those........he has been clearly outcoached in all of those games.   

Which is really the point........ the bar is set very high in this division.    Some lament that but I think that's a good thing.   "On paper" he should put the broom on Belichick this year and the psychological edge gained by overtaking the best organization in the NFL should allow them to bypass other steps in the championship process.  

FWIW..........I clamored for Marty to be the Bills HC when they had chances.   Ralph just refused to acknowledge his existence.  Something went down there,  I always assumed he must've had a relationship with one of Ralph's daughters or something when he was a player(and simultaneously actively preparing to become a coach).

13 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I think the exact opposite, getting out and scoring points and taking leads usually leads to teams passing more, which plays into the strength of our defense, our pass defense.  

You are thinking last years defense in which the Bills were 4th in passing yards allowed, 2nd in TDs allowed. The 2020 Bills defense so far is no where near as good as last season.

The 2020 Buffalo Bills are currently 17th in points allowed, 20th in yards allowed and an unbelievable 27th in passing yards allowed. 19th in yards allowed per pass attempt. 

Buffalo has been very lucky this season as Josh Allen is tearing it up! A lot on his own too. Think that Rams comeback on 3rd and 22.

Besides, the Bills will need that power run game come winter in the wind, blowing snow...home playoff games would be great.

Remember that 2017 Dec 10th game game against the Colts where neither team had 100 yards passing for the game? It was shady McCoy with 32 rushes for 156 yards and 1 TD that won that OT game. 

Just saying, that the Bills need to work that power run game more often this season. After all Singletary is averaging 4.3 yards per rush attempt and that could be higher with more touches.